Makin A Games related TV Show

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Makin A Games related TV Show

Post by Matisfaction » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:57 pm

Ok i was in london visiting a uni buddy whos a film student (i also did a film course at college)
and we got tlkin about all the horrificly bad Games related TV shows there have been, oooo everythin from Games master, Games World (Sky one), Bits, all the way threw to the gut wrenchingly bad Game Stars, and equaly bad GamesVille Doh!!!

Anyway weve made a few decent "pilot" TV shows in our time for our Respected courses, And started lookin at How to go about putting a Games Based TV show together, and its a lot trickier than you think getting the right format together,

Anyway we spent ages thinking about it, and weve got our ideas,

What would you lot like to see in a Games based TV show?????
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:00 pm

Id Rather Have a Bowl Of Coco Pops! jk

anyway in the us theres some pretty good shows about gaming. mainly x-play.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:02 pm

1LINUXuser wrote:Id Rather Have a Bowl Of Coco Pops! jk

anyway in the us theres some pretty good shows about gaming. mainly x-play.
Rnt they called Choco Krispies in the US????

+ UK gaming shows stink!
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:09 pm

Rnt they called Choco Krispies in the US????
well we have choco puffs and choco krispies. i don't eat either so i don't have a clue.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 pm

Mmm coco pops...havent had those in a while :P
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:08 pm

There Still Real Good Man!
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been liked: 3 times

Post by pixel » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:25 pm

uh.. do as little talking as humanly possible. Intro the review/preview and that's it. No cute skits, no manifestos, no crap. That's what made Extended Play and its previous incarnations good. More game, less crap.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:20 pm

Yes like what was said before, don't talk about stuff that has nothing got to do with gaming, give some good reviews, and previews, and maybe even read out some viewers reviews, and have all the latest news on gaming, show off the latest hardware, and well thats pretty much all i can think of for a good game show.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:47 pm

Well, x-play has done the best so far when it comes to gaming tv. No question. OK, maybe extended play was a lil better but morgan's tits as well as morgan is a welcome addition.

Seriously, if you're gonna make a show then i highly suggest you take a look at how techtv(before G4) did there shows. The magic was that the hosts actually used their own personality to talk to the audience. It feels so genuine. Sure you're gonna need cue cards for somethings, but get a witty reviewer who can describe their experiences well. Don't follow anything G4 does. None of their hosts are "real". Stick with 2 hosts so that you can have a ebert and ropert thing going on. Don't go more than 5 since that'll be too much camera movement. 5 people did work for Bill Mahr's show Politically incorrect.

As for actual content, show anticipated games and unheard of games that are good. I gotta use xplay again since they do it so well. Their reviews are the right amount of length. One thing not to follow is their unrelated yet clever skits. just leave that alone. If you want, you can do hardware reviews.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:33 am

Id like to see somone who acually knows what they are talking about, Instead of gettin two complete Tits who played and xbox once, and double dragon when thery were 8, and think they know it all!
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:48 am

check out consolevania, they got a good mix of comedy and well written reviews

http://www.consolevania.com

There are 3 episodes at the minutes but they have started monthly episodes now. The 3rd one isn't as good as the first 2 but it will be easier to download as it's done with bittorrent and it's the latest episode
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:00 am

...and as much as I hate to say it.... sex sells. I'm not saying that the girl has to be a damn playboy bunny, but having a traditionally girl on your show (who actually sounds likes she's picked up a controller since the 8-bit NES) broadens your marketable audience, and gives your primary audience (males age 26-25) something to gawk at. :idea:
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:09 am

Oh, and its got to have J.D. Roth! You know? The ROTH man! He almost single-handedly started Nickelodeon by hosting Double Dare! He.... he does the great teeny-bopper reality show Endurance, and how can you forget the remarkably sweet GamePro TV show!? And...and....!!!

....ok I'll stop now. :mrgreen:
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:29 pm

mmm.....UK specific answer -
i've had some ideas on this in the past, ever since the BBC scrapped Tommorows World i've thought theres a hugh gap in the schedule for a technology show (games included) it could be a hugh sucess, there are more new things to find out about test and review everyday, and i can't stand the tone of most computer related TV shows that seems to assume we're all 13 and don't know what fomat means, any ways few ideas from millions, a 'can dad use it?' feature on new gadgets (like text messaging phones or mp3 players), new graphic card reviews & benchmarks (not systems) with maybe a top 10 chart, the game (PC, Consoles, handheld) and DVD sales charts also, informative previews of important up-and-coming technologys (PCI-X or 64bit for example), a program sponsered game league/servers, good length decent in-depth interviews with people old and new you might actually want to hear something from (Tim Bernards Lee, Carmack, the people behind Ultimate/Rare or Bullfrog or even the original IBM PC devlopment team or the likes of Gates or Jobs (i've never seen interviews with these kind of people on TV really, but i would very much like to) and blipverts at the end titles with game cheats, graphic card benchmarks, and webste recommendations and the like. and of course one thing that is sorely lacking, full screen good length moving images of games (also the promtional clips released at E3 and such) this is the best thing TV has to offer and beats PC mags hands down, you just got to see it moving.
miko.

P.S. No weird guru types, No crap production graphics, decent hosts (and No, No, No, to Carol Vorderman) and No eliteism either, all in all, a decent magazine show, but a computer/technology one and it should be done at the beeb too . . . (1 hour 3 times a weeks (after the news, like Nationwide), omnibus on saturday or sunday afternoon BBC2 :D )
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:41 pm

Gmc wrote:Mmm coco pops...havent had those in a while :P
Cosign :P
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:53 am

sorry to say this but,games related tv shows are played out as hell. There's a game related tv STATION for crying out loud, so chances are whatever u do has already been done, UNLESS (idea just came) it's something like a documentary about hentai games or those dating sims and the type of people that play them. That would atleast be of some interest to me
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:07 am

MystiK wrote:sorry to say this but,games related tv shows are played out as hell. There's a game related tv STATION for crying out loud, so chances are whatever u do has already been done, UNLESS (idea just came) it's something like a documentary about hentai games or those dating sims and the type of people that play them. That would atleast be of some interest to me
Dude were you there wen we were planning this????
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:28 am

no,why? did you all come up with that as well?
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:10 am

Well yeah! kinda like Adam and Joe in tokyo, but about games really!
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:07 pm

mikozero wrote:mmm.....UK specific answer -
i've had some ideas on this in the past, ever since the BBC scrapped Tommorows World i've thought theres a hugh gap in the schedule for a technology show (games included)
Indeed there has but even before it went off our screens I'd lost interest in it for some strange reason :wink:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers