Nintendo News (DS Online, Zelda, Mario 128, & more)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Nintendo News (DS Online, Zelda, Mario 128, & more)

Post by DaMadFiddler » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:19 pm

IGN posted an interview earlier today with Reggie Fils-Aime, the head PR man for Nintendo's North American branch. GamesAreFun later summarized the article, extracting the most valuable points:
News - Reggie hints at online plans, Mario 128, and more

Posted by Josh Freund at 11:34:11 PM EST on 3.9.2005.

IGN had the chance to interview Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo's now-famous executive vice president of sales and marketing earlier today at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. The interesting points of the interview are summarized below:

-Reggie: "I definitely enjoy kicking ass more than taking names."

-The long-awaited Mario 128 will be shown at this year's E3, most likely in video form, rather than playable form. Nintendo is still deciding whether it should be a GameCube or Revolution title.

-The Legend of Zelda GameCube game will be launching this holiday season.

-Nintendo is, unsurprisingly planning several big surprises for this year's E3 in May.

-As previously speculated, Satoru Iwata will indeed be making announcements about online & wireless plans for the DS at his keynote address tomorrow. Nintendo will be sharing a lot more about this throughout the year.

-Reggie: "We'll be launching wireless enabled games on DS this year. Could that framework be compatible with Revolution? Certainly it could. We'll be talking more about that, again both tomorrow and at E3. But it's very important for your community out there to understand that we see the potential for Internet play for all of our platforms to be a huge opportunity and something that we're going to be driving very aggressively."

-Reggie admits Nintendo hasn't done a good job of providing tools to developers for online GameCube games. Nintendo will make sure they don't make that mistake again with future systems (so it looks like they'll have an online plan for Revolution).

-Nintendo will not be late with the Revolution. They will launch with their competitor, which they consider to be Sony. Revolution development kits will be on their way on time.

-Nintendo will be a more agressive company this year. Their current market share is about 32%; Reggie wants 40%.

-Reggie: "Who is the most likely suspect to be working on Revolution? Probably a studio like Retro."

-The "Game Boy Evolution," "Game Boy 2," etc. rumors are just that - rumors. It's just speculation. Nintendo has "got some time to go" before its next portable system.

-Pokemon XD is a brand new Pokemon RPG coming out later this year. It's not a Pokemon Colosseum sequel.

-Reggie: "If you loved Ruby and Sapphire, you're going to love Pokemon XD for GameCube."

And that's about it. Look for a lot more info on Nintendo's online plans, Revolution, a new Legend of Zelda video, and more tomorrow at about 10:30 AM Pacific / 1:30 PM Eastern time, when Nintendo president Satoru Iwata gives his keynote address at the GDC.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:23 pm

i'm hard.

but on a serious note i think its best for nintendo to hold ario 128 off until the revolution.

if they want amrio to make a huge impact its best on a new system at launch.

plus if tis as inovative as mario 64 was in its time. and being the true sequel to the game, it should be on the system thats set to start a revolution.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:47 pm

Pokemon XD is a brand new Pokemon RPG coming out later this year.
They should have done this years ago. Not that I find Pokemon all that interesting really (it's OK, but nothing spectacular), it's good that they're finally going to do it, although it might be a little late now. Of course, I'd rather they do it right than rush it and end up with a load of rubbish.

(Looks at other Pokemon games for GC, and N64)

Oh, they've already done the rubbish.

Come to think of it, a Pokemon online game would probably be pretty good. Maybe on Revolution. I somewhat doubt they'd do it on the 'Cube.
The Legend of Zelda GameCube game will be launching this holiday season.
Cool. So we'll get it sometime in December next year... Nintendo's Australian division are utterly useless.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:33 am

BlackAura wrote:.
The Legend of Zelda GameCube game will be launching this holiday season.
Cool. So we'll get it sometime in December next year... Nintendo's Australian division are utterly useless.
It wouldn't surprise me if they pushed for a worlwide simultaneous / close to simultaneous launch like they did for OoT.

