Has Gamecube become Dreamcast 2?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Has Gamecube become the successor to the Dreamcast?

Yes, and I own one.
32%
No, but I do own one.
35%
No, you're mental.
32%

Total votes: 34
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by The Kron »

The Xbox couldn't be further apart at this point than what the DC stood for and offers in terms of games, The Gamecube is the true spiritual successor.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

The Kron wrote:The Xbox couldn't be further apart at this point than what the DC stood for and offers in terms of games, The Gamecube is the true spiritual successor.
That's about how I feel on this. I think the GC gets games with playability and style, games with new and exciting concepts... not just games for commercial value.

I think Kron has hit on what I really meant. Sega is producing games for all consoles, so that's maybe not such a big deal, but their most innovative titles are still kept for the `cube.

So if I want to play quality, well designed games I look now to the Gamecube. Sadly, just like the DC this makes it the least commercially successful of the big 3.
Which means the ride is great while it lasts but it might not last long.

At least Nintendo isn't getting out of the market yet...
segasweet
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by segasweet »

I said "No, you're mental", because when I look at the GameCube what I see is a system which does have a lot of quality games, and there is innovation, but at the same time most of these games don't seem to have any real distinct flair to them. I guess I'm missing the "Sega flair", if I may call it that. lol...
Also, I think the Xbox is more similar to the Dreamcast. One of the most important similarities is the presence of actual online gaming. This is one of the biggest implementations that made it on the Dreamcast, and just seeing someone picking up the online factor of things really makes me think that the Xbox is more of a successor to the Dreamcast than any other system.
This brings me to an interesting question....what if the Xbox wasn't doing so much with online gaming right now? Would anyone actually be doing anything with it??

Also, I can't remember who said it earlier in this thread, but I totally agree that there is absolutely no replacement for the Dreamcast, and certainly no successor......until the REAL Dreamcast 2 comes out that is...... :D
:dc: Sega is sweet! :dc:

:mg2: Sony sucks! :mg:
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Gamecube sucks.
Very sexy hero, omg
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

scherzo wrote:
King Jeeba wrote:Yea, we all loved the Dreamcast. We all made it our own as the mainstream public ignored it, but it's dead; and the hype is hardly building better nostalgia.
Hmmm... MY Dreamcast wasn't dead the last time I checked.
Same. :?
Dr Wily wrote:and the controllers are almost identical except they replaced the VMU port with a huge frigging X in case you forgot what console you are playing on*.
:guffaw:

When I think of a spiritual successor of the DC, I generally fall to my knees and pray for a DC2 because I feel that neither the X-box nor GC really has the magic going on, but if I was forced to pick one, I'd go with the X-box.

The GameCube just seems so... young. It's targetted audience is young'ins. I don't know about you guys, but where I live when the DC came out it was a "Big kids console". Lots like X-box is now.

I just see the GameCube with some nice Sonic Team ports, but none of the same "flair" or spunk the DC had.

The X-box is closer. It's a more "badass" console like the DC. The controllers are similar, it's powerful, and the emulation/modding possibilities are more like DC.

But are either of them like a DC2--HELL NO! What kind of a console has a memory card with a screen that you can play games on? What kind of a console has a game called "Seamen" that you speak through a microphone on? What kind of a console has a crazy Maracca shaking game with maracca peripherals so that you can get your Mexican on? NONE. Nothing comes close to the complete uniquety that is the Dreamcast. Anybody who says that it doesn't have a big or diverse enough library needs to be castrated.

The Dreamcast is a gem of diverse and uniquely flavored games. Most of them aren't bland. The DC is what Nintendo boasts that they try to achieve (but don't deliver).
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

The GameCube just seems so... young. It's targetted audience is young'ins. I don't know about you guys, but where I live when the DC came out it was a "Big kids console". Lots like Xbox is now.
I officially hate you now.

Have you ever PLAYED a freakin cube? :x

omg t3h game pube is so childish!!!!! FFS man, I just got decapitated on RE4. So childish... :roll:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Skynet wrote:
The GameCube just seems so... young. It's targetted audience is young'ins. I don't know about you guys, but where I live when the DC came out it was a "Big kids console". Lots like Xbox is now.
I officially hate you now.

Have you ever PLAYED a freakin cube? :x

omg t3h game pube is so childish!!!!! FFS man, I just got decapitated on RE4. So childish... :roll:
OMG SOMEONE HAS AN OPINION DIFFERENT THAN MINE ARGH!!!!!!
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

stfu.

