How do you get screenshots of video games?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

How do you get screenshots of video games?

Post by GyroVorbis »

I know this sounds pretty stupid. But how is it done? How do you get perfect screenz of Sonic Adventure 2? How does GameSpy and such places have reviews and screenshots of games? I doubt they'd use emulation, because who would emulate the 128-bit consoles. I know you can buy a cable to connect your TV accessories to your computer. Is this how you'd do it?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I'm pretty damn sure they use video capture cards.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Yeah, it's all just cables connected to computers - which would explain the lack of crispness on just about every game screenshot out there.

Speaking of which, have you seen the back cover for TimeSplitters 2? The PAL PS2 verison at least has the blurriest, crappiest screenshots in the history of box art.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

How much do you think these capture cards would run me? I need them for game reviews on my website. I have higher morals than to steal others'
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

That depends. Modern NTSC videogames run at a resolution of 640x480, and higher for (some) PAL. Most TV capture cards cannot capture at that resolution, so expect to pay more than you would for the average card.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

i patch .xbe files with screenshot mods...but capture cards can work