I thik it's pretty clear expectations for it are riding high.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:51 am

for pokemon, they should make a mmoprg type game for the revolution. and for the next gameboy gbe or whatever they call it. , since nintendo loves connectivity between pokemon gmaes, this could work as a major advantage.

say you can play the mmo on the revolution , and on gameboy. that way wherever you are , the game is with you :)

but a pokemon mmo would need a mix of stadium within the world, so everyone catching new pokemon, training them, and taking theminto battles for championsjips round the world. also have other game missions like stuff happening in the world, with bad guys taking over the world and stuff. and other small missions to keep the game fresh.

they could use the gameboy for differenty style of gaming and revoultion for dif style like the stadium battles and such.

i'm sorry for being insane, not a huge pokemon fan, but they are kinda cool for handheld play :)

I just want bigger :)

me creams pants for advance wars ds online, mario kart online, goldeneeye online. animal crossing ( more so if mmorpg rumors are infact true)
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:02 am

I like I like :D
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:40 pm

They should wait til the revolution hits and maybe release with it, like Super mario world with snes. It would certaintly sell some units.

As far as online goes, as stated in one of the recent issues of EGM, Nintendo doesn't see the online market as profitable, I guess. Why else would they be excluding themselves from this market. Last time I checked, online playing accounts for a good margin of sales. So, really why the fudge not?

:oops: Wouldn't that piece of crap Mario Sunshine be considered Mario 128 since it has a lot of borrowed elements from Mario 64. Heck, the first time I played Mario sunshine, it reminded me so much of Mario 64...
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:47 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/10 ... 20151.html

yay mario kart and animal crosing online :)
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:17 pm

Smiley wrote: As far as online goes, as stated in one of the recent issues of EGM, Nintendo doesn't see the online market as profitable, I guess. Why else would they be excluding themselves from this market.
The article at the top of this page that presumably you wouldn't bother replying to if you hadn't actually read wrote: But it's very important for your community out there to understand that we see the potential for Internet play for all of our platforms to be a huge opportunity and something that we're going to be driving very aggressively.
ahem?
Last time I checked, online playing accounts for a good margin of sales. So, really why the fudge not?
You consider less than 1% of a consoels installed userbase a 'good margin'?
Wouldn't that piece of crap Mario Sunshine be considered Mario 128 since it has a lot of borrowed elements from Mario 64.
I don't know what the piece of crap Super Mario Sunshine would call itself, but the fun, polished but sadly short lived game Super Mario Sunshine would probably call itself a 'spinoff' platformer, being set in an entirely seperate location of the Mario Universe than the mushroom kingdom, and featuring entirely new enemies.

Clue: Mario is ON HOLIDAY in it.
Heck, the first time I played Mario sunshine, it reminded me so much of Mario 64...
Funny, the first time I played Megaman X it reminded me of Megaman, despite not being a sequel at all
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:24 pm

:oops:

I read most of it, and got bored. I am interested in seeing just how Nintendo plans to get more aggresive in terms of online and garnishing a larger market share.

Hiring Fils was, imo, one of the best desicions by Nintendo to improve their "tarnished image"

And I have been saying that all along about the mega man games.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:34 pm

yup mario sinshine was awesome, but more interested in mario 128, nintendo better hold it for the next gen. make it included in console would so help nintendo
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:41 pm

gamedudex2 wrote:yup mario sinshine was awesome, but more interested in mario 128, nintendo better hold it for the next gen. make it included in console would so help nintendo
I am more interested in the new Legend of Zelda, in which Link will look more "mature" I love the Zelda games, and although a good game, the look in Wind Waker didn't appeal much to me. It was gorgeous, just not my thing....
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:46 pm

because some people won't click the link...
gamespot article wrote:Hot on the heels of J Allard's keynote at GDC, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata outlined his own company's future plans in even more detail at the San Francisco event.

After walking on stage, Iwata briefly talked about his background in game development. Then he whet loyal Cubers' appetites by showing a trailer for the forthcoming, still-untitled Legend of Zelda. The trailer (viewable here) showed the new, grittier version of series hero Link engaging in a series of Lord of the Rings-like adventures, including battling orc-like creatures and visiting a cave full of ghostly warriors.

After the lights came back up, Iwata announced that, four months after its release, the DS is going online. Starting later this year, Nintendo "will provide users with a link to other players across the country or around the world," according to a statement from Nintendo. DS owners will be able to connect to Nintendo's online service, which will be free, from any wireless hotspot using the DS's wireless connectivity, and play other owners of the dual-screen portable online. He said Nintendo's online infrastructure for the device--i.e. servers--was "already in place."

As further icing on the DS cake, Iwata also revealed that Nintendo is developing a new Animal Crossing title specifically tailored for online play. He also showed off the DS's offline Wi-Fi capabilities in a "spontaneous" eight-player Mario Kart DS game. Iwata also updated the audience on the DS's sales figures to date--over 4 million to date.

