Hope somebody can help me with Helvetica font

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hope somebody can help me with Helvetica font

Post by SlammedNiss »

I recently lost everything on my c: drive to a virus. I've been working on a school project, and the project was in Helvetica Bold. I know many will consider this warez, but I've looked everywhere on my backup disks, and cannot find this font anyplace at all.

Can somebody please check and see if they have it and send it to me? I would be very much appreciated...

TIA
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Don't have but Google is your friend :wink:
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

perry wrote:Don't have but Google is your friend :wink:
I've googled it already.. I dont want to spend $30 on a font I need for just a school project..

Thanks though..
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Ha - from the searches I performed, $30 is a damn good deal. I found one site that said it was $499.00 for the Helvetica package. That's ridiculous.

I don't have it either, but I'm sure you could probably find a pretty decent free clone of it if you look hard enough.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I currently have 1900ish fonts. It pays to share a computer with a graphic designer! ;)
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

That it does. Not only is it convenient, because you have all the fonts at your fingertips, but, if the graphic designer is any good, s/he can tell you strictly by looking at a font which one it is. Whenever I have problems figuring out what a font is, I ask my favorite graphic designer, and he always knows right away.
DreamZone Forums

Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

in the biz world all you need is Arial or Times :P all these other fonts are useless. useless I SAY!
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Random_Troll wrote:in the biz world all you need is Arial or Times :P all these other fonts are useless. useless I SAY!
I HATE Times New Roman!!!! That and Comic Sans. People think that they can use these two fonts for everything. Doesn't Windows come with more fonts than these two?
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Has anybody else noticed that free fonts are all crap? On that note, has anybody found a good source of free fonts? I understand that to design a quality font is a hell of a lot more work than most people realize; nevertheless I can't justify paying $500 for a font.

Oh, and by "good" I also mean not something with a name like "Acid Reflux" or "Cenobite" or "Splatz". Something you can actually use.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Free fonts are actually usually good, I've always used free font's and no probs....
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Okay, I wasn't being entirely fair :oops: I lied when I said that free fonts are all crap. I know a lot of work goes into them, and plenty of them are "pretty" or "cool"... But it's really hard to find a really usable font. Take the fonts on the #1 google result for "free fonts", e.g. - http://www.1001freefonts.com

Out of the 9 pages of fonts for A, the only really usable ones are Angleterre Book, and Arborocrest. And that's just with a cursory view; I don't know how well they'd stand up to actually reading a full page (or more)

I'm looking for (well, was looking for) fonts that you could actually print pages of text in; not fonts that make a title look cool.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Actually, if you have Windows installed, you already have a kind-of Helvetica font: Arial

The problem is that Arial looks like utter crap, of course. It is supposed to look like Helvetica, but doesn't.

Basically, you have (or had, when all this fonts-on-computers stuff was first happening) four main fonts in common use: Helvetica, Times / Times Roman, Courier and Symbol. Microsoft ships Windows with look-alikes for these fonts: Arial, Times New Roman, Courier New and Symbol. Arial was based on a font called Grotesque, modified to have the same proportions as Helvetica, but it really looks nothing like it.

I do have a free Helvetica font on my system, but it's in Adobe Type 1 format, which you can't normally use on Windows. And it has a stupid filename (like a010013l, or one of twenty equally stupidly named files), so I can't find it anyway.

I use Bitstream's Vera fonts on my system normally, and they work just fine for print stuff too. They're free (they're actually included with most modern Linux distributions), so you can use them as you wish. There are a number of other decent free fonts, but they're a little difficult to find.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Go out and by a font disc package for $10 :lol:

I got one a long time ago from a fish and chip shop :guffaw:

Has fonts, clip art, sounds, midi's. You know, that kinda crap
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

perry wrote:Free fonts are actually usually good, I've always used free font's and no probs....
Same here. I've never had to buy fonts as there are hundreds of fantastic free ones.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

actually, my favorite font is Arial Black smooshed together a bit
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

10pt courier or system = leet
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Nyarlathotep wrote:10pt courier or system = leet
I always use Courier or system in AIM :)
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I use Verdana a lot
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Copperplate Gothic is one of my favorites. Baker Signet is another great one. They are obviously not meant for printing an entire page or anything, but they are nice looking fonts. Arial is a pretty nice font for regular use, but Avalon and Architect are slightly nicer spins on that font (which, as BA already said, is a spin on Helvetica).

Aren't the Swiss/Switzerland, etc. fonts basically the same as Helvetica?
DreamZone Forums

df0notfound
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by df0notfound »

Requesting fonts is warez, actually requesting fonts is even worse than going "someone send me sonic adventure" because making fonts is something you have to study for years and years to get any good at and theyre created by very few ARTISTS who don't get paid much at all AND ?30 or whatever IS A FUCKING BARGAIN. You are complete and utter scum to steal from people like this. I hope you fail your stupid school project you don't deserve to pass it.