Woman Arrested for Eating Candy

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Woman Arrested for Eating Candy

Post by melancholy »

link
WASHINGTON - A government scientist finishing a candy bar on her way into a subway station where eating is prohibited was arrested, handcuffed and detained for three hours by transit police.

Stephanie Willett said she was eating a PayDay bar on an escalator descending into a station July 16 when an officer warned her to finish it before entering the station. Both Willett and police agree that she nodded and put the last bit into her mouth before throwing the wrapper into a trash can.

Willett, a 45-year-old Environmental Protection Agency scientist, told radio station WTOP that the officer then followed her into the station, one of several in downtown Washington.

The transit police officer asked for Willett's identification, but Willett kept walking. She said she was then frisked and handcuffed.

Metrorail has been criticized in the past for heavy-handed enforcement of the eating ban. In 2000, a police officer handcuffed a 12-year-old girl for eating a french fry on a subway platform.

In 2002, one of their officers ticketed a wheelchair-bound cerebral palsy patient for cursing when he was unable to find a working elevator to leave a station. Unflattering publicity eventually led the police to void the ticket.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ex-Cyber »

People being arrested for token violation of an eating ban and being ticketed for swearing? This was in China, right? Or Cuba. Gotta be Cuba. One of those evil commie states where they don't have freedom and democracy. Right?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

It's people like her that are ruining America. Such reckless disregard for the rules must be met will the full force of the law, lest the entire nation descend into anarchy.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

az_bont wrote:It's people like her that are ruining America. Such reckless disregard for the rules must be met will the full force of the law, lest the entire nation descend into anarchy.
Agreed. But the "full force of the law" in this case should be a ticket.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Roofus wrote:
az_bont wrote:It's people like her that are ruining America. Such reckless disregard for the rules must be met will the full force of the law, lest the entire nation descend into anarchy.
I hope you realise I was being sarcastic. She was told to finish it before she entered the station, she did. She just happened to be chewing the last mouthful when she got to the entrance. Unless she has some sort of serious dribbling disorder, I don't see what the problem is. Would they give out tickets for chewing gum?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

az_bont wrote:
Roofus wrote:
I hope you realise I was being sarcastic. She was told to finish it before she entered the station, she did. She just happened to be chewing the last mouthful when she got to the entrance. Unless she has some sort of serious dribbling disorder, I don't see what the problem is. Would they give out tickets for chewing gum?
So what good is having rules if you don't enforce them?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Roofus wrote:
az_bont wrote:
Roofus wrote:
So what good is having rules if you don't enforce them?

Thug life!
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

If she was chewing it while she was in there, she was was technically eating. I wouldn't have done anything about it. I guess she just got a cop who was in a bad mood.

About that guy swearing- it is illegal in public in most states.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

farrell2k wrote:About that guy swearing- it is illegal in public in most states.
Since when?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Hey! This sounds like my new game show idea. It's called "What's the Problem Here," and will be debuting a week after the Apocalypse. The way it works is very easy. In each round, the host (me) will present two scenarios. One is an important problem, and the other is really unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Let's try a couple of example questions to see if my game show will work, shall we?

[ROUND ONE]
Scenario One wrote: A woman is seen eating a candy bar while entering a train station.
Scenario Two wrote: Taxpayer money was wasted to create and enforce legislation which makes it unlawful to eat in the train station.
Which is the important problem? The correct answer is "Scenario Two"

[ROUND TWO]
Scenario One wrote: There isn't a working elevator in the subway station, making it impossible for a man in a wheelchair to leave.
Scenario Two wrote: The man in the wheelchair said a naughty word.
Which is the important problem?The correct answer is "Scenario One"
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

melancholy wrote:
farrell2k wrote:About that guy swearing- it is illegal in public in most states.
Since when?
Contact you local gov't and ask them if you would be disturbing the peace by doing somehing like that.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Read more carefully. She wasn't arrested for eating candy.
WASHINGTON - A government scientist finishing a candy bar on her way into a subway station where eating is prohibited was arrested, handcuffed and detained for three hours by transit police.