Last but certainly not least, the at-times controversial executive gave the world the first information on Nintendo's next-generation console, code-named Revolution. Confirming earlier rumors, Iwata said the device would have built-in wi-fi connectivity, "which will allow users around the world to connect with one another wirelessly." While he carefully avoided the word "online," Iwata implied that Nintendo will apparently reverse its long-standing policy of abstaining from online gaming with its forthcoming machine, saying it would have the sort same wi-fi functions as the soon-to-be-online DS. He also said development kits for the device would be sent out by the time of the E3 expo in May and that it would be backwards-compatible with GameCube titles.

Iwata also let the audience peer into the guts of the Revolution, which he more elegantly referred to as the device's "technological heart." Like the next Xbox, it will be powered by a custom central processor from IBM, in this case code-named "Broadway." It will also sport a graphics card--code-named "Hollywood"--from ATI, which is also making the GPU for the next Xbox. ?We?re excited to be developing the graphics chip set for Revolution, which continues our longstanding relationship with Nintendo,? said ATI president and CEO Dave Orton in a statement.
all i can say is a free online service (hopefully similar to live) for the DS is awesome.
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:50 pm

i thought miyamoto confirmed mario 128 was going to be a cube title not rev. now all of a sudden its up in the air. i would rather it be on cube considering cube doesn't really have a great mario platformer sure sunshine was nice ,but it was too tedious it focused too much on the collecting things unlike mario 64 did it too ,but it had a hell of a lot more action in it. its nice to hear Zelda is going to be this holiday i can't wait for that game i just recently beat minish cap ,and i got it like a week or 2 ago so i need a new zelda fix. as far as pokemon goes i never really played a pokemon game but maybe when this new one for cube comes out ill give it a go. and with revolution im not all that excited about it considering i think the rotation of systems comes too fast anymore without even bothering to really take full advantage of the hardware thats out there now. i still find my cube to have a lot of life left in it ,and great gameplay to offer me so i think i may bypass this next gen set of consoles until they are out for awhile unless revolution is going to be backwards with cube ,and eb or gamestop has some sort of trade in deal going on for revolution.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:56 pm

Id just assume playing Mario 128 on the GC. Im not ready to buy yet another system.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:07 pm

new systems dont really come that fast. lookmat pc gaming every few months.

mario in gc wont sell as well, mario on rev would. no one plays gamecube much compared to ps2 unfortunatly. and owners of other systems wont really buy a gc since the next gen is coming.

but say they change nad use mario to show off the rev and include it with conole. that would totally own.

only thing could be better would be for nintendo to go full force with the revolution online, and also include a free mmorpg. :) doubt that but still would totally own.

for now i really do hope metroid prime hunters on ds is online :)

also advance wars
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:10 pm

gamedude im meaning they come out to fast compared to the good old days of gaming when we had nes snes and genisis....i mean nes came out in 83(maybe wrong on these dates) didn't finally completely end until i believe 94 snes came about around 90/91 didnt die out till about 98 not too sure of genisis's life span but it was pretty long. hell even psx's life span was long if i recall it came out around 94 didnt die until a year ago now look at ps2 came out around 2000 now its going to die 2006 cube and xbox 2001 now end around 2006. and it these short time spans nobody really pushes the hardware like they could most of the times we get half assed 3rd party titles for all 3 consoles. then your saying mario would be better on rev cause no ones going to play on cube. what makes you think people are really going to play it more on rev. a microsoft or sony fans aren't going to suddenly jump boat just because a new mario title is launching on nintendo's new next gen console. especially since most of those people have been soured by nintendo's more games for "everyone" approach (or as some call it childish) with its games. i mean mario is great ,but he isn't enough reason to justify jumping boat from a cube to rev or any other system for that matter.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been liked: 3 times

Post by pixel » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:12 pm

I would rather Nintendo release Mario 128 on the Rev for an added boost for marketing. It'd be even greater if they had two mario games. :) BTW, I don't want to sound mean when I say this. Some of you, it is an absolute hassle to read what you post. Just consider that next time you post kplzthx. :D
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:11 pm

i know comapred to then ya this is short.

but back to mario 128, see smalelr userbase and no ones really goign to jump to the gamecube with next gen systems coming.

and with mario 128 at rev launch thats a great boost for nintendo. a major launch title and whatever else they have.

plus i hope the rumor true aboutut re launch. the same person that leaked the ds stuff ebfore anyone else knew

said that nintendo will have a mario, zelda, and smash bros online game for laucnh

if that true nintendo is my god.

