iPod Shuffle!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:23 am
Location: Central New York
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

iPod Shuffle!

Post by spaghetti » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:57 pm

It is so cool, I preordered one for me and another for a friend! I can't wait, the price is just great and the style and the color and everything! It's so sleak and small, and the random music playback thing is so cool and innovative. Apple continues to impress me with all the hard work they put into releasing creative new products. I really can't wait so I can fill it up with my songs and let it play them back in a different order every time! It's great too that it works with just a single music store and a single music player because it makes things less confusing. I always said backlit LCDs with song information were a waste of space and battery power. That's just so cool, other companies would benefit from Apple's example.
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16219
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Contact:

Post by |darc| » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:09 pm

What an excellent idea to cover up the lack of screen and decent controls! Genius!
It's thinking...
megaman8x
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Location: Distant Future
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by megaman8x » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:28 pm

yeah but the expensive price....no
Image
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Posts: 5954
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:42 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Luriden » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:34 pm

User avatar
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:12 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Clessy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Anything apple has always been a over prices under featured pos imo. iPod being all the almighty king of the shi theep.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
megaman8x
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Location: Distant Future
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by megaman8x » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:01 pm

its still not worth the pricetag though
Image
User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Posts: 7390
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:37 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:27 am

My iPod has a backlit screen, you just have to enable it in the settings and / or push the menu button for a couple of seconds, and it shows the only song information I care about for each song (artist(s), trackname, album, time elapsed, time remaining). Also from my experience the clickwheel is very intuitive to use (much nicer than the standard buttons most stuff uses - I've always preferred an analogue 'dial' for volume than + and - buttons anyway)

As for the pricetag, it offers more space for a smaller size and pricetag than anything else currently on the market which is why I bought mine - do any of you have a genuine reason to hate it other than its really successful / popular and / or you can't afford your own? :dontknow:
Image
User avatar
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
Posts: 9889
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:42 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Roofus » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:40 am

I don't hate it. In fact, when I bought my MP3 player, I had it down to an ipod mini and a 40gig Nomad. They were the same price and the Nomad had 10x the storage. Plus it had a large, backlit screen that displayed the only somg information I csre about.
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:23 am
Location: Central New York
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by spaghetti » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:44 am

Nyar: I was criticizing the new iPod Shuffle, which is a $99 flash player that markets its "random playback" as a good thing instead of admitting that for the money you should at least get a simple LCD screen with track info. I mean it's great they're trying to make things cheaper, but making crappy things that are not as cheap as existing better-quality stuff...
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Posts: 4235
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:48 pm
Location: By my PC Hair:Bad
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:06 am

lol, flash based MP3 players. How new and innovative. Thing is this will sell, because its part of the whole iPod range. Whats wrong with one of these
User avatar
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
Posts: 2896
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:23 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:30 am

heh, a 512 meg ipod shuffle is 99 bucks, for the same price i got my Creative Muvo^2 X-trainer (the rare 512 mb flash version of the muvo^2), which has a screen, excellent controlls imho, and doesnt require Itunes or AAC format to work

also, it has a shuffle function, take that apple

personally, i dont see the point apple might have had the hdd player market with its good design and quality, most other hdd players had some flaws, but in the flash market, i dont think apple can beat the established brands like creative and Iriver, unless of course they once again throw a huge marketing and style campaign into it, claiming the ipod is way stylish and all (i still prefer the looks of my creative over that ugly shuffle ipod)

all i know, if i was in the market for either a flash or hdd player, id steer clear of apples Istuff, mainly because of the lacking format support, and the irreplaceble battery, also ipod seem a litle overpriced to me
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
bizzle
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by bizzle » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:36 am

mattthemodder wrote:lol, flash based MP3 players. How new and innovative. Thing is this will sell, because its part of the whole iPod range. Whats wrong with one of these
They aren't hip and trendy!~11!!!!`!1~!~!!!!```11`````1111ONEoneonetwo
User avatar
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Posts: 3520
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:47 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by SuperMegatron » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:12 am

Xylene wrote:
mattthemodder wrote:lol, flash based MP3 players. How new and innovative. Thing is this will sell, because its part of the whole iPod range. Whats wrong with one of these
They aren't hip and trendy!~11!!!!`!1~!~!!!!```11`````1111ONEoneonetwo
They dont work with the mac. They dont work with itunes.
User avatar
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Posts: 4977
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:52 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Post by pixel » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:15 am

DrFreeze wrote:AAC format to work
You're misinformed. You can play MP3s on an iPod :roll:

Obviously, if it doesn't fit your needs, no one else should get one.
Note: I agree. I would never want one.
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:37 pm
Location: New yawk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by mink03 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:06 am

wow at first i thought this was a joke thread, but then i saw it on apples site, wow thats just stupid as hel, but i guess 99 bucks for 512 isnt that bad....but where is the LCD display?! oh yeah it just shuffles...ill stick with my 40 gig ipod i got for 100 bucks
crabcakes
User avatar
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
Posts: 2896
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:23 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:21 am

well pixel, i didnt mean that noone should get one, if anyone feels the need to be all "hip and trendy" with their Ijunk or whatever, go ahead, i was merely stating that i dont want any part of it
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
megaman8x
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Location: Distant Future
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by megaman8x » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:19 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:My iPod has a backlit screen, you just have to enable it in the settings and / or push the menu button for a couple of seconds, and it shows the only song information I care about for each song (artist(s), trackname, album, time elapsed, time remaining). Also from my experience the clickwheel is very intuitive to use (much nicer than the standard buttons most stuff uses - I've always preferred an analogue 'dial' for volume than + and - buttons anyway)

As for the pricetag, it offers more space for a smaller size and pricetag than anything else currently on the market which is why I bought mine - do any of you have a genuine reason to hate it other than its really successful / popular and / or you can't afford your own? :dontknow:
I dont hate apple, i could easily afford a apple i just wouldnt pay 300-400 bucks when an cd player will do just fine, if you think cause of its size its worth that you must be retarded
User avatar
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
Posts: 9889
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:42 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Roofus » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:26 pm

DrFreeze wrote:heh, a 512 meg ipod shuffle is 99 bucks, for the same price i got my Creative Muvo^2 X-trainer (the rare 512 mb flash version of the muvo^2), which has a screen, excellent controlls imho, and doesnt require Itunes or AAC format to work

also, it has a shuffle function, take that apple

personally, i dont see the point apple might have had the hdd player market with its good design and quality, most other hdd players had some flaws, but in the flash market, i dont think apple can beat the established brands like creative and Iriver, unless of course they once again throw a huge marketing and style campaign into it, claiming the ipod is way stylish and all (i still prefer the looks of my creative over that ugly shuffle ipod)

all i know, if i was in the market for either a flash or hdd player, id steer clear of apples Istuff, mainly because of the lacking format support, and the irreplaceble battery, also ipod seem a litle overpriced to me

You're wrong. Apple invented random playback! You can listen to the same songs! In a different order!
User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Posts: 7390
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:37 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:39 pm

spaghetti wrote:Nyar: I was criticizing the new iPod Shuffle, which is a $99 flash player that markets its "random playback" as a good thing instead of admitting that for the money you should at least get a simple LCD screen with track info. I mean it's great they're trying to make things cheaper, but making crappy things that are not as cheap as existing better-quality stuff...
I see.... I live in the electronics third world, we don't hear about these things.
megaman8x wrote:
I dont hate apple, i could easily afford a apple i just wouldnt pay 300-400 bucks when an cd player will do just fine, if you think cause of its size its worth that you must be retarded
I guess I'm retarded for wanting music that doesn't:
1) skip while Im jogging
2) require me to open anything or fumble around for anything to change albums / songs / playlists quickly
3) fit in the pocket of normal trousers so I dont look like a tool going around in sk8r boi baggy jeans all year round just because theyre the only things that have cd sized pockets

:dontknow:
Image
megaman8x
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Location: Distant Future
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by megaman8x » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:51 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
spaghetti wrote:Nyar: I was criticizing the new iPod Shuffle, which is a $99 flash player that markets its "random playback" as a good thing instead of admitting that for the money you should at least get a simple LCD screen with track info. I mean it's great they're trying to make things cheaper, but making crappy things that are not as cheap as existing better-quality stuff...
I see.... I live in the electronics third world, we don't hear about these things.
megaman8x wrote:
I dont hate apple, i could easily afford a apple i just wouldnt pay 300-400 bucks when an cd player will do just fine, if you think cause of its size its worth that you must be retarded
I guess I'm retarded for wanting music that doesn't:
1) skip while Im jogging
2) require me to open anything or fumble around for anything to change albums / songs / playlists quickly
3) fit in the pocket of normal trousers so I dont look like a tool going around in sk8r boi baggy jeans all year round just because theyre the only things that have cd sized pockets

:dontknow:
1)they have cd players with skip resistance
2)seriously is it that hard to put a disk in place, you do it evertime you play a console, thats just being lazy
3)my cd player fits in most of my pants, you wont really have a problem with that unless you have one of the older cd players or wear tight or snug pants.

admit it ipods are overpriced just like there apple computer hardware.
Post Reply