Fat Activists Protest "Anti-Obesity Bigotry"

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fat Activists Protest "Anti-Obesity Bigotry"

Post by DaMadFiddler »

www.CNN.com wrote:NEW YORK (AP) -- Unashamed of their size, fed up with fat jokes, and angry at the national obsession with dieting, overweight activists are mounting a feisty protest movement against what it calls the medical establishment's campaign against obesity.

"We're living in the middle of a witch hunt and fat people are the witches," said Marilyn Wann of San Francisco, a militant member of the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. "It's gotten markedly worse in the last few years because of the propaganda that fatness, a natural human characteristic, is somehow a form of disease."

The association, known as NAAFA, holds its annual convention starting Wednesday in Newark, New Jersey, bringing together activists for social events and workshops on self-acceptance, political advocacy and the "fat liberation" movement.

"I hope we can be a viable force of sanity in the midst of hysteria," said NAAFA spokeswoman Mary Ray Worley of Madison, Wisconsin. "I've found allies in all kinds of unexpected places, but overall there's a lot of animosity. Some people act like obesity is the next worst thing after terrorism."

The convention comes as the movement is scrambling to counter federal government pronouncements that obesity is a "critical public health problem" costing more than $100 billion and 300,000 lives per year.

Jeannie Moloo, an American Dietetic Association spokeswoman who counsels overweight clients at her nutrition practice in Sacramento, California, empathizes with the activists' fight against bias, but says they should be wary of oversimplifying obesity-related health issues.

"Some people can be overweight all their lives and not end up with diabetes or heart disease or hypertension," Moloo said. "But the majority are probably going to develop one of these life-altering conditions."

Fat-acceptance groups were dismayed when federal officials announced last month that Medicare was discarding its declaration that obesity isn't a disease. The policy change will likely prompt overweight Americans covered by Medicare to file medical claims for treatments such as stomach surgery and diet programs.

"Obesity is not a disease," insisted Allen Steadham, director of the Austin, Texas-based International Size Acceptance Association. "All this does is open the door for the diet and bariatric surgery industries to make a potentially tremendous profit."

Most fat-acceptance activists endorse the concept of eating healthy food and exercising regularly, but they oppose any fixation on losing weight and contend that more than 95 percent of diets fail. They also decry the rapid growth of stomach-shrinking surgery; the number of such procedures has quadrupled to 100,000 annually since 1998.

Wann depicts bariatric surgery as "stomach amputation" that imposes anorexia on patients and exposes them to long-term risks. Kelly Bliss, a self-described "full-figured fitness instructor" from Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, predicts that future generations will disapprovingly look back on stomach surgery as "comparable to lobotomies."

Bliss, who coaches clients by phone and in fitness classes, subscribes to a philosophy called "health at every size" -- preaching that health, fitness and self-esteem can be achieved independent of weight.

"There's a war on obese people, and I'm treating the casualties - people whose hearts are being ripped out," Bliss said.

NAAFA and others have tried to combat what they see as rampant discrimination against fat people, but progress has been sporadic. Southwest Airlines, for example, resisted protests targeting its policy of requiring large passengers to purchase a second ticket if they can't fit in a single seat.

"People want to fight for their rights, but there's a lot of shame involved," Steadham said. "It takes a whole lot of determination to stick through it to the end."

A few cities, including San Francisco, explicitly outlaw weight discrimination. Michigan is the only state to do so, but its Civil Rights Department said only five of 1,696 job discrimination complaints filed in 2003 involved weight.

Walter Lindstrom, a San Diego attorney specializing in weight-discrimination cases, said overweight plaintiffs usually must prove that acts of bias against them are covered by federal laws prohibiting discrimination against disabled people.

"These cases are more difficult from a proof standpoint, and also because you're dealing with a very unpopular class of clients," Lindstrom said. "Juries are generally disgusted with your average size-related plaintiff. You have to get past that, and have them see the plaintiff as someone with a true medical problem."

Many fat-acceptance activists were heartened by this year's publication of "The Obesity Myth" by University of Colorado law professor Paul Campos, who contends that diet promoters, drug companies and weight-loss surgeons have whipped up an irrational panic over weight.

Campos shares many of the activists' views but says their effectiveness has been limited.