either way i'd get mario 128. but as close to the end as we are would you ratehr see mario succed than pull a conkers bad fur day by comign towards end and hardly anyone buying. compared to how it would have done a year or 2 ago. even though being a f'n awesome game?

i'd rather see mario lead the revolution into the new generation
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:14 am

My thoughts on the wrap-up:
-The long-awaited Mario 128 will be shown at this year's E3, most likely in video form, rather than playable form. Nintendo is still deciding whether it should be a GameCube or Revolution title.
I have mixed feelings about this title. Sure, it will probably rock considerably harder than Mario Sunshine, but there still looms this feeling that it will not live up to the ridiculously high standard that they set almost 10 years ago. This is one of those games that people want to play more of the same, and yet Nintendo insists on changing the scheme. I'll hold my breath for the E3 showing.
-The Legend of Zelda GameCube game will be launching this holiday season.
I pray hard for an excellent preorder incentive again, although Nintendo really doesn't have as much to worry about this time. Wind Waker was a huge risk, and the bonus Ocarina of Time disc was used as incentive to help move copies. There is no risk this time, though, and the game is destined to sell through the roof, so they probably won't bother with a huge preorder special this time. However, I will still dream of something good (that doesn't include the blasphamy that EGM suggested).
-Nintendo is, unsurprisingly planning several big surprises for this year's E3 in May.
I'm sure they won't have anything earth shattering like they did last year. Still, my predictions are:
1. A new Metroid game, either for Gamcube or, more likely, for Revolution
2. A whole line of Nintendo mascots headed for the DS (including, if I had to guess, Smash Brothers DS with wireless capabilities)
3. Some big announcement about a third party developer (I'm guessing Square)
4. Some kind of new connectivity between the DS and the Gamecube
-Reggie: "We'll be launching wireless enabled games on DS this year. Could that framework be compatible with Revolution? Certainly it could. We'll be talking more about that, again both tomorrow and at E3. But it's very important for your community out there to understand that we see the potential for Internet play for all of our platforms to be a huge opportunity and something that we're going to be driving very aggressively."
They may say their competitor is Sony, but it sounds like they are getting ready to do battle with Microsoft with this one. MS is suggesting some big things with Live, and the way it sounds, Nintendo wants to make sure it has a hand in the game. It still doesn't sound like Nintendo is big on the idea of online gaming, but this way if Live takes off, Nintendo at least will have a card to play this time.
-Reggie admits Nintendo hasn't done a good job of providing tools to developers for online GameCube games. Nintendo will make sure they don't make that mistake again with future systems (so it looks like they'll have an online plan for Revolution).
My guess is that they will probably go the same route as they did with the Gamecube; offer online capabilities that developers can take advantage of, but not take advantage of it themselves. In other words, third party developers will be marketing online play, not Nintendo. I won't hold my breath for many, if any, online first party games (console-wize).
-Nintendo will be a more agressive company this year. Their current market share is about 32%; Reggie wants 40%.
Translation: Less risks, more sequels.
-Reggie: "Who is the most likely suspect to be working on Revolution? Probably a studio like Retro."
Which backs my previous statement of seeing a Metroid game at E3. My guess is it will be their single biggest title to show off the power of Revolution.
-The "Game Boy Evolution," "Game Boy 2," etc. rumors are just that - rumors. It's just speculation. Nintendo has "got some time to go" before its next portable system.
Smart move, obviously, but I remain skeptical about what "got some time to go" actually translates into in years. I have this terrible suspicion that something is going to arise almost immediately after Revolution's launch. I would place money on the fact that Gameboy 2 will appear at 2006's E3, as terribly unwize as that would be. DS to combat PSP's launch, GB2 to combat PSP's growth, and a oversaturated market to try to release it on. We'll see how true this prediction turns out to be.
-Pokemon XD is a brand new Pokemon RPG coming out later this year. It's not a Pokemon Colosseum sequel.
Little too late for this one. I'm sure they were holding out in hopes to use this game to put people's interests back into Pokemon. However, this is something that should have been done years ago when it was winding down. However, several crappy console Pokemon games later, the excitement is more of a curiousity rather than a craze. This could have been huge 2-3 years ago.
-Reggie: "If you loved Ruby and Sapphire, you're going to love Pokemon XD for GameCube."
Compare the number of people that actually played Ruby and Sapphire to the number of people that played Pokemon games on the Gameboy prior to them. I would guess that sales for Ruby and Sapphire combined could not compare to the sales of a single cartridge that preceded them. Thus further proves my point on the the franchise stated above.