The end of the Dual Shock?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Eckostyle »

Before this turns into a retarted flame war, let me share a friendly reminder.

Everyone has their tastes.

The more you know. *flying star*
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

damn, i just threw out a 3rd party pad a while back, i should have gone all out on it too
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

BlackAura wrote:
now the gc pad would of been much better if they would of put 2 analog sticks on it instead of that dumb ass C stick
It is an analog stick.
The DS/DS2 controllers have my favorite D-Pad on any system.
Bleugh! Try the D-Pad on just about any 16-bit system. The D-Pad on all Sony controllers is absolutely terrible. It can actually be slightly painful to use, especially if you're using it for a long period of time. You have to actually move your thumb around to press the buttons, unless you want a small "X" shape imprinted (painfully) on your thumb, you can't easily press the diagonals, it seems far too stiff, and gives you absolutely zero feedback.

OK, so the D-Pad on the Dreamcast is worse. But just about anything else is better than the D-Pad on the PS controllers. Especially the D-Pad on Sega's old controllers (like the Saturn pad).
i actually don't have a problem with the dc's dpad, its much more responsive than the dualshock. and the saturn had one of the best dpads and button layouts of all time.
BlackAura wrote:
Nope, the standard buttons are pressure sensitive, but you can hardly tell.
They only just pressure sensitive. It's little more than a by-product of how badly they're built.

Try disassembling a DS2, and while you're at it disassemble a DS1 or an original digital PS1 pad for reference. The buttons (all of them, including the D-Pad, Start/Select, the triggers, and the face buttons) are all connected the same way - a button with a protruding bit on the bottom, which pushes down on a little plastic sucker cup, which in turn pushes down on a plastic sheet with wires in it. This mechanism is present in all Sony controllers, and it was chosen because it's a very cheap way to build controllers.

The alleged pressure sensitivity comes from the poor electrical connection that button mechanism gives you. All you need to do is sample the button's state at a sufficiently high rate, and take an average of the number of times it appears to be on. It's entirely software based, and could be done with any controller that doesn't have decent electrical contact on the buttons.

Even on the occasional game that supports it (like Gran Turismo), it only seems to recognise four levels - off, light, normal, and bloody hard (breaking-your-fingers-in-half hard). Crap.
you're lucky i've only ever been able to get three settings, off, normal, and i just broke my finger.

and correct me if i'm wrong but don't all controllers use the same mechanism as the dualshocks for button presses? i could have sworn the dc pads had the same thing(minus the absurd "pressure sensitivity"
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

My favorite D-Pad is the kind found on the Genesis 6-button controller. The kind where it's actually a big circle riding a super short joystick, sorta. I have a SNES controller that was designed to copy that. THAT is the most comfortable controller I've ever used. It's perfect for fighting games.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

and correct me if i'm wrong but don't all controllers use the same mechanism as the dualshocks for button presses?
Not all of them. The PS1 pad was the first one I'm aware of that used pads only. Pretty much everything before that had used microswitches.

In terms of modern gear, I think most portables still use microswitches (the GBA seems to, but I'm not going to disassemble it just to check), and I think all of Nintendo's controllers use microswitches. The Gravis PC pad I have here uses microswitches for the main buttons, and pads for the mode select buttons, and the buttons that are roughly equivalent to start and select. I don't have a clue about the Dreamcast though. At a guess, I'd say it uses fairly stiff pads, which are still better than the soggy pads the PS2 controllers use.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

The bad news is that the Dual shock II will probably remain unchanged apart from the rumble component.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

It is an analog stick.
That may be so, but it's a very very crappy analog stick, now if they would of just used the same one that they have as "The Analog Stick", it would of been much better, other then that i have no problems at all with the gc joypad.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Re: The end of the Dual Shock?

Post by abydos1000 »

Lunchbox wrote:http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=ne ... &id=332037
Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
LOS ANGELES ? The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7 million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.

In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo News)
:o
I'm sure this will result in endless court appeals and legal crap, ending in some license agreement that Sony will have to pay unless they change to something else. If one thinks that this will stop Sony from selling the PS2, then one is dreaming. There will probably be another judge that will throw out that ruling until things are settled.

What irks me the most is that a federal court is involved. That means my tax dollars get wasted over legal BS with a game controller :evil: .
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

greay wrote:Am I alone in not caring? I'm perfectly comfortble using any of the controllers I've tried.
I agree. The only controllers I haven't liked are the N64 controllers and the original X-box controller.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Again, I'm one of the few people here that liked tha n64 pad :?

I have pretty big hands (not fat, just big) and I thought the N64 pad worked really well for a lot of games.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

Covar wrote:i actually don't have a problem with the dc's dpad, its much more responsive than the dualshock. and the saturn had one of the best dpads and button layouts of all time.
I actually can play better Guilty Gear X on the DC than Guilty Gear X2 #Reload on my Xbox. Thanks the actual D-Pad for that (not 4 buttons)
Eckostyle wrote:Before this turns into a retarted flame war, let me share a friendly reminder.

Well, the "DildoShock" (Sony's new name for the controller?) has 4 buttons. If someone says that it has a D-Pad... is just wrong.
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

Untamed wrote:Quit hating the DualShock. I like them. Better than Xbox controller, which hurts my hands, and better than GameCube with it's bad layout. Oh, and am I the only one who uses Dpad for fighting games? They're not placed very well on Xbox or GC controller. And even though the PS controller has a sectional dpad, at least you don't have to move your wrist in awkward postitions to use properly.
:roll:
"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity cannot."
Roofus wrote:Gay marriage and donkey rape are the same thing. Duh. :roll:
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

THE ONLY OPINION THAT MATTERS IS MINE
With that being said, the Atari 2600 has the best controller.
EVERYONE ELSE IS A FANBOY EXCEPT ME NOW STOP FLAMING KPLZDIE
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

pixel
Nintendo's #1 Fan
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Caboose wrote:
pixel
Nintendo's #1 Fan
Yeah?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

pixel wrote:
Caboose wrote:
pixel
Nintendo's #1 Fan
Yeah?
Don't worry about him. He didn't get the joke.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Eckostyle wrote:Before this turns into a retarted flame war, let me share a friendly reminder.

Uhh.... no. Some things are facts; some things are opinions.

I just don't see how you could purchase any video game product unrelated to Miyamoto in any way.
It's thinking...
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

|darc|, really, start acting like a mod, and dont try to bait me into flaming. It's retarted.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote:Again, I'm one of the few people here that liked tha n64 pad :?
I loved it.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

|darc| wrote:

Uhh.... no. Some things are facts; some things are opinions.

I just don't see how you could purchase any video game product unrelated to Miyamoto in any way.
|darc| wrote:Right, like I have nothing better to do than going on forums and trying to get people to fall into a ban trap.