Revolution: Classic Game Downloads are Free

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by atf487 »

wait...where will the games go? will the revolution have a hd?

sounds great, though.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Sounds like on the internet flash storage that's 512MB big.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I'd imagine that they could also have you download the game per session. The flash storage can be used for memory saves.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

So, Microsoft's making you pay extra for a TShirt for your avatar on XBox Live.. And Nintendo's giving away games?
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

pixel wrote:I'd imagine that they could also have you download the game per session. The flash storage can be used for memory saves.
N64 games would likely have to be stored in the flash memory, at least temporarilly.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

oh, and here's the actual quote:
GS: Do you plan on having like a per-download pricing model along the lines of the microtransactions that will be used in the next-gen Xbox marketplace?

GH: Well, we can use it in a variety of ways. We've used some of the older games already as little bonuses, either as bonus gifts or hidden in levels of games. Certainly for the first-party titles we'll be making some of those available. We haven't really talked about whether we would sell them. The third parties can make their own decision whether they want to sell them, or maybe they will add it on as sort of a free benefit when you buy a current version of the game.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I know this is definitely getting into the realm of wishful thinking here...but since Nintendo is making all its first-party NES, SNES, and '64 games available as free downloads for Revolution, wouldn't it be great if they did the same thing for DS?

I mean, think about it. You buy a "DS Passport" cartridge or something like that, which is essentially a network interface program. Then, you're given a library of all Nintendo's Gameboy and Gameboy Color games that you can download to RAM and play until you shut your system down. (This would be especially useful since the DS doesn't have classic-GB compatibility).

well its possible, nintendo did say the ds is compatible with the revolution and you will eb able to download demos and stuff to it. so maybe nes games for on the go. possibly snes who knows, but if they would add that it would own even more
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DetunedRadio wrote:wait...where will the games go? will the revolution have a hd?

sounds great, though.
If the Revolution does use memory cards (I believe it was SD cards? not sure) then you could save them on there. Maybe you could open up copying your own ROMs to memory cards some kinda way...
It's thinking...
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Im definately getting this now

DaMadFiddler is right, a similar service for the DS would be sweet. Lets face it, eventually they'll be emulators on the DS and PSP anyway
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Higher Power Hasney wrote:
pavelbure wrote:how about a revamped online version of the cube's mario kart ? maybe something to really launch this thing. either way im most likely getting this anyways.
Well, they got Smash Brothers Onine as a launch title :D
Smash bros online as a launch AAAAAAAAND free classics?

If nintendo doesn't gain a good chunk of gamers this time around there's something wrong with people.

Best news I've heard all week! :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

|darc| wrote:
DetunedRadio wrote:wait...where will the games go? will the revolution have a hd?

sounds great, though.
If the Revolution does use memory cards (I believe it was SD cards? not sure) then you could save them on there. Maybe you could open up copying your own ROMs to memory cards some kinda way...
Nintendo won't allow you to use your own ROMs. I can almost gurantee the only games they'll allow you to run will be in a proprietory format with some simple encryption to keep people from running them on their computers.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

greay wrote:So, Microsoft's making you pay extra for a TShirt for your avatar on XBox Live.. And Nintendo's giving away games?
five bucks says the 360 will still be considered "TeH Gr3ATEsT C0NSoLe EvAR!!!!11!"
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

greay wrote:So, Microsoft's making you pay extra for a TShirt for your avatar on XBox Live.. And Nintendo's giving away games?
OMFG i can get a T shirt with a pic on it i made myself choosing from a limited amount of colors/shapes? :|

unless they really fuck up the controller nintendo has me on board, the gamecube proved to be a very nice machine, good hardware and solid first and second party games, but this time around they will also cover the online gaming and hopefully some good 3rd party support, so i think the rev is gonna be great
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

That's pretty neat, but I have to wonder how they would offset the cost of doing this. While not extremely expensive, the bandwith ain't free.
Very sexy hero, omg
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I was already getting a Revolution, but this guarantees it. Even if I don't have the money :)
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

yeah, im definatly getting a revolution, but i always was. nintendos consoles are always cheaper, and now i can play the mario golf and stuff for the n64 that i could never find to buy...

but, with nintendo doing this, what will there controller look like? didnt they say tehre ditching the a/b button layout and going with something new? do you think since there giving the games away there will be one controller for current gen games and one for previous gen ones?
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Butters wrote:
|darc| wrote:

sounds great, though.
Nintendo won't allow you to use your own ROMs. I can almost gurantee the only games they'll allow you to run will be in a proprietory format with some simple encryption to keep people from running them on their computers.
Did I say they would allow it?
It's thinking...
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

|darc| wrote:I'm there... even though I already was anyway.
yeah, |darc| pretty much sums it up

I've never bought a console on launch day, or even launch year (unless you count the DS). This may be the first.

The idea of Rev>DS compatibility makes me wonder if perhaps the emulation will be portable...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

That's awesome! :mrgreen: Gotta love and support Nintendo for that :kiss)
Insane homebrew collector.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

then their is no way of proving your old games to them
well.... just as long as square is on board I am happy
..... because wouldn't they need to be a part of this in order for super mario rpg to be a part of the deal
.....oh yeah and one more thing
GC games are also downloadable
go to gamespot and watch the conferance yourself
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it