um, wtf? athlon xp 2500+ is recognized as 1700+...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
tigger86
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

um, wtf? athlon xp 2500+ is recognized as 1700+...

Post by tigger86 »

After all of the comments and whatnot, I finally got the athlon xp 2500+...I ran DXDiag (win98se), and it says the following:

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz

The GHz was not that when I got it. It was more like 1.4GHz. I changed the FSB to 165 with the Multiplier at 11 and I ended up with the above. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT? Please don't tell me I just installed a fucking T-Bred or whatever the fuck it is.

The CPU was green with a shiney purple core if that helps any...
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

hmm stocked athlon 2500xp at 333mhz x 11 mult is 1.8 GHZ.

i would update your mobo bios. i think it may be a tad old to recognize the newer chipset.

but it surely sounds u are running ur chip on stock speed.

UPDATE BIOS!!

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
tigger86
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by tigger86 »

fack, it's amazing what you can learn in 30 minutes. Thanks for the quick response Zull but it seems that I need to get my ass out of the newb cart. My motherboard is apparently a POS and only supports 100/133/166 FSB. Wow, I'm great. Honestly, I didn't even consider the FSB on the motherboard to begin with and now I can ONLY run the athlon at 1700 simply because my max FSB is 166. It's bittersweet: I can't overclock the athlon or even run it at stock without instability (my computer hanged when the FSB was 166), but I've learnt about whole compatibility/support issue with motherboards and CPUS (duh).

So yeah, I guess I'll have to buy a motherboard that actually SUPPORTS 333 FSB before I can even dream about overclocking or running the CPU as it was made to run.

Again, thank you Zull for putting up with my newbitity as I like to call it. Trial and Error learning is costly, isn't it?. . . :oops:
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Dont worry, even some people I know have done that by accident, I tell em to ask me first cause I know all about it, but noooo, they go to some lame computer store that dont even know what a FSB is :roll:
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

tigger86 wrote:Again, thank you Zull for putting up with my newbitity as I like to call it. Trial and Error learning is costly, isn't it?. . . :oops:
my first time having sex was a weird experinece 2. my dick control was all over the place. shoulda seen me trying hard to put the penis in.

trial and error my friend. now i don't even need to look or use my hands to put my penis inside a warm vagina,

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

tigger86 wrote:fack, it's amazing what you can learn in 30 minutes. Thanks for the quick response Zull but it seems that I need to get my ass out of the newb cart. My motherboard is apparently a POS and only supports 100/133/166 FSB. Wow, I'm great. Honestly, I didn't even consider the FSB on the motherboard to begin with and now I can ONLY run the athlon at 1700 simply because my max FSB is 166. It's bittersweet: I can't overclock the athlon or even run it at stock without instability (my computer hanged when the FSB was 166), but I've learnt about whole compatibility/support issue with motherboards and CPUS (duh).

So yeah, I guess I'll have to buy a motherboard that actually SUPPORTS 333 FSB before I can even dream about overclocking or running the CPU as it was made to run.

Again, thank you Zull for putting up with my newbitity as I like to call it. Trial and Error learning is costly, isn't it?. . . :oops:

*sigh*

no, your motherboard supports all CPU's up to the 3000+. All FSB ratings are DDR ( double data rate ). If the chip is a 333FSB chip, that, to the motherboard is, 166 ( 166x2 = 333 ). Just set it so that it's running a 166 FSB and an 11x multiplier, which is the stock speed for a 2500+.
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

but i still recommend he buys a new mobo. mobo is most probably missing new key architecture that the barton chips utilize. plus over clocking is a fun short experience.

Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

yeah, an NF7-S would do him nicely.