New improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB, 10MB attachments......

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB, 10MB attachments......

Post by hrb2k3 »

.....except i havent been able to login from DC using DP3. they must be stiill working on the servers or something.

i wonder what made them upgrade this for free users??
DC FoReVeR.!!!
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Yea I was very surprised when this happened. My dad gets 2gigs :o
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

wow!!

on a side note, Planetweb browsers cant login either, yet. at least i cant. :(
DC FoReVeR.!!!
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

yeah i just got the email from them....and i am very amazed thats amazing ....they go from 6 megs down to 3 megs,.....all the way up to 100...how does that work?
crabcakes
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

I can't wait till hotmail gets this. The 2 meg limit is just a tad anoying.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah now today i had 6 meg mine never went down to 3 meg i had it since 99 never went down. but now it's 100 meg this morning. and 10 meg files i can send.

makes hotmail look bad at best poor people who bought hotmail accounts.

Also what yahoo has done last week you had to pay $20 a year for now it's free whats up with this?
Dreamcast forever!!!
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

mink03 wrote:yeah i just got the email from them....and i am very amazed thats amazing ....they go from 6 megs down to 3 megs,.....all the way up to 100...how does that work?
Because more and more people are getting gmail addresses with 1 gb space.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

hearld500 wrote:I can't wait till hotmail gets this. The 2 meg limit is just a tad anoying.
That's not near as annoying as them killing your account if you don't check it once a month. I would get emails every 15 days saying that my account would go inactive if I didn't open it every 30 days. Then I had to go without internet for 3 weeks, and when I got reconnected, I logged in to find they wiped out all my emails because I didn't check it in time. So I let it set inactive, and they killed it after about a month and a half. Hotmail is awful.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It works because instead of using random advertising, they crawl through your emails to bring you targetted advertising.

pop3 > webmail always.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

BoneyCork wrote:It works because instead of using random advertising, they crawl through your emails to bring you targetted advertising.

give me a source on this.

I've never had any problem with Yahoo and I would be very surprised if they are breaking not only their own privacy policy but also euopean law just to sell a few more ads (considering how little ads pay anyway online)
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:It works because instead of using random advertising, they crawl through your emails to bring you targetted advertising.

give me a source on this.

I've never had any problem with Yahoo and I would be very surprised if they are breaking not only their own privacy policy but also euopean law just to sell a few more ads (considering how little ads pay anyway online)
Its only speculation.
There is a lot of controversy surrounding gmail because they have already made it perfectly clear that while other webmail providers use general advertising, gmail will crawl through your mail and use it to display targetted advertising instead.

Yahoo mail used to use general advertising, and now they are suddenly offer 100MB, I can only presume they are doing the same.

Also, Yahoo wont be breaking their privacy policy. It quite clearly says they collect information about you through your Yahoo activity, and they quite clearly says they use the information they gather to target ads at you.

It doesnt matter whether this info is gathered through using there search engine, or reading through your emails, their policy doesnt mention specific do's and dont about how they will collect this info, so if you agree to it, they can collect it however they please.
Yahoo wrote:Yahoo! collects personally identifying information when you register for a Yahoo! account, when you use certain Yahoo! products or services, when you visit Yahoo! pages, and when you enter promotions or sweepstakes.
Yahoo wrote:...Yahoo! uses information for three general purposes: to customise the advertising and content you see, based on the details given by you at registration and your activity at Yahoo!...
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Nyarlathotep wrote: I've never had any problem with Yahoo and I would be very surprised if they are breaking not only their own privacy policy but also euopean law just to sell a few more ads (considering how little ads pay anyway online)
You can get around Euro laws by putting a line in the user agreement that says americans only if you use it and your a european your breaking the law not yahoo. The russians have a site like itunes that sells mp3 for like 15 cents a song but in the user agreement it says service available to russian federation citizens only but the site is in english and it sells american music so they are dancing around the law to.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

BoneyCork wrote: Also, Yahoo wont be breaking their privacy policy. It quite clearly says they collect information about you through your Yahoo activity, and they quite clearly says they use the information they gather to target ads at you.

It doesnt matter whether this info is gathered through using there search engine, or reading through your emails
Um... yes, yes it does :?

That's like saying it's just as okay for telemarketers to get your details from the electoral roll as it is for them to tap your mobile phone conversations using a scanner :?

One is perfectly legal, the other is very ILLEGAL. Yahoo owns a lot of web real estate, and it is perfectly acceptable privacy policy to target advertising by: the content of the site (if any) you have hosted there (ie geocities), the cookies and redirects of pages you have visited and have gone to a yahoo page from and from the personal information you give when opeing your account.

