College may be a lost cause for me...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

College may be a lost cause for me...

Post by SuperMegatron »

I been going to school for a degree in history and Psychology and human services at the ba level the school was able to find me a practicum but my teacher thinks when I go for my masters my criminal background will screw me up. This sucks, I talked with a few schools and they all tell me its going to be hard to find one for me because virginia records the original charge the court out come and the punishment in their records. I was charged with over 20 felonies, but I only got convicted for a few misdemeanors. My teacher and I got a print out of my rap sheet and it looks like a book its like 10 page long. I am totally screwed. My teacher is talking with some people he knows trying to help me out he said he is going to try to write a letter to any Grad school I go to explaining that the charges are nearly 10 years old and shouldn't still be held against me.
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

Not to be a prick but it sounds like you were a terror at some point in your early years and you'll probably pay for it for a long time. Sorry but your past does follow you.....
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Clarkbar wrote:Not to be a prick but it sounds like you were a terror at some point in your early years and you'll probably pay for it for a long time. Sorry but your past does follow you.....
Yeah I was wild in my youth I did a lot of stupid things. I want to be a counselor though so I can help people not make the same mistakes I did. Hopefully I can do it if they block me here I may transfer to alaska to finish my education they are lax up there on stuff like this.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I want to be a counselor though so I can help people not make the same mistakes I did.
If thats your attitude, and they know it. They can't really say no can they
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

[quote][quote]I want to be a counselor though so I can help people not make the same mistakes I did.[/quote]
If thats your attitude, and they know it. They can't really say no can they[/quote]

yea, you have experience on what the people you may counsel feel so you can connect to them more. If you have the right attitude then explain to them that you've grown out of it
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

Clarkbar wrote:Not to be a prick but it sounds like you were a terror at some point in your early years and you'll probably pay for it for a long time. Sorry but your past does follow you.....
This is what I don't get... Why does it follow you? It doesn't dictate you character or who you are as a person now, all it does is show that you did some things some time ago. Why the hell would you care about that?

The same goes with people measuring ability with grades, grades don't show ability, they show knowledge and knowing things doesn't help do a job (well ok it can, but if you have the ability you should be able to find the knowledge just as easily).

It's a stupid system, no doubt one day someone will have to do something about it - but it'll be 20 years to late by then.

(sorry if this sounds personal, but it's the main reason I'm working as a bar person rather than a professional programmer at the moment.)
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The same goes with people measuring ability with grades, grades don't show ability, they show knowledge and knowing things doesn't help do a job (well ok it can, but if you have the ability you should be able to find the knowledge just as easily).
Well, grades show you had knowledge of the subject at the time you completed the class. I guess that's the idea. I know where you're coming from.
Yeah I was wild in my youth I did a lot of stupid things. I want to be a counselor though so I can help people not make the same mistakes I did. Hopefully I can do it if they block me here I may transfer to alaska to finish my education they are lax up there on stuff like this.
I hope you can do alright with it. I think the way records follow you is stupid. Do they WANT people to go back to a life of crime, or is that just the way things happen?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Watch clock work orange.Nuff said.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Do they WANT people to go back to a life of crime
I think as opposed to wanting people to go back to a life of crime there may be a tinge of the idea that a person can't leave a life of crime.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Do you really need a masters? (or is your edu system different) cos here it goes:
Bach
Honours
Masters
Ph.D (sanutation of Dr.)
Docorette (Sanutation of Prof.)

So honours could be enough unless you plan to do a Ph.D, and anyway they usually look at grades and experience, when you apply for masters just make sure you let them know you have changed and show them how
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

hold on you're 27, still at home with your parents... and you're going to do a new course... planning to you know get a job anytime... maybe move out? you'll be what 31 after this? :roll:
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Prophet][ wrote:Do you really need a masters? (or is your edu system different) cos here it goes:
Bach
Honours
Masters
Ph.D (sanutation of Dr.)
Docorette (Sanutation of Prof.)

So honours could be enough unless you plan to do a Ph.D, and anyway they usually look at grades and experience, when you apply for masters just make sure you let them know you have changed and show them how
We typically only have Bachelors, Masters, and Ph.D. The only honors type degrees you can usually get are through special bachelors programs or with extremely high gpas. A bachelors degree typically takes 4-5 years, a masters 2-3, and a Ph.D around 4 depending on the field of study.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I don't regret never finishing College, at least in the field I was in (Computer Networking/Repair). My friend got his 2 year degree and he makes less money then I do. In fact I worked at the same place he worked at making the same wages without a degree.

It all depends where your from, but around here College don't really help much unless you want a job in the medical field.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Do they WANT people to go back to a life of crime
I think as opposed to wanting people to go back to a life of crime there may be a tinge of the idea that a person can't leave a life of crime.
Yeah, then when people get desperate or whatever and do go back to it, they point and go "Look! We were right!". It's called a vicious cycle.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

sounds like les miserables, without the life changing bishop, and obsessive inspector.

i hope this doesn't screw you. just think to, even if it does, you'll still have a degree.

i don't mean to sound uncaring, i'm just trying to think positively.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Ha and I thought my record was bad. Can I ask what you got convicted of, because doing htat much crime witout the time is insane :o As for college, forget it, become a motivational speaker if you have that kind of record.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Oh yes. The sky is the limit, unless you have TWENTY felonies, are 27, live at home, don't pay a dime for anything, and get a $100 weekly allowance.

You are going places. Keep your head up.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Oh yes. The sky is the limit, unless you have TWENTY felonies, are 27, live at home, don't pay a dime for anything, and get a $100 weekly allowance.

Not to mention the tremendous student loan debt he will have to pay after using his loan money to pay for his 50in TV.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

melancholy wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:Oh yes. The sky is the limit, unless you have TWENTY felonies, are 27, live at home, don't pay a dime for anything, and get a $100 weekly allowance.

Not to mention the tremendous student loan debt he will have to pay after using his loan money to pay for his 50in TV.
People who go into debt are huge idiots...people who go into debt just to up their standard of living a little bit, should be shot on sight.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Damn, a little harsh, huh?

Maybe you should go into the stock market. Become your own realtor. You can take the exam in NY if your 18 or older, I dunno about high school completion or not. But hey, you can do your own trading and not worry about getting fired. Just takes some patience to learn.

What did you do? Medical does require(or at least wants) a clean record, or something close, so that the hospital cant be sued for malpractice. Who the hell gave that criminal a license?!? They will ask that and youll be assed out. Good luck with that.