Why?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Why?

Post by that_guy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:53 am

Why are there enough lifeboats to save everyone on a ship, but there aren't enough parachutes to save everyone on a plane? I have been on a plane eight times, and don't get me wrong, each time was an experience. However, with me watching movies and The Discovery Channel, it is starting to bug me that if something happens in the air, I could be screwed. Yet if a ship is sinking, there are enough lifeboats to save everyone on the ship. The only thing we get on a plane is a seat that can float, and an oxygen mask. And a floating seat doesn't do much good when you are 30,000 ft in the air and rapidly losing altitude. The reason I am questioning this is because I am leaving from Austin to Las Vegas early next month, and it is really bothering me. :?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:04 am

Damn, never thought of that before. But it's a good question! :o
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:19 am

Probably because the company figures since most passengers know nothing about jumping out in emergency situations, most of them would die in the fall, which would have even more problems. Anyone that lived would undoubtedly sue the living bejesus out of the industry. Plus, most passenger aircraft I've seen aren't set up to support jumping, and I think there's a big risk of going right into the turboprop / engine intake.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:24 am

A plane crashes a lot faster than a boat sinks.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:24 am

You're probably right

that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:31 am

So it is better to have everyone die in a plane crash except for maybe one or two who could put one on? They tell you at the beginning of a flight how to put on the oxygen mask, why can't they take another 10 minutes out of your flight and tell you how to put on and use a parachute? A manufacturer could design and produce special parachutes that are easy to put on. Also, I don't see why anyone would sue, seeing as how they are still alive. Yet you do make an interesting point fatheadpi.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:35 am

that_guy wrote:So it is better to have everyone die in a plane crash except for maybe one or two who could put one on? They tell you at the beginning of a flight how to put on the oxygen mask, why can't they take another 10 minutes out of your flight and tell you how to put on and use a parachute? A manufacturer could design and produce special parachutes that are easy to put on. Also, I don't see why anyone would sue, seeing as how they are still alive. Yet you do make an interesting point fatheadpi.
I'm not sure how it would work. They'd have to redisign the planes.

A ship has an entire deck to load people out of, a plane has what.. one? two doors? It's a bit unethical to make people fight for a chance of survival when something goes wrong.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:27 am

Two ideas:

1. Parachutes built into the back of the seat
B. Drop-out floors

Problem solved.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:36 am

I was thinking along the lines of break-away walls. Your idea is good too :lol:

But then again, that always brings up the idea that anyone could drop the floor out from under you! :o

I suppose that could be overcome by safety mechanisms that both pilots (or atleast airline chicks - forgot their names) have to open manually.

Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:44 am

to be honest, the whole giving people lifejackets and floating seats is entirely for reassuring passengers - there has never been a single survivor from a plane crash over water in the entire history of commercial flight.
coke
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by coke » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:26 am

melancholy wrote:Two ideas:

1. Parachutes built into the back of the seat
B. Drop-out floors

Problem solved.
Parachutes would have to be inspected before the plane deports the airport to ensure they're working and no defults. Also kids like to kick they're fit on the back of the site a lot to add: there are a lot of sick people who would fuck with the parachutes.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am

Wouldn't the pressurization of the cabin make it vurtually impossible to exit a plane while it's still in the air anyway? I saw something a few weeks ago explaining that the things we always see in movies are a bunch of bunk (like there's anything in movies that is accurate). You know, when you're watching a movie and someone opens the door on the plane and everything starts getting sucked out. I heard that the pressurization of the cabin actually has an opposite effect, pulling the doors in toward the plane, so it would take some ungodly amount of strength to actually be able to push the door out of the plane.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:52 am

curt_grymala wrote:Wouldn't the pressurization of the cabin make it vurtually impossible to exit a plane while it's still in the air anyway?.
yep :D
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:02 am

the pressure inside the plane is higher then outside, but i think the strong "wind" outside might force the doors in

and to have good parachute jumping ability, youd need to redesign planes with a drop flap in the tail much like a hercules, and have those WW2 parachute lines running across the sealing in order to open each parachute in time

would be cool, but a bit ineconomic
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Re: Why?

Post by mikelomax » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:48 am

that_guy wrote:Why are there enough lifeboats to save everyone on a ship, but there aren't enough parachutes to save everyone on a plane? I have been on a plane eight times, and don't get me wrong, each time was an experience. However, with me watching movies and The Discovery Channel, it is starting to bug me that if something happens in the air, I could be screwed. Yet if a ship is sinking, there are enough lifeboats to save everyone on the ship. The only thing we get on a plane is a seat that can float, and an oxygen mask. And a floating seat doesn't do much good when you are 30,000 ft in the air and rapidly losing altitude. The reason I am questioning this is because I am leaving from Austin to Las Vegas early next month, and it is really bothering me. :?
Very simple really, if something goes wrong with a plane it'll be all over very quickly. Ships tend not to have enough fuel to totally destroy themselves and even if they do, it's stored somewhere a little less "sticky outy" than on a plane. Second, even if parachutes were supplied, the speed and change in pressure upon leaving the plane would probably either kill you, knock you out, or destroy the parachute when it opens because you'd be travelling too fast.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:55 am

that_guy wrote:They tell you at the beginning of a flight how to put on the oxygen mask, why can't they take another 10 minutes out of your flight and tell you how to put on and use a parachute?

They'd still fall days or weeks short of the time needed to properly train a person on the BASICS of parachute drops. Basic as in 'what you'd need to survive a drop.'
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:20 pm

I think there's a big risk of going right into the turboprop / engine intake.
That'd be awesome to watch, be worth dying on a plane for :P
Wagh
Wagh

Re: Why?

Post by Wagh » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:53 pm

that_guy wrote:Why are there enough lifeboats to save everyone on a ship, but there aren't enough parachutes to save everyone on a plane? I have been on a plane eight times, and don't get me wrong, each time was an experience. However, with me watching movies and The Discovery Channel, it is starting to bug me that if something happens in the air, I could be screwed. Yet if a ship is sinking, there are enough lifeboats to save everyone on the ship. The only thing we get on a plane is a seat that can float, and an oxygen mask. And a floating seat doesn't do much good when you are 30,000 ft in the air and rapidly losing altitude. The reason I am questioning this is because I am leaving from Austin to Las Vegas early next month, and it is really bothering me. :?
planes don't crash as often as you'd think.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:43 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:to be honest, the whole giving people lifejackets and floating seats is entirely for reassuring passengers - there has never been a single survivor from a plane crash over water in the entire history of commercial flight.
thanks to you, if i ever go overseas i'm taking a boat.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:56 pm

1. Parachutes cost more then a lifejacket.
2. It's hard to jump out of a plane then a boat.