It is NOT acceptable privacy policy to *read your emails* which is why I am fairly sure that they do NOT do this.
SuperMegatron wrote: You can get around Euro laws by putting a line in the user agreement that says americans only if you use it and your a european your breaking the law not yahoo. The russians have a site like itunes that sells mp3 for like 15 cents a song but in the user agreement it says service available to russian federation citizens only but the site is in english and it sells american music so they are dancing around the law to.
No you cannot, all webdomains with a country signifier in the domain (.co.uk, .it, .fr etc) are bound by the laws of the country who holds that top level domain - there is no way in hell Yahoo can scan my emails on a yahoo.co.uk page legally under European human rights laws.

There is also no way you can legally bypass *laws* just by writing a disclaimer - if there was I could wear a T-Shirt saying 'looking at this T-shirt allows me to do wtf I want to you' and go around raping women, stealing cars and killing people who look at me funny.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

gmail all the way baby! I've got a ton of invites too.
mogorman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mogorman »

ditto any one want an invite
pm me or first to respond
-------------------------------------------------
some say the glass is half full
some say the glass is half empty
I say thank god they gave me a glass
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

damn, i still cant login to yahoo mail even on my pc. damn u yahoo..!!!
DC FoReVeR.!!!
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

Didn't they go 100 megs because google started offering an email service and they wanted to do the 100 meg thing? I remember people talking about this awhile back, and also it ws saying that google would be the one that went through your email to better the advertisements that you saw.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
BoneyCork wrote: Also, Yahoo wont be breaking their privacy policy. It quite clearly says they collect information about you through your Yahoo activity, and they quite clearly says they use the information they gather to target ads at you.

It doesnt matter whether this info is gathered through using there search engine, or reading through your emails
Um... yes, yes it does :?

That's like saying it's just as okay for telemarketers to get your details from the electoral roll as it is for them to tap your mobile phone conversations using a scanner :?
How is it?
Yahoo reading emails can be classed as them monitoring their services, hacking into your mobile phone conversations cannot, unless you happen to be the network provider. And network providers do monitor conversation info on a regular basis so there goes that analogy.
Nyarlathotep wrote:One is perfectly legal, the other is very ILLEGAL.
Erm no. If you agree to a privacy policy allowing Yahoo to monitor your usage, it is perfectly legal for them to scan your emails, with our without the data protection act. By signing up to Yahoo, you agree to let them collect data about you by what ever way stipulated by them. What would be illegal for them to do, is sell the information they gather to other companies without your consent, but that isnt what theyre doing.

Also, as I already mentioned, Google have already paid it perfectly clear they will scan emails to target advertising. So arguing that "scanning emails is breaking the law and Yahoo wont do that because they are a big company" is totally pointless. Especially when youre doing it in the face of another extremley large company, who we know for a fact is doing the exact same thing.

[quote="Nyarlathotep]It is NOT acceptable privacy policy to *read your emails* which is why I am fairly sure that they do NOT do this. [/quote]

Thats nice, but sadly what you deem as an acceptable privacy policy would not help fund Yahoo to suddenly offer 100MB of space instead of 3-6MB (it varied between continents), and it doesnt reflect the law either.

Bottom line is, if you agree to let a company monitor usage of their services by whatever means they want, scanning your emails is perfectly legal.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Whilst I hate to interupt scykon and Nyar in the middle of an argument, I'd just like to say that this is a brilliant decision on Yahoo!'s part.

About six or seven years ago I signed up for a Yahoo! e-mail address, but stopped using it after I eventually migrated to Hotmail. A few years ago it dropped to only 4MB of space because of my inactivity, which is still twice that of Hotmail, but I didn't bother with it.

But now, it will become my proper e-mail account again. This is fantastic - so it isn't quite as brilliant as GMail on the surface, but it isn't all bad:

1. I can use it now, instead of waiting for it to get out of beta, during which time I shall not have a proper e-mail account.

2. It has a proper Inbox, and doesn't rely on silly gimmicks to sell itself.

3. 100MB is more than enough for anybody, including me. And the 10MB attachments is very generous as well.

4. It has the best spam-prevention of any e-mail service I have ever used.

5. I can use it as standard POP3 if I don't want to fuss about with my web browser.

With these sorts of features, I don't see GMail posing much of a threat to Yahoo! e-mail at all.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

that_guy wrote:Didn't they go 100 megs because google started offering an email service and they wanted to do the 100 meg thing? I remember people talking about this awhile back, and also it ws saying that google would be the one that went through your email to better the advertisements that you saw.
essentially yes, I imagine hotmail will start to do similar things in due time.