Revolution: Classic Game Downloads are Free

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:You'll be going wrong when you pay $200 for a top of the range console so you can play games from 20 years ago. I thought that was obvious.
As opposed to spending $500-$1500 on a computer to do the same thing? :P It's not like the classic downloads are the be-all, end all reason for having the console. The prospect of MarioKart and Smash Bros. online with proper Internet player infrastructure, and perhaps a new Zelda or Metroid or Kid Icarus around the corner, is more than enough reason to at least consider the machine. Having (legal) access to a wealth of classic games is just the straw to break the camel's back, as it were.

</Devil's advocate>
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:You'll be going wrong when you pay $200 for a top of the range console so you can play games from 20 years ago. I thought that was obvious.
As opposed to spending $500-$1500 on a computer to do the same thing? :P It's not like the classic downloads are the be-all, end all reason for having the console. The prospect of MarioKart and Smash Bros. online with proper Internet player infrastructure, and perhaps a new Zelda or Metroid or Kid Icarus around the corner, is more than enough reason to at least consider the machine. Having (legal) access to a wealth of classic games is just the straw to break the camel's back, as it were.

</Devil's advocate>
You aren't the devil's advocate here. This is just an added feature, not a spotlight function of the new system.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2005/0 ... 5,0,0.html

Loosely babelfish translated Iwata quote:
Iwata says, "Though the baseless rumor flows in the internet that the virtual console download service is free,
it is not scheduled to deliver it in free.
maybe download it (old games) as a privilege when consumers buy a new game,
maybe download it by consistent of the campaign at limited time,
variety methods will be used.
Using the properties in the past, I want to take shape that the profit is paid to Nintendo to the end. "
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Can't wait to buy this so I can rebuy all those games i had on the previous consoles.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

[shrug] Yeah, as everybody's probably noticed by now, the story has turned out false. Regardless, there will still probably be a fair number of freebies released to promote new games coming out (something like letting you download Super Smash Bros. when you buy Smash Online, letting people download classic Metroid games to get them pumped for Prime 3, etc.).

Regardless--as been pointed out, it's just a "nice extra." And it makes the games available again, whereas PS3 backwards compatibility with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 both covers a shorter period of time and is limited by the fact that the older media is no longer actually available; it's just people's pre-existing collecitons.

Then again, the concept of a marginal fee doesn't bother me as much as it might some, mainly because I only had an NES and a Gamebrick growing up. Never had a SNES or a '64 until I was out of high school, and even then only briefly. I was always the guy who had to play at his friends' houses, because his parents didn't want their kids spending all their time in front of the TV.

I would much prefer it if the entire catalogue were free, but I can also see how that might hurt Nintendo by (initially, at least) taking quite a bit away from sales of new software. And I do like the idea of making these old games available again in any form, epecially if they can work it out with most of the major third parties--it always boggled my mind how much the video game and film industries get compared, but how different the market aspect actually works.

Movies are in publication and available (at least, the good ones are) for years or even decades, and are cleaned up and rereleased whenever a new format comes out so you can always go get the good stuff, whether you're just upgrading or a brand new shopper building your collection. Games are here and gone, no matter how good or how "classic" they become, consigned to a nebulous fate of being legally out of bounds and facing a very uncertain future in terms of rerelease.

Even if you have to pay for it, and the Revolution classic games service becomes the iTunes of video games, more power to 'em. At least these classics will be readily available to people other than established collectors.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

It's all good so long as they don't charge current game prices for "classics". If they charge nominal amounts like a few ?/$ then fine but there are very few NES/ SNES or even N64 games I would pay ?10/15 to d'load. They'd be cheaper in Gamestation then...

If Nintendo messes up the pricing then already available roms and emulation could kill Revolution just as surely as the mil CD goof up killed DC.

From what I've read from E3 and other interviews I think Nintendo are planning to be fairly generous to us. But if that's just bait then I'm going to stamp my feet and cry, because I sure don't want a PS3.
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
As opposed to spending $500-$1500 on a computer to do the same thing? :P
Well:
1) You wouldnt need to spend that much on a computer anyway to play most of those games, apart from maybe N64 which can be bought quite cheaply anyway
2) I would never buy a computer primarily for emulation anyway.

W hich is kinda my original point, and what you made too. Being able to play a wealth of classic Nintendo games is by no means a bad thing. But I think its ridiculous that some people are finding that is enough justification to purchase the thing. I guess I should expect it on an emulation forum really, but for me new console = new games, not the ability to play classics from 2 decades ago.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

BoneyCork wrote: But I think its ridiculous that some people are finding that is enough justification to purchase the thing. I guess I should expect it on an emulation forum really, but for me new console = new games, not the ability to play classics from 2 decades ago.
It certainly helped sell it for me, but if it hadn't also been GC compatible I probably wouldn't have bothered. Nintendo's online plans, which they have taken years to decide, seem to be pretty wonderful all in and I look forward to using it.

It's that whole package - backwards compatibility with my GC and emulation of every other console, plus probably free online access at least - that has sold it.

Can you imagine how staggering it would have been if the already revolutionary DC online facilities had been free to use? It worked out of the box, flawlessly, but we still had to pay the bill...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

The DC's online features were free with the exception of PSOv2...
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

In the UK (where Hobbes is from) Sega required you to pay per minute using their own dialup ISP to use the DC online.

This only officially changed when they released the final version of Dreamkey which allowed you to use your existing ISP to access the net, but by then the DC had actually 'died' so it was too little too late (of course savvy users had already downloaded the US web browser from here, and changed their ISP connection details prior to this 8-) )
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Dr Wily wrote:In the UK (where Hobbes is from) Sega required you to pay per minute using their own dialup ISP to use the DC online.

This only officially changed when they released the final version of Dreamkey which allowed you to use your existing ISP to access the net, but by then the DC had actually 'died' so it was too little too late (of course savvy users had already downloaded the US web browser from here, and changed their ISP connection details prior to this 8-) )
Yeah. When I got the other browser I did get online free but my ISP now reqquires that you use Dialler software, you can log on using the number but you are prevented from viewing any pages at all. They've also introduced several numbers so that you aren't meant to be able to figure out which one you use... works unless you have a long memory and had the numbers before anyway, but still - no dialler, no net :cry:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Hobbes T Tiger wrote:
BoneyCork wrote: But I think its ridiculous that some people are finding that is enough justification to purchase the thing. I guess I should expect it on an emulation forum really, but for me new console = new games, not the ability to play classics from 2 decades ago.
It certainly helped sell it for me, but if it hadn't also been GC compatible I probably wouldn't have bothered. Nintendo's online plans, which they have taken years to decide, seem to be pretty wonderful all in and I look forward to using it.

It's that whole package - backwards compatibility with my GC and emulation of every other console, plus probably free online access at least - that has sold it.
See I tend to focus more on the fact that I'm paying good money for state-of-the-art hardware and nothing, including Gamecube is going to take advantage of that in anyway. So to buy it just for those things is a bit of a waste.
Id much rather wait it out and make sure the new games library will be up to par too.