Gasoline prices up again

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Its terrible, I mean we need to start opening up the alaskan pipeline very soon... Or find another alternative fuel source.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

This is what I think is the best idea.
SchmuckofNI wrote:Its terrible, I mean we need to ... find another alternative fuel source.
Oil is a finite resource, and one which under the current system leaves us dependant on foreign interests for our economic survival. Our economy would be crushed very easilly if the supply of foreign oil were cut off. This is not to say that foreign trade is necessarilly bad, but when we can't do without a particular comodity from outside our own country it does leave us very vulnerable. If we find a viable alternative to petroleum, we could then utilize what we have for manufactured goods or simply export it to other countries still utilizing it for fuel.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Butters wrote:
SuperMegatron wrote:
Butters wrote:
curt_grymala wrote:Yeah - I heard on the news a little while ago that experts are predicting prices will go up by $0.25/gal this weekend.

I still remember when gas was less than $0.80 per gallon. :evil:
You also remember when 20 oz. cokes were $.75 and candy bars were $.40. Inflation is a bitch.
20 oz cokes were never $.75 that was 16 oz ones the price went from 75-79 then they introduced 20 oz ones at .99. Candy bars are still 3 for a dollars and most gas stations So they arent good examples of inflation car prices are the best thing to site. 1980 cars ran about 3500 now they are 13,000 for the low end.
Actually when the 20 oz cokes debuted here they sold for $.50 for several months before the price went up. Candy bar prices have stayed the same but the size of the bar has decreased. Inflation effects all things, not just expensive items, though they are the most noticable examples.

At the Wal-Mart in which I work, 20 oz. Cokes are .75 cents from the vending machine. They're $1.09 from the cooler.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

SchmuckofNI wrote:Its terrible, I mean we need to start opening up the alaskan pipeline very soon... Or find another alternative fuel source.
I have my doubts about the Alaskan pipeline reducing the price of gas much.

I also think people bitch way too much about gas prices. In 1990, gas cost over $1 a gallon, national average.. We're not talking that gigantic of a raise for a 15 year period.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

I remember gas was under $1 when I turned 16. Then two months later when I got a car, they were like $1.74. This was a few years ago.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

TreyDay wrote:I remember gas was under $1 when I turned 16. Then two months later when I got a car, they were like $1.74. This was a few years ago.
Yeah, there was a sharp drop in the late 90s for some reason. Anyone got a clue what was up with that?
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
OldSkoolGamer
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by OldSkoolGamer »

In my town it went from $1.98 to $2.13.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

2.32 for 87 regular here
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Lartrak wrote:
TreyDay wrote:I remember gas was under $1 when I turned 16. Then two months later when I got a car, they were like $1.74. This was a few years ago.
Yeah, there was a sharp drop in the late 90s for some reason. Anyone got a clue what was up with that?
Not really, but it's all objective anyway. The cost of crude oil doesn't really effect the cost of gasoline or fuel oil, and it absolutely does not effect those prices right away. The prices of gasoline and fuel oil are actually regulated, and the fluctuating costs of crude oil are always balanced out over a long period of time. The merchants selling the gasoline and fuel oil simply use news of that sort to raise their prices. There is no other real rhyme or reason behind it, but everyone's got accustomed to the fact that they do so, and so we naturally blame the high cost of crude oil.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I have an odd idea, why not tax people who drive insanly large vehicles per mile, and get the goverment hands out of it. I know in NJ there is a 22% gas tax. Why not tax the people that are using more for driving up the cost. Just don't tax vehicles used for comercial or govt use.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:I have an odd idea, why not tax people who drive insanly large vehicles per mile, and get the goverment hands out of it. I know in NJ there is a 22% gas tax. Why not tax the people that are using more for driving up the cost. Just don't tax vehicles used for comercial or govt use.
I remember in California, I think it was, they were considering taxing people by the mile - thereby punishing people for driving lower mileage vehicles, in a roundabout sort of way (well, not exactly, but the increase in gas mileage of vehicles was the reason they proposed it). Of course, this new system did not take into account the size or weight of vehicles (which it should, since heavier vehicles damage the road more).
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

arrowhead wrote:I miss 2.11 per gallon. Today I paid 2.27 for 87 friggin octane. I am thanking God that my vehicle doesnt need 91 supreme.
No car that i'm aware of requires higher octane than 87.
racketboy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by racketboy »

I'm glad I got out of California -- gas prices are extra-bad out there
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Invisix wrote:
arrowhead wrote:I miss 2.11 per gallon. Today I paid 2.27 for 87 friggin octane. I am thanking God that my vehicle doesnt need 91 supreme.
Unless you're cool and your car is chipped.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

btm4k wrote:
Invisix wrote:
Don't forget the wings and flames, they make it need better gas.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

btm4k wrote:
Invisix wrote:
Or you have a luxury or performance car.
All the new lincolns need it and so does lexus, and some acuras I beleive.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

hearld500 wrote:
btm4k wrote:
Invisix wrote:
Or you have a luxury or performance car.
All the new lincolns need it and so does lexus, and some acuras I beleive.
A lot of higher-end cars require more than 87, as do a lot of light trucks. They might not require[/it it, as they will run on 87, but they'll make a hell of a lot of noise, and won't last nearly as long.
I have an odd idea, why not tax people who drive insanly large vehicles per mile, and get the goverment hands out of it. I know in NJ there is a 22% gas tax. Why not tax the people that are using more for driving up the cost. Just don't tax vehicles used for comercial or govt use.

They aren't taxing by the mile, but around here (in the Baltimore/Washington area) there is a personal property tax hike going into effect for people that own large vehicles (like Hummers, Expeditions, etc.)
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

curt_grymala wrote: They aren't taxing by the mile, but around here (in the Baltimore/Washington area) there is a personal property tax hike going into effect for people that own large vehicles (like Hummers, Expeditions, etc.)
I disagree with those taxes. There no reason that the government should discriminate against bigger vehicles. Besides, they are making more money off the bigger vehicles with gas taxes.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Never mind. I re-read the post.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

hearld500 wrote:
curt_grymala wrote: They aren't taxing by the mile, but around here (in the Baltimore/Washington area) there is a personal property tax hike going into effect for people that own large vehicles (like Hummers, Expeditions, etc.)
I disagree with those taxes. There no reason that the government should discriminate against bigger vehicles. Besides, they are making more money off the bigger vehicles with gas taxes.
Because they damage the roads more. Plain and simple.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead