Creative CEO talks about the iPod

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Creative CEO talks about the iPod

Post by Roofus » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Q: What is your take on Apple's iPod Shuffle?

A: We were preparing for a big fight. [We expected] they would come out with something very cool, very sexy. It turned out totally opposite, something like our first-generation product?no display, no radio, very simple. I believe we had this kind of thing more than three years or four years ago. You can say it's cool; I say it's plain-Jane.
Link
Last edited by Roofus on Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:50 pm

i agree, i used to have an old school nomad muvo, i had it over a year ago, and the desing was over a year old back then, it had all functions as the ipod shuffle, except ironicly, shuffle, which doesnt matter to me anyway, my new player has it, and i neevr use it

IMHO, the Ipod shuffle is overpriced, underfeatured and inferior in design to (most) of creatives players, but hey, im just a creative fanboy, so why trust me?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:08 pm

Everything + exactly what DrFreeze said
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:01 pm

Considering the fact that the closest Creative competitor is $30-$50 more expensive, how exactly is the iPod Shuffle too expensive?

Admittedly there are more features on the creative version, but it's not that great a difference in sheer part cost.

As for your old school Muvo, how large was it (physically and capacity wise), and how much did you pay for it then? Something tells me unless you got it used, it wasn't like the cost of the shuffle now...

I bought my little brother (ok, so he's almost 14) a 512MB shuffle for his b-day (coming in April.) It's perfect for him, small, no screen to crack / break, if he loses it, it's not that big a deal, and can hold a reasonable amount of music.

Value is a question depending on your needs, and as evidenced by the amount of sales Apple's had thus far on the shuffle, I'd say that the rest of the world believes Creative is a little less so than their CEO would like to think
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:46 pm

mattcky666 got the Muvo Nx or something, thats 512/256Mb with a screen, better battery life for at least ?20 cheaper.

Apple are just using the iPod brand name to sell old technology at large profit
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:05 pm

I'm curious how useful a screen is on one of those little things. If its small enough it doesnt need a screen... all that adds is bulk. Load a playlist on it and you're set.

Also nearly everything with 512mb flash memory is more expensive than $99 (here in the US at least).

Yes, while old technology it's a cheap flash player with no extra gmmicky 'features' and good capacity.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:22 pm

As much as I like Apple and iPods, the shuffle was a pretty stupid move.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:06 pm

i find the screen to be quite usefull, i have 5 to 6 albums on my player at all times, and i only listen them per album, not mixec, so i use the built in menu for adjusting whatever i want to hear

my old muvo just allowed me to skip trough the songs one by one, and thats fine for a 128 mb player with 20 songs, but with 80 songs that gets anoying
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:05 pm

Have you ever tried using one of the newer flash players that has a screen? It's an absolute nightmare! It takes an absolute age to find any particular song you want, and it seems pointless to - if you're on the move, why do you care about a particular song playing?

As far as I can see, the iPod Shuffle is no worse than the competition but has the following things going for it:

1. It interfaces with iTunes, which is very slowly growing on me, and has been a major selling point for a lot of people with the bigger ones. Being able to just click a button and have it fill your iPod Shuffle with random songs from your library sounds like a lot less hassle than using Windows Explorer.

2. It has a built in Lithium-Ion battery that lasts for twelve hours and can be charged via USB. Much better than those crappy little AAAs that don't last nearly as long.

3. It supposedly has high quality sound than even its ?300 bigger brothers, and is pretty damn loud as well. I've listened to a few iPods and a few of the non-Apple flash players, and the difference is phenomenal.

4. It comes from a well-known and respected company, seems fairly well-built, and looks pretty decent - even Creative's offerings look a little shite, to be honest.

5. It's competitively priced. Most high street shops sell different players with the same capacity for at least the same price, often more. And as flash players are cheaper anyway, you're only going to be able to save a few pounds at the most.

I almost bought one when I thought I'd have no trouble filling 512MB. But even with quite a few of 320kbps MP3s, I can't even break the 400MB mark :|.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:21 pm

All iPod products are crap. What else is new?
Very sexy hero, omg
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:39 pm

Dr. Freeze: I'm pretty sure you can switch by playlist, so you could have the different albums on there if you wanted too.

At first, I agreed with everyone who hates it. My first response was "no screen? this is freaking 2005!"

When I thought more and more about it, though, I realized it really is a genius marketing idea. Here is a very well respected company, like az said, marketing a type of product that the mainstream has avoided, mostly because apple didn't put something out. Flash drives are nothing new, but I love their marketing technique. Shuffle is such an old technological achievement, but they're making tons off it.

Heres why I'm getting one, though:

Uses AAC. - Say what you want, 128 aac sounds pretty good. Tied with .ogg on awesomeness
I use iTunes. - It works pretty well, and it organizes my music how i like it.
Small. - I can just leave this in my pocket and forget about it.
Autofill. - This feature is again, simple, but very cool. I have a ton of music on my comp, and still plan to get an archos for jukeboxing, but theres still stuff on my computer I really haven't heard yet. With this, it mixes things up and gives me something new to listen to, without any effort. I can just load it up every morning and have it fill random tunes.
Price. - It's cheaper than most of the other players, and personally, muvo's features are sorta pointless on a flash player. Line in/microphone is cool on a jukebox, but not on a flash. Also, I broke the screen on my last mp3 player (I was pissed...) so it's probably best I don't have one of those either.

Anyway, its oversimplified, and thats why I like it. Flash players needn't be anything other than what the shuffle has.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:16 am

AZ, tell me, how does itunes make filling your mp3 plyaer easier then using windows exp? all i have to do if go the the directory i have my music, sorted by albums, click on the right album folder with my right mouse button, select "copy" go to my flashdrive in the right column, right click, and select "paste"

as for the lithium battery, most new flash players have that too, sure the el cheapo crappy dumb stuff doesnt have it (256 mb for 40 bucks, who are you kidding eh?) but most new creative players have it (the old muvo line doesnt, but those arent high echelon players anyway) my Muvo^2 X-trainer has it, oh and what a koinkidink, it charges by usb also if i want (it charges faster by AC adapter, since a usb port can only source 500 mA)

Sound quality i cant really comment on, this is also dependant on the headphones, and i never really used an apple player for an extended amount of time, so i cant really compare

Creative is also a well known and respected company, and as for their products looking poop, i prefer them over the whole i-pod look (well some of them, i wont be cought dead with one of those zen-micro devices), personally i like the whole muvo^2 line

and as for competetive pricing, my 512 meg muvo^2 cost me 99 euros, same price a 512 mb ipod shuffle costs over here, and mine has a display, equalizer settings etc.

so personally if i had to choose now, for the same price between my muvo and a ipod shuffle, id get the muvo again
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:30 am

DrFreeze wrote: Sound quality i cant really comment on, this is also dependant on the headphones, and i never really used an apple player for an extended amount of time, so i cant really compare
That's true - but those white in-ear ones that come with the iPod are really nice quality.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:37 am

yeah, that was the only hitch in the muvo^2 program, the headphones it came with are useless, i still havent figured out how the hell you are supposed to use them

the headphones that came with the old muvo on the other hand are very good, so i used those
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:53 am

AZ, tell me, how does itunes make filling your mp3 plyaer easier then using windows exp? all i have to do if go the the directory i have my music, sorted by albums, click on the right album folder with my right mouse button, select "copy" go to my flashdrive in the right column, right click, and select "paste"
Well, you can add completely random songs, or you can add songs by genre, by artist, or by any other search parameter you can use in iTunes, and you can't do that with a file manager easily. You could keep a few decent playlists and copy those over in one go, which you really can't do easily with a plain file manager, unless you want to duplicate chunks of your MP3 collection. You could take your favourite, or most played songs. You could take songs that you haven't listened to yet. All sorts of other things - basically, anything that iTunes lets you do.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:27 am

hmm, i see how that could be easy for some people, but i dont think id use any of those features anyway, as i said i like to keep my albums complete, and i listen to one album at a time
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:58 am

DrFreeze wrote:i dont think id use any of those features anyway, as i said i like to keep my albums complete, and i listen to one album at a time
Then the iPod Shuffle clearly isn't for you.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:59 am

Sanchez wrote:Considering the fact that the closest Creative competitor is $30-$50 more expensive, how exactly is the iPod Shuffle too expensive?

Admittedly there are more features on the creative version, but it's not that great a difference in sheer part cost.

As for your old school Muvo, how large was it (physically and capacity wise), and how much did you pay for it then? Something tells me unless you got it used, it wasn't like the cost of the shuffle now...

I bought my little brother (ok, so he's almost 14) a 512MB shuffle for his b-day (coming in April.) It's perfect for him, small, no screen to crack / break, if he loses it, it's not that big a deal, and can hold a reasonable amount of music.

Value is a question depending on your needs, and as evidenced by the amount of sales Apple's had thus far on the shuffle, I'd say that the rest of the world believes Creative is a little less so than their CEO would like to think
4 years ago I got a Achos 6 gig Mp3 player and I paid 140ish for it. Sorry but the Shuffle is overpriced. When ever you buy a product by a well known name brand it is going to be WAY over priced.
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:12 am

Orange_Ribbon wrote:
Sanchez wrote:Considering the fact that the closest Creative competitor is $30-$50 more expensive, how exactly is the iPod Shuffle too expensive?

4 years ago I got a Achos 6 gig Mp3 player and I paid 140ish for it. Sorry but the Shuffle is overpriced. When ever you buy a product by a well known name brand it is going to be WAY over priced.
And how big was that thing? What was the battery life? What did it weigh? Did it interface as seamlessly as an iPod (read: Could your mother / grandmother use it?) Not to mention by your logic, any of the creative items are overpriced because they're not 6 gig...

I will relent to Dr Freeze about the pricing in Europe, I forgot that Apple screws everyone outside the US.

My main comment is that it's not overpriced for what it is, a simple usable larger capacity flash interfaced music player. Considering the capacity / cost of some USB Memory sticks by themselves (that can't play music), it's not all that bad.
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:34 am

Sanchez wrote:I will relent to Dr Freeze about the pricing in Europe, I forgot that Apple screws everyone outside the US.
I've heard a lot of people complaining about that, but I don't think its true. For example, the 512MB version of the iPod Shuffle costs $99US in America and ?69GBP over here. That is pretty much exactly the exchange rate of a few years ago.

Now, of course, the exchange rate is a lot different, because the dollar isn't very strong at the moment. Why should Apple lower their prices in every other market just because the US dollar is performing poorly?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!