GC modchip released to public + bios can boot dvd-r!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MKE »

with most modchip's that are coming out, they dont come flashed with any bios that will circumvent any copy/anti piracy measures, to keep them completely legal...

but getting the bios is easy enough anyway.

and as you can see by the pic's, you flash them with the parallel port.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

i mean they are 2 dif drives right?
Nope. The Gamecube's drive is actually a DVD drive. However, it's not (normally) compatible with regular DVDs, and regular DVD drives can't read Gamecube discs.

The Gamecube discs, like Xbox DVDs, are written from the outside in (normal DVDs are written from the inside out). They also use the "barcode" layer, and encryption. The barcode (which is part of the DVD spec) isn't actually a barcode, but it's an additional part of the disc which can hold a decryption key. The data on the disc in encrypted, so can not be read unless you know the decryption key. The Gamecube's drive can read the barcode, does so, and uses the key to decrypt the data, so the Gamecube doesn't even know that the disc was encrypted. A normal PC DVD drive can not read these barcodes, and a normal PC DVD writer can not write these barcodes. A Gamecube DVD drive will not read a DVD unless the barcode is present.

Very simple, very effective. That's the same way that the original DivX discs (not the MPEG-4 video codec - the DVD format) worked, and they have never been successfully decrypted.

Now, because all the decryption is done in the Gamecube's DVD reader, it should be impossible to get the drive to read a normal DVD, even if you have complete control over the Gamecube. The PS1 CD reader works the same way - it will refuse to even read a disc if it doesn't contain some data which can not be written by a CD-R drive. The PS2 DVD reader works the same way. Both PS1 and PS2 modchips work by modifying the data coming from the DVD reader, so the signal appears to be present, even if it's not.

On the Gamecube, it's not so simple. If you trick the drive into thinking that the barcode is present, it will still try to decrypt an unencrypted disc, and fail. If you try adding a known barcode into the data stream, there will be no way to tell a DVD from a Gamecube disc, and Gamecube discs will stop working. If you try to bypass the decryption, Gamecube discs will stop working.

I really doubt that this thing can actually read DVDs.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i get what your sayin, and i kinda doubt it too, but... with what ive read, basically what it does is (and this is kinda rough, im tired and dont feel like finding it and quoting it, maybe later) takes the data the dvd drive is reading before it's decrypted, and then send's it to the pin of the chip where teh decrypted data would normally go, so it's basically skipping the not needed decryption process...and that's how you can still boot normal gc games, you hold a button to enable the bypass, and hold another one to disable the decryption bypass....

at least that's the way i remember reading it....
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

From what I'm readin from the NFO file, I wish they would have made it so pressing nothing would boot normally instead of holding x. X should be for DVD-R mode and Y shoul be region free. Either that or it should always boot region free. Anyway I hope that this project is true and I hope that the price of the chip comes down. $69.99 seems quiet expensive.....
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The chip certainly does exist. There have been several people working on similar devices. Basically, they inject custom code into the Gamecube when the 'cube boots up (normally, it reads it's BIOS from ROM, and decompresses / decrypts it to RAM), allowing you to run whatever you like one there. That has been done before.

However, what it doesn't let you do is modify the way the DVD drive works. The drive is not under any kind of software control. That's why I doubt that this thing would actually work.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Lyris wrote: The reason is because this lets me play imported games. For a large group of people, this is the case - not all mod chipping is due to piracy.

But can't you do a region mod with just a switch and some wire?

On second hand I think that was only for two regions, though.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

someoneElse wrote:
Lyris wrote: The reason is because this lets me play imported games. For a large group of people, this is the case - not all mod chipping is due to piracy.

But can't you do a region mod with just a switch and some wire?

On second hand I think that was only for two regions, though.
That switch only dealt with US/Jap regions.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i know youve all seen the videos before, but here's the one that shows the process for this bios/modchip combination.

http://www.ps2ownz.com/forums/attachmen ... entid=3587
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Lame, can't view it for 5 days.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Xylene wrote:Lame, can't view it for 5 days.
if anyone can host the rar file, or want's it i can email it to you...
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I can host it having a 100mbit server for free has its advantages ya know?
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

DYTDMFBSB?
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

Hot damn it works! I'll seriously consider picking one of these up when the price drops. Like I said earlier, $69.99 is too high of a price just to play some homebrew or emus.
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

If this allowed the gamecube to play all imports without the problems with freeloader it could be very tempting, not interested in it booting back-ups though.

I have a PAL Gamecube btw, so there is no region switch for it :(
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Congratulations to Nintendo for proving that you can protect a game console very well. This is just the first hardware hack and it means it even take some time before it becomes easy for the "mass" to bother with it. Now you need to make a difficult modifications and open up the GC to let it read normal sized DVD-r. Because it doesn't read most brands mini DVD-r. When it becomes easier to hack the GC the console will be at is end of it's economical lifespan. So the hardware protection just holded long enough. Sony and Microsoft can learn from that.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

I dont think they can :P.
Also their have been exploits for god knows how long for the gamecube(but yes first hardware hack)
DYTDMFBSB?
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

well i just wonder if someone will make modified gc cases so they can fit dvds without it being opened up like in the video. also the emulation homebrew scene can grow better on the gc. and plus now we only need ahard drive which can be used to store files and even for virtual memory to help along after people max the cubes limitations
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

The case probaly hell you could mae one your self,the harddrive.......
DYTDMFBSB?