The Ring (People find this scary?)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

The Ring (People find this scary?)

Post by navi » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:41 pm

What's the big deal with the movie The Ring. I went to go watch it after a while seeing as how the second came out so I watched them back to back. but I mean People actually consider this scary? I was bored off my ass :lol:
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:58 pm

i watched Ringu (the original jap version) and it was quite confusing mostly, but thats jap movies for you
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:56 pm

If a movie startles you during certain scene, then fine, but if you're older than 12 and a movie actually scares you, then there's something wrong with you.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:05 pm

The US remake was pure poop comparing to the original Japanese Ring(u). Same goes for The Grudge, the US remake of Ju-On.

Unfortunately you can't enjoy Ring(u) now after you know the US Ring... but get your hands on Ring 2 and 0 (both Japanese).
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:13 pm

farrell2k wrote:If a movie startles you during certain scene, then fine, but if you're older than 12 and a movie actually scares you, then there's something wrong with you.
Some people have very active imaginations. I wouldn't really say it is something WRONG with you.

Perhaps YOU just can't get into movies the way other people do. Something wrong with your brain perhaps.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:17 pm

farrell2k wrote:If a movie startles you during certain scene, then fine, but if you're older than 12 and a movie actually scares you, then there's something wrong with you.
Yea I agree, I think the most a movie really becomes scary anymore is the classic silence then big monster jumping out and a bunch of screaming. Its hard not to jump when that happens.

Something I was noticing about scary movies. Anyone else ever feel about the only movies children really act well in are scary movies? I mean all these kiddy movies and such kids look like they have no acting talent period, but in a scary movie they are usually the scariest thing in the movie.
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:55 pm

Freeze wrote:The US remake was pure poop comparing to the original Japanese Ring(u). Same goes for The Grudge, the US remake of Ju-On.
Ju-On sucked ass. There was my girlfriend, myself, and a total of 3 other people in the theater. The best part was when that schoolgirl went crazy and the other two came to visit her. When the two (non-crazy) ones came out of the house and looked at each other, I blurted out "Time to remove her from the social calendar". Otherwise, that movie was lame. I didn't even bother seeing The Grudge...
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:12 pm

I watched it once--I was expecting fun and frightenment.

Got neither and fell asleep half way through.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:18 pm

the ring was the funniest damn thing ive seen in ages

my and a friend where laughing at the horse on the boat bit because its so random - the mood makes it mad:
[Start of Scene]
horse goes nuts and jumps on cars
quick camera shot of random bloke going to punch the horse in fear
horse runs after whats-her-face
{start of dramatic music}
horse jumps at woman after she ducks infront of the end of boat
{start slow motion}
horse clips legs on boat
{end music and slo-mo}
*thud* *crazy horse noises* *splash*
[end scene]

dont get me wrong, im against violence and cruelty to all animals - but it was damn funny after i dont know, 20 times
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:07 pm

I didn't find either The Ring or The Grudge to be that scary; somewhat disturbing, but not scary. Actually, I thought the dead mother in the Grudge was kind of cool when she was coming down the stairs; kind of reminded me of a wiggling twisted thing out of a Silent Hill Game that you have to kick until it is dead.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:24 pm

jtnewman wrote:I didn't find either The Ring or The Grudge to be that scary; somewhat disturbing, but not scary. Actually, I thought the dead mother in the Grudge was kind of cool when she was coming down the stairs; kind of reminded me of a wiggling twisted thing out of a Silent Hill Game that you have to kick until it is dead.
I think that's the problem honestly. The movies are trying to go for a RE/SH Suspense feel. but a very very watered down version of it. and instead of coming off as scary. it's just coming off as sad :?
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:25 pm

Not scary but it was a good yarn :P
Dust on the Dreamcast
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:46 pm

I liked the first one; since I didn't know of its import origins, I found the plot both interesting, and original....

The scene with the horse on the boat made me chuckle....cannot wait for the sequel. Any announcements as to when it will be released?
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:47 am

Didn't the sequal come out yesterday (Friday 2/18/05)?