You can't claim something is childish because there are a few games that appeal to younger audience. GASP! So do they other consoles! So how GC can be singled out is beyond me!

Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Skynet wrote:stfu.

You can't claim something is childish because there are a few games that appeal to younger audience. GASP! So do they other consoles! So how GC can be singled out is beyond me!
ARG PEOPLE THINK DIFFERENTLY THAN ME!!!!
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

ACK YOU'RE BEING A richardHEAD!
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

This is OT, but I have been trying to remember some of the animes that showed on Sci Fi Channel back in the days, and TekkaMan was one of them, and probably my favorite out of the ones I can remember. I must buy the DVD's. That's awesome, I have been trying to remember that one in particular for years.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

You're right, that is OT :lol:

Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Got a GC and love it - Childish? Zelda WW & Mario Kart are probably the best games I've ever played :P
Wait, aren't 'games' like 'made for kids' anyway? Comics, cartoons and pop music too? Chocolate? Coca Cola? I'm gonna stop breathing - too childish :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Awww... c'mon. I'm talking about the 'cube. It's purple and it's small. Not really talking about the games.

Do you know how damn bad I want one for RE4? Do you know what it feels like when everybody has Smash Bros Melee but me?

The Qbe is t3h PURPLE!!!11one

I meant physical appearance because generally, the Nintendo franchises (not Mario) still kick ass.

I love you Skynet. :kiss)
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

GyroVorbis wrote:
What kind of a console has a crazy Maracca shaking game with maracca peripherals so that you can get your Mexican on? NONE.

:lolsmash:
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Hobbes T Tiger wrote: I think Kron has hit on what I really meant. Sega is producing games for all consoles, so that's maybe not such a big deal, but their most innovative titles are still kept for the `cube.
I disagree. Outside of the Dreamcast, the Xbox has had the best Sega developed titles this gen imo apart from F-Zero & Super Monkey Ball (which is coming to the Xbox & PS2) on the Gamecube & Virtua Fighter 4 on the PS2. Whether putting them exclusively on the Xbox was a good decision or not is another matter which is irrelevant to this discussion.

Xbox:
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
GUNVALKYRIE
Sega GT 2002
Crazy Taxi 3
ToeJam & Earl III
House of the Dead 3
Outrun 2

Gamecube:
Amazing Island
Billy Hatcher
F-Zero GX
Super Monkeyball 1 & 2
Beach Spikers
Phantasy Star Online v3
Virtua Striker 3

PS2:
Virtua Fighter 4
Shinobi
Blood Will Tell
Sega Ages series
Sega Superstars

Multi:
Sonic Heroes (Xbox, Gamecube, PS2)
Virtua Quest (PS2 & Gamecube)
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (PS2 & Xbox)
Chaos Field (Dreamcast, PS2 & Gamecube)
Puyo Pop Fever (Dreamcast, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube)
Sonic Mega Collection (Gamecube, Plus collection for PS2 & Xbox)

I know I've missed out some Japanese stuff for the PS2 but the rest are just ports of Dreamcast titles like Shenmue II, Rez, Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 etc.
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

GyroVorbis wrote:The Qbe is t3h PURPLE!!!11one

I meant physical appearance because generally, the Nintendo franchises (not Mario) still kick ass.
Get the black one then. Or maybe import the orange :lol:

Physycal Appearance? While you play games, do you look at the console or at the TV?
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

More like GAYCUBE
Very sexy hero, omg
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I've come up with some pretty cool concepts for my thoughts of Dreamcast 2... I Think I should make Schematics :mrgreen:
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

CoasterKing wrote:
Hobbes T Tiger wrote: I think Kron has hit on what I really meant. Sega is producing games for all consoles, so that's maybe not such a big deal, but their most innovative titles are still kept for the `cube.
I disagree. Outside of the Dreamcast, the Xbox has had the best Sega developed titles this gen imo apart from F-Zero & Super Monkey Ball (which is coming to the Xbox & PS2) on the Gamecube & Virtua Fighter 4 on the PS2. Whether putting them exclusively on the Xbox was a good decision or not is another matter which is irrelevant to this discussion.
Good points, well made. I would love to have Outrun 2 and Sega Ages. So to have the best of Sega I'd really need to own all 3 consoles. Not much chance of that happening, 2 is plenty much for me financially and time wise (GC, DC).
I think for me some Sega and all of Nintendo is the best option. A DC and a cube is a good setup and I'm only really missing out on 2 titles.