"The movement has found itself marginalized by drawing its membership and leadership from the far extreme of obesity," he said. "It will be more successful if it can attract the two-thirds of Americans who are being told by the government that they weigh too much -- the I-want-to-lose-20-pounds crowd who are starting to feel a certain amount of resentment from the constant haranguing they're getting."
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

round em up, send out to pasture to graze........

seriously though, its been proven time and time again that being obese is unhealthy. that article makes me laugh, there really are some dumb people in this world.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

I hope we can be a viable force of sanity in the midst of hysteria. LOL. OMG people don't want to be fat. They must be insane. Mommy, but doesn't everyone eat an entire gallon (3.8L) of ice cream for lunch?!
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Well, I am fat, and I don't really want to be. But one thing I do know is Humans are supose to be a little bit chubby. I mean hell Ninja, when I saw your pic I thought you looked like a reffugee or something. Maybe it was the buzz cut you had.

Truth be told a lot of us get caught in a nasty cycle of Feel bad because we are fat so we eat for comfort, feel bad cause we ate so we eat again. It is a real nasty cycle and having all the media shoved down our throut really doesn't help. I know my weak parts are my mom, and schedual. When ever I start being good my mom will buy a million and one bad things arround the house, and get mad if I don't eat them. (this is after I tell her don't I am on a diet!!) The schedualing thing comes up because of school. I will start walking, or jogging, or playing DDR or just something and Whammo things slam me, and I have no time.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

mmm...... league of fattys (how long before belly wheels ?)
:?
Thomas Jefferson wrote:In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Forgive me if at any point it sounds like I'm talking out of my ass here.

While I can't say that I have truly been heavyset, I could qualify as chubby a few times in life. Since I moved away for school I've lost nearly twenty pounds and am at the bottom of my weight class. I'm online no less than fourteen hours a day, and the only exercise I receive is walking to class. This pretty much blew my mind until I realized what it was that I was doing differently. Being the cheap kiddo that I am, I never buy snacks. I eat three decent meals daily, but I can't bring myself to buying the extra stuff when it's me who's having to pay for it. Considering I'm leading the exact same lifestyle that I have for years, that has to amount to something.
Last edited by burnerO on Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I'm fat.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

pixel wrote:I'm fat.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

ninja wrote:seriously though, its been proven time and time again that being obese is unhealthy.
That's not exactly true. There are studies out there that showing some obese people are actually healthier than those who are not.

Also, by this statement I guess it's been proven time and time again that being skinny is healthy. That is also not true.

Don't believe the hype, people. The only reason they say more & more Americans are fat is because more & more Americans are eating more, but also the fact that we are getting bigger & stronger. Just from my time in the Army most of us were considered "obese" by national standards because we were just bigger than our suppose height & weight allowances are. It was total bunk, but I have now realized this seems to be the faction in the civilian sector. Listen to ads on the radio, diet pills at the Quick Stop, and Dr. Phil's fat-ass pushing his diet bull shit. They all just want your money!

Greedy companies & doctors alike, and the FDA is lining it's pockets.

Sure, they are a lot of fat asses out there (like the fat asses in the article) but I think this "national crisis" is being blown out of proportion.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The only reason they say more & more Americans are fat is because more & more Americans are eating more, but also the fact that we are getting bigger & stronger. Just from my time in the Army most of us were considered "obese" by national standards because we were just bigger than our suppose height & weight allowances are. It was total bunk, but I have now realized this seems to be the faction in the civilian sector. Listen to ads on the radio, diet pills at the Quick Stop, and Dr. Phil's fat-ass pushing his diet bull poop. They all just want your money!
Travel in the midwest somewhere and then tell me that....
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

You know, it seems that a lot of people - even in this very thread - are mixing the words fat and obese. As far as I am concerned, fat is just fat. Podgy, tubby, overweight... but nothing too drastic. But I was under the impression that being obese is when you're incredibly overweight. To the point where it restricts your mobility a considerable deal, and your body cannot perform as well as most. Not just someone who has piled on a few holiday pounds after sitting on their ass, eating lots of chocolate and not exercising over Christmas.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

I'm about 6' and 190-195 lbs... most people think i weigh a lot less, though.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I'm just as tired of getting the opposite end of the stick. People telling me I'm too underweight, wasting away, starving myself - despite the fact that whenever I'm with friends they always take note of the fact that I eat a lot more than anyone else :?.

