Half Life 2 coming to Xbox

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Half Life 2 coming to Xbox

Post by DCFan2004 »

halflife2.net wrote:Half-Life 2 Xbox Information
Jan from our affiliated German site, Half-Life2.de, yesterday posted the exciting news from the Official XBox Magazine who has the first details on the Xbox version of Half-Life 2.
Improved lightning effects - It looks better than on the PC
Loading times don't differ from the PC version due to a new streaming technology
The controls have been adapted to the joypad and auto-aiming has been included
They are still working on the airboat and buggy controls because it is too difficult to steer and shoot at the same time
The Source Engine has been adapted to Xbox so that Xbox developers can license it now
The textures are less detailed than on the PC because of the reduced RAM (only 64 MB)
There will be NO multiplayer in the game, not even via Xbox Live
It's not yet announced if it will be possible to download new content, but there was no clear answer
Estimated release date: Summer 2005 (for the US)
Interesting news for those XBox owners out there. It certainly shoots down a lot of rumours in flames that were starting to insist that Half-Life 2 would become a next-generation title on the XBox 2.

For further information on HL2: XBox catch the latest Official XBox Magazine in the USA or see the original news here.

I saw it in the lastest issue of OXM the other day and I can't wait. First we get Doom 3 ported now we get Half Life 2. They already said there will not be an online multiplayer because the Counter Strike game they released for Xbox is what multiplayer is but they didnt rule out updates that would be released through xbox live.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I could have sworn it was already out....
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

Caboose wrote:I could have sworn it was already out....
Not for Xbox....
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Alright I guess I was wrong, anyways, cool.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Surprising, I thought it was canned...

I think a pretty decent port could be done, especially after playing the likes of Doom 3 & Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath recently.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

I thought it was going to be for Xbox 2.

But this is nice.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Sweet.

Wish they would at least have it on live anyway.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

maybe they'll make some sort of new counter-strike game too...
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Sounds interesting. I actually just finished HL2 for PC a few days ago (I know...it takes me a while to finish games. I have no free time). The no multiplayer part isn't a big loss...though a co-op mode could have been nifty.
F8
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by F8 »

exciting!!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Nice, i'll be picking it up
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

No multiplayer? Aww...co-op on Doom 3 is awesome, it being on HL2 would probably be even better :)
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Half Life 2 coming to Xbox

Post by Nyarlathotep »

DCFan2004 wrote:
halflife2.net wrote: Loading times don't differ from the PC version due to a new streaming technology
Uh... so REALLY LONG load times then? :?
DCFan2004 wrote:
halflife2.net wrote: The controls have been adapted to the joypad and auto-aiming has been included
Because HL2 wasn't easy enough already :?
DCFan2004 wrote:
halflife2.net wrote: The textures are less detailed than on the PC because of the reduced RAM (only 64 MB)
So it will look worse than Doom 3 does? :?

HL2 gets the edge over Doom 3 graphically purely because of its quite superb use of textures - the actual models are much less impressive graphically - if thats being nerfed, its not going to be quite as breathtakingly pretty as the PC version
F8
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by F8 »

I think that's obvious.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Great announcement to hear! I was contemplating on upgrading my PC for HL2 and Doom 3, and now that I'll have both on Xbox then I won't have to :mrgreen:
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

After playing the DC version of HL, I think I will go the right route and pick this up for the PC. I prefer "adventure" style FPS games on the PC, anyways.
Very sexy hero, omg
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

I wonder if the first release will have the stutter hell 'feature' the pc one did taking months to patch it up to try to kill it? :wink:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
F8
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by F8 »

einbebop44 wrote:After playing the DC version of HL, I think I will go the right route and pick this up for the PC. I prefer "adventure" style FPS games on the PC, anyways.
But that's kinda an unfair comparison, don't you think? Yes, the DC version of HL sucked. But the DC specs are way more dated than the Xbox specs. Additionally, HL for DC had horrible controls, whereas Xbox's FPS games are much more controller friendly. I bought Doom3 for Xbox and it's surprisingly good! Xbox cannot compete with high-end PCs in terms of graphics, but on the whole, the Xbox offers a great alternative for those of us who cannot afford to upgrade their PC (and trust me, I cannot. I just spent $1400 on an engagement ring! :o )
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

I may pick it up later on in the xbox's life since I currently have it on the PC. With no new additions to the game I really don't have any motivation to get it.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

F8 wrote:
einbebop44 wrote:After playing the DC version of HL, I think I will go the right route and pick this up for the PC. I prefer "adventure" style FPS games on the PC, anyways.
But that's kinda an unfair comparison, don't you think? Yes, the DC version of HL sucked. But the DC specs are way more dated than the Xbox specs. Additionally, HL for DC had horrible controls, whereas Xbox's FPS games are much more controller friendly. I bought Doom3 for Xbox and it's surprisingly good! Xbox cannot compete with high-end PCs in terms of graphics, but on the whole, the Xbox offers a great alternative for those of us who cannot afford to upgrade their PC (and trust me, I cannot. I just spent $1400 on an engagement ring! :o )
The game isn't gonna be as good on the Xbox, especially if it's just a straight port. Why would I saddle myself with a more expensive, less featured, and worse version when I can play the game as it was meant to be played? Plus, there's not the multitudes of mods etc. for it, so another major aspect of the game is crippled. And no multi-player? It's just looking crappier and crappier.
Very sexy hero, omg