Doom 3 config tweak "WOW"

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by zickfun »

I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, a mx440 could run it at that (judging from halo) because it just uses fixed shaders, no pixel shaders. Or something like that. I remember if you run stuff in Dx7 mode compared to Dx8.1 then the Dx7 would cane in FPS but it'll look dodgy and there will be a few graphical errors....so yeah....if theres a way to disable the pixel shaders then maybe it'll run good albit good graphics.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

zickfun wrote:I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, a mx440 could run it at that (judging from halo) because it just uses fixed shaders, no pixel shaders. Or something like that. I remember if you run stuff in Dx7 mode compared to Dx8.1 then the Dx7 would cane in FPS but it'll look dodgy and there will be a few graphical errors....so yeah....if theres a way to disable the pixel shaders then maybe it'll run good albit good graphics.

I cant imagine this ever happening >_<
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

AmadeusZull wrote:u would have better luck in finding a girlfriend.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... :cry:
melancholy wrote:First off, you don't have enough RAM. Second off, that onboard video is probably only 32 megs. And even if it was 64, it still wouldn't be totally DirectX 9 compatable, which means some effects wouldn't work. In short, there's no way it'll run on your setup
So it does require 512MB RAM then? How ridiculous. Yeah - the video card is probably only 32 MB now that I think about it. I also forgot that D3 requires DX9. Count me out then. :x

- Fuzmeister
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

S. Thompson wrote:

melancholy wrote:First off, you don't have enough RAM. Second off, that onboard video is probably only 32 megs. And even if it was 64, it still wouldn't be totally DirectX 9 compatable, which means some effects wouldn't work. In short, there's no way it'll run on your setup
So it does require 512MB RAM then? How ridiculous. Yeah - the video card is probably only 32 MB now that I think about it. I also forgot that D3 requires DX9. Count me out then. :x

- Fuzmeister
It requires 384.
It's thinking...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

|darc| wrote:
S. Thompson wrote:

- Fuzmeister
It requires 384.
Ragnarok2049 got it running fine on 256MB. 384MB is just safe. You don't NEED a DX9 card to run the game either, hence why you can use a GeForce 4MX, which doesn't even do proper DX8.1, its emulated or something. Also, Geforce 2MX isn't official supported, or the GeForce2, but they are both said to work fine, as a GeForce4 MX is just an overclocked GeForce 2MX. About the onboard video, it just plain won't work becuase there is no support for it. The only DX9 you need is the DX9 downloadable from Microsoft, not a videocard which does DX9 effects. If you card doesn't support the DX9 affects, they just won't be used, and the game will still be playable.

Back on topic, this tweak did nothing for me in the timedemo, as it hasn't for anyone from what I've read. I didn't try the game itself, though.

The game plays decently for me though on:

Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+
512MB DDR3200 - timings = 2.5-2-3-7
Radeon 9600XT 128MB
Biostar M7NCD nForce 2 400

at 1024x768 - medium, probably high, but I didn't try.
SinTex
Admin Goku
Admin Goku

Post by SinTex »

Xylene, that is correct it has no effect on timedemo only the Real Game.

Various Tweaks
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm

This will prob be what i try once i get the game.

set image_useCache "1"
set image_cacheMegs "256"
set image_cacheMinK "2048"

Will let you know the outcome.
I am the hope of the universe, i am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
I am protector of the innocent, i am the light in the darkness. "I AM TRUTH".
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Sin-Tex wrote:Xylene, that is correct it has no effect on timedemo only the Real Game.

Various Tweaks

This will prob be what i try once i get the game.

set image_useCache "1"
set image_cacheMegs "256"
set image_cacheMinK "2048"

Will let you know the outcome.
BTW, when I set set image_useCache "1", the game would just crash at the initializing menus screen.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I get the same crashing when I try it too.
ragnarok2040
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by ragnarok2040 »

I ran it on a athlon xp 2600+ barton, 256 mb's of ddr266/pc2700 ddr ram, and a 128 mb gf4 ti4200SE. The only difference between low and medium quality is that low quality is for 64 mb graphics cards and medium quality is for 128 mb graphics cards. Turning off shadows provided a huge increase in fps and they don't look real anyways. I didn't notice a large difference in speed with everything else enabled/disabled, though.

I would try setting the image_cacheMegs to "64" if you have 256 mb's of ram, and remember to unpack the .pk4 files using winrar or something in order to increase the speed, just don't delete the game00.pk4 file and move the other .pk4 files somewhere else, you need them for multiplayer.

Also, for agp aperture size in the bios, that number indicates how many mb's of system ram to dedicate to the agp card. If you don't have a lot of system ram, <256, set it to 32 or 64 if you're close to 256 mb's. For >256, set it to 64, and if you're closer to 512, set it to 128. I changed mine from 128 to 64 and noticed a large improvement in speed in Doom3.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

I have a 64MB graphics card and 256MB of RAM and I've set the graphics aperture size to 64MB as long as I have the PC.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

the gf4 mx can run doom3, it just doenst give all the eye candy

if you install halo on two identical PC's, and equip one with a gf4 mx 440, and the other with a gf4 ti 4800, the mx will win frame rate wise, or at the very least keep up (untill you disable the shaders on the ti)
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I got a steady 20FPS. Unpacked the pk4 files and now I just get an error saying it can't load default.cfg in pak000 :(
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

ragnarok2040 wrote:Also, for agp aperture size in the bios, that number indicates how many mb's of system ram to dedicate to the agp card. If you don't have a lot of system ram, <256, set it to 32 or 64 if you're close to 256 mb's. For >256, set it to 64, and if you're closer to 512, set it to 128. I changed mine from 128 to 64 and noticed a large improvement in speed in Doom3.
I have always understood it to be the convention to set the AGP apeture to 2x the amount of vram you have, given you have more than double the amount of system ram.

I have 256mb of vram and 1.25gb of system ram. I set my agp apeture to 512mb. Theoretically i could set it to 1gb, but that would probably result in speed decreases.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

I get good results with this autoexec.cfg, runs around 60fps & doesnt drop much in combat, obviously the showfps is optional but nice to moniter performance. I'll be playin with it a bit later probably to turn more on, just noticed some are off (got most of it form another site which I wont mention)

Code: Select all

seta image_downSizeLimit "512"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_downSize "1"
seta image_forceDownSize "1"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta r_preload "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_shadows "0"
seta r_useOptimizedShadows "1"
seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
seta g_projectilelights "1"
seta g_bloodEffects "1"
seta g_decals "0"
seta g_showBrass "0"
seta g_muzzleFlash "0"
seta g_doublevision "0"
seta g_showPlayerShadow "0"
seta image_anisotropy "0"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST" 
seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "256"
seta image_cacheMinK "32768"
seta com_showFPS "1"
seta com_videoram "128"
seta com_allowConsole 1
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Try Hummus' tweak.

Make sure to read everything first, there's several versions posted.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
SinTex
Admin Goku
Admin Goku

Post by SinTex »

Well this is the one i have been looking at:

No Tweaks
Only played upto when you get attacked, killed a few peeps.
On Ultra High with 2x Anti, during in game only got 13-16 FPS.
When it went to cut scenes was only showing 8 FPS.

I will run tweak tests later.

Specs:
AMD XP 2600+ 2.08ghz
1024 DDR 400mhz
256meg Geforce FX 5600
Last edited by SinTex on Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the hope of the universe, i am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

If you have an ATi Radeon graphics card,you may try to DEINSTALL the Catalyst 4.9 BETA drivers and install the Catalyst 4.8 FINAL drivers,which were released yesterday.
They offer 12% speed increase in Doom 3,plus they offer a method of computing only one object ,if there are many of the same kind and using it for all the same objects.This saves a lot of unneeded processing time and greatly improves speed and efficiency in certain cases.
Try this with Far Cry,where there's lots of grass and leaves :)
Last edited by nakamichi on Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

You mean 4.x, not 3.x.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Yes,4.x. Damn typo :) Edited and fixed now.

I'm amazed at how stable the ATi drivers are today (I have Catalyst version 4.7) ,compared to the ones a few months or a year ago.
When I bought my gfx card a year ago,it came with those crappy 3.x series of drivers that were crashing,with lots of bugs and very un-optimized.I was even not able to run Project64 and I had agraphics card that was more powerful than an nVidia,but the drivers were total crap :(
And,I was so pissed,I was almost going to sell my ATi card and get a less powerful nVidia...the nVidia Detonator/Forceware drivers were almost perfect at that time.
But as time passed,the ATi Catalyst drivers not only caught up on the quality of nVidia's,but even surpassed them in a few ways.
Just hope they'll increase the maximum texture size as it's with the nVidia drivers,so ePSXe can be run with the OpenGL2 plugin at high settings.
And,support for PAL60 standard...I HATE borders with the TV out!,and it slows 60Hz games by 13% :(
SinTex
Admin Goku
Admin Goku

Post by SinTex »

Well i did some tweaking & got 60FPS it does sometimes lower to 45 & when things are crazy drops as low as 20.

Also had to drop it to High Detail & no Anti.