For the record, I just about scrape 5'9", and weight a little over 8 stone - or 112 pounds for the Yanks.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Mikey1109
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mikey1109 »

Last edited by Mikey1109 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have gained a lot of weight cause of work, and I hate it. When I get laid off this winter Im going to put myself on a diet and exercise plan.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
scott6565
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by scott6565 »

"But one thing I do know is Humans are supose to be a little bit chubby"

sorry but no... people have been around for a long time and fatness has only become a problem recently(last i dunno 30 years?) so its definatly not a natural thing. And yes it is a problem, a problem that people love to try and couter with lines like "some fat people are healthier than skinny people" or "i know this fat guy who runs 10km every day!".
You cant compare the elite of the fat people to an average skinny person, its not a fare comparison. The fact is that the average skinny person is healthier than the average fat person.

And by the way, i take it that was an american article eh, they are the fattest country in the entire world hahahahhahah. OH OH i almost forgot to say, i agree 100% that those fattys should have to buy 2 seats ont he airplanes. Its not discrimination its fare. I hate the way the fat protestors cry about all this discrimination, "BOO HOO they wont hire me cause im fat", well thats life sh!t head!

oh by the way im not skinny either, 6 foot 167lbs
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Wow.These guys are like the pro-anorexia people, but in reverse! "Fat appreciation", my ass, you need tto lose weight if you can't sit on an airplane chair.Want to know how? TWO EASY STEPS. 1)Stop feeding your face 2)exercise.If you look in the mirror, and when you see yourself, you burn your eyes, then chances are, YOUR TOO FAT.I'll say it flat out.I'm 5'11 and 270, and I'M ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.I'M EATING LESS, I'M SWIMMING FOR AN HOUR A DAY, AND I'M DRINKING A GLASS OF GREEN TEA TO HELP AS I GO.Damn, people are so thatthingthatmakesdogsgetstucktogether STUPID.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

scott6565 wrote:"But one thing I do know is Humans are supose to be a little bit chubby"

sorry but no... people have been around for a long time and fatness has only become a problem recently(last i dunno 30 years?) so its definatly not a natural thing. And yes it is a problem, a problem that people love to try and couter with lines like "some fat people are healthier than skinny people" or "i know this fat guy who runs 10km every day!".
You cant compare the elite of the fat people to an average skinny person, its not a fare comparison. The fact is that the average skinny person is healthier than the average fat person.
What about when we all lived in caves and had to survive cold winters? Wouldn't a certain amount of body fat have helped to keep out the cold?
scott6565 wrote:And by the way, i take it that was an american article eh, they are the fattest country in the entire world hahahahhahah. OH OH i almost forgot to say, i agree 100% that those fattys should have to buy 2 seats ont he airplanes. Its not discrimination its fare. I hate the way the fat protestors cry about all this discrimination, "BOO HOO they wont hire me cause im fat", well thats life plop head!
I think it would be better to charge people for their tickets based on weight. Think about it. If I want to take on an extra 10 kilos of luggage, I have to pay ridiculous charges to be able to do so. But if some fatso wants to get on the plane, weighing in at 100 kilos more than myself, he gets charged the same ticket price as me. Why?

Obviously in a society that is supposed to be politically correct and morally opposed to anything that hints at being prejudice, that would never happen. But still, it's not fair.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

There is a difference between being FAT and being Chubby. Being Chubby is not bad for your health, but being extreamely overweight can be. Back when I was more active I was still probably classified as chubby, and I can say it never in any way effected my health or my life. I could actually out perform several of my friends who was skinny. Course now me and all my friends are fat, so we are all evenly matched.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
scott6565
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by scott6565 »

"What about when we all lived in caves and had to survive cold winters? Wouldn't a certain amount of body fat have helped to keep out the cold?"

thats true i guess for like inuits, but they ate whale blubber hahaha. well i guess russia is pretty cold too and like those viking countrys too. But im pretty sure most of the world is in warm enough climate that they didnt need extra body fat, and they sure didnt have it. People back then had a lot less food, and they had to chase is and kill it themselves, they werent big people...

oh and i didnt know they actually weight your luggage at the air port, i would make more sense to me if they did things by volume instead of weight. A little 10kg bag in a huge steel(1000 tonne?) airplane isnt going to wieght it down enough to waist even a penny of gas.