ea sucks they just killed segas espn football games

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ea sucks they just killed segas espn football games

Post by gamedudex2 »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/13 ... 14977.html

EA and NFL ink exclusive licensing deal
Five-year agreement gives EA sole rights to the NFL, including teams, players, and stadiums; deal sure to reshape sports gaming.

Electronic Arts has signed the biggest sports free-agent on the market. In a devastating blow to competitors, the software giant has signed an exclusive deal with the National Football League and the NFL Players Inc., a subsidiary of the NFL Players Association. The deal is an exclusive five-year licensing deal granting EA the sole rights to the NFL's teams, stadiums, and players.

The arrangement encompasses action simulation, arcade style, and manager games made for PCs, consoles, and handhelds, giving EA a firm hold on the football gaming market. The deal does not include titles for mobile phones or internet-based games, but does include online features of consoles. With next-generation consoles scheduled for release next holiday season, EA looks to handily dominate the professional football market for the duration of the license.

"We are excited about the opportunity to further enhance our relationship with the NFL and PLAYERS INC," said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of Electronic Arts. "The five-year agreements will usher NFL fans through the console technology transition with new ideas and innovative game play experiences."

EA's current roster of NFL games includes the top-selling Madden franchise and the extreme football NFL Street franchise.

The deal is obviously bad news for EA's competitors, particularly ESPN Videogames and Sega, who stole a respectable chunk of EA's Madden football market with their NFL 2K series and it's budget price tag this year of $19.99.

On trading nearly three times it usual amount, EA stock was up more than $3 today. The stock closed at $57.57, up $3.38 or 6.24 percent with 16,574,606 shares trading hands on the NASDAQ. In after hours trading, the stock at press time had jumped another $2.88 to trade at $60.45.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Already posted in CE.
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

I had posted this in CE about an hour and I guess it turned out to be hte wrong forum. Is there a way we can merge these topics into one? Link to other topic
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

im not sure who i would be more angry at. EA for buying it or the NFL for giving it to them.

So now EA own both nascar and nfl. the only 2 good sport's games i play. oh well, im happy with dirt to daytona and nfl 2k5.

plus now that there's a lot of pissed off people (or there will be when they relize that there is only the sh|t madden games), the NFL is probably going to wish they didnt do this.

it wasnt a big deal when nascar gave ea exclusive rights b/c there was only like 1 other company making nascar games. but this is probably 4/5 other companies that are no longer making games and no longer have to give the nfl royalties. (i can think of espn 2k series, blitz, MS's nfl games if they had them anymore, 989 studios nfl game, and i think there's one more)
Last edited by MKE on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

cripes. I am first in line for a 5 year boycott of Madden and NFL Street! (Not that I ever wasted my money on them).

Looks like I'll go pick up 2k5. It's the last football game I'll be playing for awhile.

Crap. I can see this exclusivity causing NFL games to stagnate.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

If I were Sega I'd say screw it and make an ESPN Football 2k6 with the CFL, or even better a parody of the NFL teams.

Though I doubt they will, as the games won't sell without the NFL likenesses.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Even though I like EA's football and this is business, it's stupid business. Lame, EA. Lame.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

I still dont understand why they dont snag the CFL and the AFL.
Thats plenty of big enough roaster.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

in defense of EA, according to gamespot, this was the NFL's decision, not EA's. NFL wanted to go exclusive, and EA won the bid.
rbenchley
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by rbenchley »

in defense of EA, according to gamespot, this was the NFL's decision, not EA's. NFL wanted to go exclusive, and EA won the bid.
Although that is true, EA is still an awful company and I am looking into organizing a boycott of their products. EA's refusal to release their sports games for the Dreamcast is probably the single, biggest reason that the Dreamcast failed.
Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
-George Carlin
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I personally wouldn't care about the actual players and stadium in a football game. Usually they give you the option to make your own team anyways, just make up your own? Guess for true sports fans that don't cut it though?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

If anyone remembers, the first Madden game wasn't actually licensed. It just had the teams' cities, like San Francisco instead of the 49ers, etc. And numbers instead of the players' names, Joe Montana was just #16. Nobody thought it was the end of the world.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

its the end of the world. sega has the rights to espn and sunday night football, but no league to use it with. i call foul on the nfl and ea.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

mariobro wrote:If anyone remembers, the first Madden game wasn't actually licensed. It just had the teams' cities, like San Francisco instead of the 49ers, etc. And numbers instead of the players' names, Joe Montana was just #16. Nobody thought it was the end of the world.
That worked in the days when all the player sprites looked the same, but in today's world of realistic player models, NFL is bound to cry foul if Sega were to put in the NFL players with numbers instead of names.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

its business people, you want market share at any cost. If EA lose money on the deal I don't think they will care cos they will have market share which is what it is all bout in big business where money is nothing.
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

Sorrie wrote:I still dont understand why they dont snag the CFL and the AFL.
Thats plenty of big enough roaster.
I think they should just use all the team colors and change the names of the teams a little like the steelers could be changed to pitt and just use the players numbers. And add a edit player so you could name all the player on your team.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

crazyrom wrote: I think they should just use all the team colors and change the names of the teams a little like the steelers could be changed to pitt and just use the players numbers. And add a edit player so you could name all the player on your team.
i agree. i wouldnt mind this. VC could put a name and team name editor as well as a logo/color editor. basically like a photoshop, but in a game. just like EA does with NCAA football, since by rule, you cant use college players names in the game. so you'll be building your own football league. not from scratch of course.

somehow i think this will be the move for VC to make. i cant imagine a year without a 2k football game.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

MetaFox wrote:
mariobro wrote:If anyone remembers, the first Madden game wasn't actually licensed. It just had the teams' cities, like San Francisco instead of the 49ers, etc. And numbers instead of the players' names, Joe Montana was just #16. Nobody thought it was the end of the world.
That worked in the days when all the player sprites looked the same, but in today's world of realistic player models, NFL is bound to cry foul if Sega were to put in the NFL players with numbers instead of names.
unlicensed sports cards do exactly that
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Time for that new BloodBowl game from Warthog to surface?

Oh damn, they just got bought out by Gizmondo..;P

I would actually play that...
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today