Modded Xbox: The #1 Console For Your Money

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Modded Xbox: The #1 Console For Your Money

Post by Eckostyle »

Found this post at theSRK forums. After reading all that, then the entire thread, then poking around for more info, I MUST get an XBOX asap.
Originally posted by Hitman @ SRK
I have finally modded my Xbox about a week and half ago since I found some free time. I was beyond amazed what this incredible piece of hardware can do. There are simply way too many advantages of having an Xbox modded over having any other console. Let's go over the list:

1) It is the ULTIMATE media center, and the only one that comes with a built in hard drive. More importantly, you can update it with the outstanding Xbox Media Center software that comes with all the latest CODECS, supporting latest formats. From MP3 to DIVX, everything you ever want to play is here on Xbox.

2) It is the ULTIMATE way to pay homage to old school games. While I have played MAME games for years on my PC, when old school SF2 Champion Edition pops up on my 36" TV, I thought I was in the arcade again. If you are a SNES or Genesis fan, you can build an entire collection too. It is funny how despite of my collection of hottest Xbox games, my friends still love playing Metal Slug and KOF 98. I may just bite the bullet and get an X-Arcade (MAS is too expensive for me).

3) Every single game can be directly backed up to the hard drive, completely eliminate any saving/loading time. Pop a disc in, run a small program, it is done, almost 100% fool proof. There are other uses for this, but I am sure you will figure it out :-)

4) You STILL get ONLINE PLAY via XBox Connect (which supports all system link games, in other word actually more games than Xbox Live). However if you want CVS2 Live you are out of luck. I bought my Xbox just for that game but in the end modding comes with far more pros than cons.

http://www.xbconnect.com/

NOW:

The easiest way to mod your Xbox, is to look up somebody on Craiglist. You DO NOT even need a modchip. There are very simple methods to flash the built in chip although I do recommend having a pro do it first time. It cost me $60 to do the non-chip version and I had a 40 Gig hard drive lying around so I poped it in. Really wish I spend another $80 to get a 120 Gig hard drive (maximum suppoted by Xbox) I will keep my entire movie collection there. As it is I use my Xbox for games and occassionally I FTP movies.

You can transfer programs, roms, movies from PC directly into Xbox via FTP. A crossover cable from Radio Shack will do the trick. If you have a router it is just plug and play.

Anyone want to talk about Xbox modding or Xbox games I will be here! Let's get this thread rolling!

http://www.xbox-scene.com/
Check the rest of the thread out here.
rmbell
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rmbell »

xbox can have bigger than 120gb hdd's. you can still use live if you get a chip. and 60 bucks for a TSOP flash is way too much. thats my 2 cents.
Old school.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

Yeh, the 120gb limit was broken ages ago..

As for modding, I would say go with exploits, a lot more fun if you ask me :)

Also, xbconnect is a paid for product now! You should be using Kai when it comes out ;)
Dust on the Dreamcast
theultimatechuff
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by theultimatechuff »

rmbell wrote:xbox can have bigger than 120gb hdd's. you can still use live if you get a chip. and 60 bucks for a TSOP flash is way too much. thats my 2 cents.
I'd agree with all that.

Additionally this is a good article on the media capabilities of the xbox (although it also confuses the hdd issues slightly). Definately go for a hardware mod (modchip/TSOP flash) rather than the dashboard exploits unless you really cant manage either.
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

I love my modded xbox (=
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Tapew0rm wrote:I love my modded xbox (=
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

i love my un-modded xbox :mrgreen:
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Xboxes are how much again?
No signature.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

150 new
Giving H-E-A-D head
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

Congratulations on your decision! :)

If anything can convince me to buy an XB, it'll be DOAU. The system definitely appears to be a nice low-cost, fun, everything-you-need-in-the-box HTPC, though...
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I love my PC.
It has 2 advantages over an xbox
1) It can do more than an xbox
2) It isnt an xbox
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I've got a 120gb hdd in mine with a no-solder mod chip. I've been trying to sell it, but no one is interested. :(
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

scykon wrote:I love my PC.
2) It isnt an xbox
problem being a tower case or even a micro atx looks out of place next to a 52in screen. It just looks like you stole the setup from one of those reject Gateway stores. Where as a xbox goes under and looks fine with the setup.
Giving H-E-A-D head
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

There's nothing to say your PC has to go right next to your TV.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Exactly. My PC isnt next to my TV.

Personally I dont think a big black Microsoft branded breezeblock looks nice next to a TV either, but hey, maybe thats just me dishing out some flamebait.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Random_Troll wrote:
scykon wrote:I love my PC.
2) It isnt an xbox
problem being a tower case or even a micro atx looks out of place next to a 52in screen. It just looks like you stole the setup from one of those reject Gateway stores. Where as a xbox goes under and looks fine with the setup.
When your TV sits on milk crates and your speakers stands are made of PVC pipe and hubcaps, the asthetic qualities of your PC's location are fairly insignificant.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

damn, 60$ for a tsop....

ive only been charging 30 w/ switch for live (v. 1.0-1.1, 20$ w/ no switch) .... and i only charged someone on xboxscene 15$...... but he got 5 flashed xboxen.....

the 120 mark was broke, but it still cant be in any partitions bigger than 120gb.........

im gettin another xbox soon to try to make it smaller (ie. slimline dvd drive- EIDE hdd)
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

MKE, I'd be willing to sell you mine. :)
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
theultimatechuff
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by theultimatechuff »

MKE wrote: the 120 mark was broke, but it still cant be in any partitions bigger than 120gb.........
Not true, the 137GB limit was broken, (By using 48bit LBA in the bios). This allows a theoretical limit of 2.2TB I believe. Current limit is more like 400GB due to the xbox filesystem crapping out with partition sizes over around 274GB although this could easily be overcome by creating a new partition table with another bios (H drive?).
mkjones wrote:Also, xbconnect is a paid for product now! You should be using Kai when it comes out ;)
AFAIK its still free to play, you only have to pay for the Pro version if you want the extra features, as has been the case for a long while.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

theultimatechuff wrote:
MKE wrote: the 120 mark was broke, but it still cant be in any partitions bigger than 120gb.........
Not true, the 137GB limit was broken, (By using 48bit LBA in the bios). This allows a theoretical limit of 2.2TB I believe. Current limit is more like 400GB due to the xbox filesystem crapping out with partition sizes over around 274GB although this could easily be overcome by creating a new partition table with another bios (H drive?).
Actually, the limit with LBA48 addressing is 144 petabytes. The 2 terabyte limit is due to the Win2k kernel.
scykon wrote: I love my PC.
2) It isnt an xbox
You've obviously never used a modded Xbox. Xbox Media Center > everything.