Stephanie Willett said she was eating a PayDay bar on an escalator descending into a station July 16 when an officer warned her to finish it before entering the station. Both Willett and police agree that she nodded and put the last bit into her mouth before throwing the wrapper into a trash can.

Willett, a 45-year-old Environmental Protection Agency (news - web sites) scientist, told radio station WTOP that the officer then followed her into the station, one of several in downtown Washington.

"Don't you have some other crimes you have to take care of?" Willett said she told the officer.

Washington has been under heightened security because of the continuing threat of terrorism. And last week, police declared a citywide crime emergency over rising juvenile crime.

The transit police officer asked for Willett's identification, but Willett kept walking. She said she was then frisked and handcuffed.

"If she had stopped eating, it would have been the end of it and if she had just stopped for the issuance of a citation, she never would have been locked up," Transit Police Chief Polly Hanson said Thursday.

Metrorail has been criticized in the past for heavy-handed enforcement of the eating ban. In 2000, a police officer handcuffed a 12-year-old girl for eating a french fry on a subway platform.

In 2002, one of their officers ticketed a wheelchair-bound cerebral palsy patient for cursing when he was unable to find a working elevator to leave a station. Unflattering publicity eventually led the police to void the ticket.

Willett was the second person arrested this year for eating or drinking, Hanson said. In addition, police have issued 58 tickets and given more than 300 written warnings.
She was arrested for mouthing off to a cop and not stopping when he told her to.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Prank phone callers arrested for phone terrorism. Litter terrorist killed for throwing pop can on ground. (We thought it was a weapon of mass destruction)
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Maybe she should not have been eating the candy, I mean she is probably a fat person anyway. :roll: I was thrown off a train cause I had a Mc Donalds bag. An empty one before.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Roofus wrote:Read more carefully. She wasn't arrested for eating candy.
The only problem is that the officer told her to finish the candy before entering the station. She shook her head yes and finished it before entering the station. Despite that, the cop still followed her. Now, she may have not stopped, but that cop had no reason to try to stop her in the first place. She did was she was told and they still went after her.
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rev. Layle »

melancholy wrote:
The only problem is that the officer told her to finish the candy before entering the station. She shook her head yes and finished it before entering the station. Despite that, the cop still followed her. Now, she may have not stopped, but that cop had no reason to try to stop her in the first place. She did was she was told and they still went after her.
read the extra part in bold that roofus posted... seems the original post was missing certain details of the article that prompted the detainment

a bit extreme IMO, but still there were missing details now brough to light
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Rev. Layle wrote:
melancholy wrote:
read the extra part in bold that roofus posted... seems the original post was missing certain details of the article that prompted the detainment

a bit extreme IMO, but still there were missing details now brough to light
You're not following me here. I'm not saying the candy was the reason (I just took the title from Yahoo word for word). But I'm saying that the cop told her to stop without a reason. She did exactly what they told her to, but they still tried to stop her. Now, you could argue that she was still chewing it when she entered the station, but I'm sure there's no sign saying "No chewing."
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

maybe the cop stopped her for some entirely different reason, but when a cop tells you to stop you can bet your ass they can arrest you.
scott6565
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by scott6565 »

thats sad... i would have done the exact same thing in that ladys shoes... was this guy even a cop, or just a security guard?(i didnt think they held any real power). Either way the guy should ahve more important things to do than harass people who have things to do and dont have time for their shit. Someone should tell that guy "if you wanna arrest people go to school and become a real cop!"
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

scott6565 wrote:thats sad... i would have done the exact same thing in that ladys shoes... was this guy even a cop, or just a security guard?(i didnt think they held any real power). Either way the guy should ahve more important things to do than harass people who have things to do and dont have time for their poop. Someone should tell that guy "if you wanna arrest people go to school and become a real cop!"
It's been a while since I've been to Washington, but in New York the tranist cops are real cops with real authority and can really arrest you. For real. I think that's why they're called 'cops.' :roll: