CCNA training

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Sicario
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CCNA training

Post by Sicario »

I was looking into getting my Cisco certification, I really have no background in computer networking but just thought that it pays pretty well and I need to study something :P I wanted to ask however, is this still a fairly open market or is it slowing down like a lot of tech industries, and then how long does it take to become a certified CCNA, I was looking at courses, and some are as long as 170 weeks, and others just a few months.
Fyifa Is In Love With Drajjia?
Drajjia is so drugs with Fyifa?

-Can I screw your nephew?
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Re: CCNA training

Post by Roofus »

Sicario wrote:I was looking into getting my Cisco certification, I really have no background in computer networking but just thought that it pays pretty well and I need to study something :P I wanted to ask however, is this still a fairly open market or is it slowing down like a lot of tech industries, and then how long does it take to become a certified CCNA, I was looking at courses, and some are as long as 170 weeks, and others just a few months.
To do it right (i.e. Actually know the stuff) takes ~2 years. That's the way I got mine. I'd look at your local community colleges because odds are they offer a Cisco program (at least they do here) and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than going to one of their training centers.

Also, stay away from the "bootcamps." They'll get you your cert in 6 weeks but you won't know the material; only the test.

Finally, having a CCNA != instant $60,000/year job. It helps, but not as much as a college degree.
Last edited by Roofus on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Like he said take the two year class. It's worth it.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Honestly, it depends on how you learn... I had some prior knowledge of it, played with Ciscos a bit, took a one week class (not a boot camp), and annihilated the exam. That was Mar 2000. By Sept 2000, I had my CCNA/CCDA/CCNP/CCDP. The latter three came between July-Aug 2000. I failed the CCIE qualifier by a point... (if anyone ever asks you about if a router running IPX will respond to a SAP request if there's another server present on the network that can respond, just say "yes, it always will, with the address of the server in question") Of course that being said, I was 23, had already worked for a major business school's IT dept, Microsoft, and a large ISP.

All in all, the computer field is very much a hands-on deal... get an internship where you can play (maybe a small ISP, etc.) You'll learn more there than you can in any class.
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"