Apps for the so-called "dead" Pentium 3.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Apps for the so-called "dead" Pentium 3.

Post by sixteen-bit »

After much grueling research, new applications for Intel's legacy CPU, the PIII (slotted type) have been discovered. This is great news for anyone with an old intel CPU they want to revive for use

Keyring

bookmark

Incase you're wondering why I am doing that to a CPU.. the clue is in the title ;-)
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

i still dont know why its considered dead. i can still do everything on my p3 that i have to do. so to me its not dead. just wish it was faster, but it still gets the job done.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I don't really know why people consider the P3 (and the higher end P2s) dead. They're the same people who say the DC is dead, yet it does what I want it to.

The only reason I mentioned the "dead" P3 is that mine literally is dead. It came with a sub-standard heatsink and the CPU eventually overheated and died.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

oh man. My laptop came with a P3 900 megaherz processor!!!

Does this mean I'm living in the past!!! Timewarp!! (())))*(((())))))*((((((((((())))))))))))

Seriously though, my processor get everything done pretty damn fast, so whats the deal?
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

16-bit Miles wrote:I don't really know why people consider the P3 (and the higher end P2s) dead. They're the same people who say the DC is dead, yet it does what I want it to.

The only reason I mentioned the "dead" P3 is that mine literally is dead. It came with a sub-standard heatsink and the CPU eventually overheated and died.
Was it still under warranty? That has to suck.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

16-bit Miles wrote: I don't really know why people consider the P3 (and the higher end P2s) dead. They're the same people who say the DC is dead, yet it does what I want it to.
Because the P4 is out now and way more advertised...
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Hey don't think I am saying P3 sucks.
That CPU featured is of the "Slot 1" variety and they were the first gen P3 which ranged from 450-600 MHZ as far as I know. The others from about 700 onwards came as a PPGA chip I think.
Seifer_Almasy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Seifer_Almasy »

That depens on what do you want to do with your PC, to surf the web, hear some music, write a document and run some EMU's, the P3 are great.

I know people out there running dual P4's with 2GB RAM that will claim that they want more speed. Why? because they run high end 3D software and you'll never get enough of processor speed when rendering something big.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

lol I still have a 486 computer (not this one) but another one I use for older games :)
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

My comp is a 750Mhz Athlon... and its just over a year old. Sometimes it seems slow as hell... (rendering some 3d things, compiling super complex Quake maps, when running WAY too much for 128MB of ram, etc) but if I dont overdo it its just fine.

Up till a little over a month ago... my parents had my old comp. It was an Pentium 166... underclocked to 133mhz because thats all the motherboard could handle. 32MB of ram. To think I had to use that comp for more than a year... Then they used it for another year.

They upgraded to a Compaq (yuck) with a 1.2 GHz Celeron and 512MB of ram... more power then they'll ever need. Expecially since they didnt have or know how to use a computer until I gave them their old one. They waste it away by playing card games and golf games from 3+ years ago.

I got a p90 with 24MB ram sitting next to my head... I'm in the process of building it up to be a personal MP3 server. (may switch to the 166 system now that its free) It was my good computer for several years before I got the 166 for $75.

Got a p75 and a 486 sitting in my closet... waiting for a use. Got an extra p75 and a 486 processor around here too...

Hehe... not to mention my p133 and p200 (w/MMX) IBM thinkpads.

Seriously thinking about using one of these old comps as an MP3/Media player in my Car... Just havent got up the guts to start the project yet. (got most of the parts)

And to think... back in 95 (when most of my comps were new) I didnt even own a computer.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

hey, this reminds me... did you know at one point intel actually sold pentium 1s as keychains... i think it was like $30 or something... it was just the cpu with an alluminum backing, but they were actual overstocked cpu's.... i think they were the first gen pentiums (66mHz i believe), and werent defective or anything, they just had nothing else they could use them for
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

No CPU should be considered dead.. unless it litterally is dead.
To say the P3s are dead, just because there is a P4 is foolish.
Many people still have a main PC slower then a P3 =p

I have an old 133Mhz Pentium which will soon get plenty of usage.
It'll be my 'debugging' PC. It will recieve kernel debug info, sent from my main PC via the serial port, whilst I work on kernel level stuff in BeOS such as drivers.. so even a 133Mhz PC has it's uses =p

I don't see myself using my 386, or 486's anytime soon tho. >_<
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Heh, it's quite ironic that I've just been given a Cyrix PR166 powered machine with 80Mb RAM and an S3 ViRGE graphics card. It certainly isn't dead, it works fine as an internet PC for other family members.

I also have a P120 8) :lol:

On the other hand, my P3 is dead-- it no longer works at all and causes PCs to fail the POST :(
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

i have a p1 133MHz w/16 megs of ram...i dont use it, but when i finally decide to move out (i have the money, but since i work in this town, if i move out of town, i have to get another job...grrr), im taking my p3 800 with me and ill leave the 133 for my family (all they use the computer for is the internet anyways)...
spag
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spag »

hrmm.... my computer (the one i'm typing this on) is an AMD K6-2 350. it does what i need it to do. i love it, and it's cheap. i can upgrade it for like 50 bucks and it will get a bit more edge. but, i would rather buy a working cd-burner.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

LOL, my fasted compu at the time is this one, a PIII 500!!! 8GB HD!!! i think its time for an upgrade!
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

Nice Job 16 Bit Miles!

You truly are taking hardware mod's to the next level ;)

You should write a tutorial...

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I'm stuck using my mom's hp. So pissed cus my computer's screwed, my warranty company, VAC, gave my a nice screwing by not paying anything for the warranty. Then my board from googlegear was doa, so i gotta wait for it to lear their rma dept and buy ANOTHER ONE. I'll buy again from google, shit gets out here fast, but get different board. When its done i'll have an amd 1800+ with 384 megs of ddr ram. And when its done, i can FINALLY import this big paper i wrote on my casio ultra personal organizer. Its all aboot how to use tmpg to make mpeg videos for gypplay, and how to use the features on it, plus how to frameserve and a bunch of stuff about how to use divx.

I've got a pentium 133 in the closet, 32 megs of ram, i'll either fix it for dad or put an ata 66 card in my machine and whore out its two hard drives for my computer, then dop in one of my extra pci grapics cards and have a dual monitor rig again. Wish they made a board with dual agp slots.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Hatecrime69
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hatecrime69 »

i have a compaq p100 that has linux (the same version as my main pc) that i would use (or at least try and learn how to get it to work as a router) but my dreamcast is useing it's montior :) i do have an extra one that a friend of my dad gave me but i have no room to put it where i would actually mess with the thing (in other words, in easy access to my main pc to test it as a router) in my walk-in-closet of a bedroom, and for some reason i installed linux on that old thing to start in xwin apon startup (witch i don't want) and it's defualted to 800*600 (witch the old, spare monitor doesn't work in) so i guess i will need to fix that eventually, if i ever find a way to get it so i could use my network cables i have to reach between both pc's :(
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

On the topic of whoring out old PC's hardware; an old machine I have has dual S3 ViRGE PCI graphics cards ( :o ) pumping out raw 800x600 goodness (hehehe :lol: ). Would it be possible to have a tri-monitor setup if I shoved these two cards in with an AGP card in my current machine?