Graphics card problem

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Skullreaper2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Graphics card problem

Post by Skullreaper2000 »

I am trying to install this Gforce FX 5200 PCI graphics card in my brothers computer On Windows XP Pro. His motherboard has an onboard TNT 2 card and can not be disabled just set to PCI as the primary card. I have installed the card and updated the drivers but when the computer starts up it will give me a blue screen with error codes but does not stay up long enough to copy them. On subsequent boots it just freezes at that logon screen. Any help would be apppreciated.
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

u went to bios and made sure u disabled it?

i also recommend uninstalling what ever ati drivers u had on that system.

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Skullreaper2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

In the bios I can only select to have the PCI card to be the primary card, there is no option to disable it completely.
There has never been an ATI card on the computer so I shouldn't have any ATI drivers on the system.
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by WhtCastle »

Turn on the system using the onboard, remove it from device manager, turn off the computer, put in the PCI card and hook monitor into that, turn machine on and try that.
/WhtCastle
Skullreaper2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

I do that and when I turn the computer on it install drivers for both and on the restart I get the problems.
Bolgan
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Bolgan »

I do that and when I turn the computer on it install drivers for both and on the restart I get the problems.
1)Make sure you disable the onboard card from the device manager, don't uninstall it.If you select uninstall, Windows will say "new hardware found" when you reboot, then it will load the drivers and reinstall the card.

2)Shutdown the computer, install the pci video card, and turn the computer on.(make sure you connect the monitor to the pci video card)

3)When Windows says "new hardware found", install the drivers for the pci card, then uninstall the drivers for the onboard card.

If that doesn't work, check how many watts the power supply is.I'm not sure how many watts Nvidia recommends a power supply have for the Gforce FX 5200 to run properly, but it's probably at least 250watts.
Skullreaper2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem ending up being that it didn't like the PCI slot I had it in.