Gaming getting less interesting as you age..?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Nick » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:21 pm

I buy a lot of games, new ones. I just play Halo 2 now; my friends play it, I'm good at it, and it honestly doesn't require that much thought. Fun? Rarely, but I don't really have anything better to do.

The days of getting excited about the latest game are long over for me. All the franchises I really liked have either been stagnant (Banjo Kazooie), bastardized (Deus Ex) or just plain annoying (Final Fantasy X).

The sad thing is, I've been playing games more than ever. I've easily clocked over 450 hours of Halo 2, but other games in that period of time must amount to a max of 20 to 30 hours. This after buying Doom 3, Jade Empire, God of War, Katamari Damacy...the list goes on. I completed Fable though. That was pretty boss.
Very sexy hero, omg
wes1406
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by wes1406 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:48 pm

BoneyCork wrote:I dont play games half as much as I used to. I just have better things to do with my time.
I agree...for instance, I have sex now....
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:01 pm

Some games to me that had me addicted:
Grandia 2: Once I got my DC back in 2003 with this game I played this game for more than 12 hours a day and finished it in 3 days.
MGS (bleemcast ofcourse :D ): Another game that had me hooked like back in the old days. When I finished it I started all over again instantly to get the other ending.
Shenmue 1 / 2: The latest game that had me hooked from the beginning till the end. I couldn't stop playing. And really wanted to finish it.

Other than those I didn't have any other games that could keep me satisfied like some NES games when I was 10. Today I played The Legend of Zelda the whole afternoon. But other than these games there aren't many that I can play whole day without getting bored. Only exception is Settlers series. I'm not even interested in most new games anymore. But that might be because I haven't been looking for those games that do have the quality to entertain me.
But like others already said, I have broadband now, and there are more things in life than gaming.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:54 pm

I go through my moods, from playing old school games for a few weeks to a few months. Then i go and play some 32bit games, then the current consoles. All this retro talk makes me want to play MM 1-6 in one sitting.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:11 pm

Do you mean Might and Magic?
I still have Might and Magic 7 here. Played it a few times but I found it very difficult :(
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:16 pm

I go in cycles. Periods of time go by where I don't pick up a controller for months at a time, and then I have days like today, where I just play games all day. But of course I don't have the uncontrollable desire to play 'em 24-7 like I did when I was 14...
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:11 pm

wes1406 wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I dont play games half as much as I used to. I just have better things to do with my time.
Too bad it had to start so late, eh? :wink:
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
wes1406
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by wes1406 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:33 pm

SYSTEMatic wrote:
wes1406 wrote:
Too bad it had to start so late, eh? :wink:
and end so soon....i have a kid now :roll: :lol:
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:27 pm

SYSTEMatic wrote:Yeah, I was pretty hardcore in the day, but I don't really have much time for gaming now.
Newer games just suck simple as that. While yes a few new games keep you entertained for a while after you beat them there is almost no replay value. I actually am happier with a SNES/Gensis then I am with my PS2/GC. Games just focus on either graphics too much or story too much. not enough on actual content. 8-)
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ominous 0nionfrog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:33 am

Although i certainly have as mich time as ever.. i find games less interesting these days... I've got about 8 ps2 game that i havent beaten yet.. but i cant play them for very long without getting bored...
But some games are still great...(Shinobi,Onimusha series, Viewtiful joe 1+2, skies of arcadia,metroid prime,sonic adventure,final fantasy x, kingdom hearts, way of the samurai 1+2, Blood will tell, Grandia 2, Champions of norrath, Ngihtshade, and about 7 other games...
Out of my 40 or so games of this generation on 25 of them were excellent experiences that i could easily play and enjoy the entire time...

Or maybe i just need to be far more selective in my game purchases...
jaredfogle wrote: Every time you jack off, you kill thousands of "people."
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:36 am

Most games i play now i think are absolute poop, Maybe It's because I'm from a different generation where gameplay came before graphics or maybe It's because I own a PS2 and miss my Game Cube, i dunno?

I do appreciate the odd gem when it comes along though, and of course the Winning Eleven series and TimeSplitters. (Yes, It gives Halo a huge boot up It's baboon like ass. While I'm on the subject of Halo: I constantly keep getting told by a mate of mine, That Halo "the game that changed the face of gaming forever" and Splinter Cell "which owns Metal Gear Solid" are the greatest games of all time and XBOX is gonna take over the world with it's superior games)

But i always end up coming back to my Saturn and my DC every now and again.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:36 am

Matisfaction wrote:Most games i play now i think are absolute poop, Maybe It's because I'm from a different generation where gameplay came before graphics or maybe It's because I own a PS2 and miss my Game Cube, i dunno?

I do appreciate the odd gem when it comes along though, and of course the Winning Eleven series and TimeSplitters. (Yes, It gives Halo a huge boot up It's baboon like ass. While I'm on the subject of Halo: I constantly keep getting told by a mate of mine, That Halo "the game that changed the face of gaming forever" and Splinter Cell "which owns Metal Gear Solid" are the greatest games of all time and XBOX is gonna take over the world with it's superior games)

But i always end up coming back to my Saturn and my DC every now and again.
I've kicked myself forever over selling off my Saturn long ago. Getting my old collection back would be next to impossible financially. But yes, I remember more fun times back then and with some of the earlier PS1 games. Then there was the Genesis before that. Of course, my life was much simpler then.

There are fun games to be had out there for sure with the current generation, but they usually tend to be those games that are great but no one buys (Beyond good and evil, Ico come to mind). But I think those games are a rarity in a sea of mediocre muck. RPGs have always been my favorite, but these days, they tend to be drawn out melodramas. I think Suikoden 2 and Final Fantasy 9 (10 to some extent) were the last ones that left a memorable impression (though Chrono Cross is up there too). But we are talking about games that are 4 years old or older. Maybe that says something when nothing sticks out beyond that.

There were aspects of the original Halo that I did like. It did somethings that were probably new to a lot of people (but not really if you played any of the Marathon games; few did as the first two were Mac only). Halo 2 was and is a mess. I've played the game for about 30 minutes when I got it and it has sat on my shelf since then unplayed. Some impression, eh?
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:04 pm

abydos1000 wrote:I've kicked myself forever over selling off my Saturn long ago. Getting my old collection back would be next to impossible financially.
I actually got my Saturn recently, Can't believe i missed out on it :o , I've been quite lucky as I've managed to get SFA3 and Metal Slug and a few other rare-ish games fairly reasonably. It's mainly the 2D games i always come back to with prolly Nights being an exception.

I seem to have bought a lot more games for my older Systems this year than the current systems I've got.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:35 pm

I really shot myself in the foot when my local game store had Nights, UMK3, Virtua Fighter 2, Bug!, Fighting Vipers, and Sonic R for about 7$ each. Then, one day after my paycheck, they were all bought out. At least I have Resident Evil complete and an av cable for my Saturn.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:26 am

I've become increasingly more interested in the business side of things, but have less time to play games (can't be helped sometimes with 2 kids). I do like going back and playing older games and the problem I'm seeing with gaming now that we didn't have 15 years ago is the fact that a lot of today's ideas are rehashes of old game ideas. There is very little in the way of originality or imagination. This might change with the Nintendo Revolution and Iwata's insistence that the company is going to revolutionize gaming. I hope so, because at this rate, I may eventually not want to play games anymore.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:26 pm

I like playing games as much as I ever did. I just don't have as much time to do it anymore.