Is Beyond Good and Evil good?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is Beyond Good and Evil good?

Post by compacho »

IGN reported that its now selling for $19.99. So being the cheap bastard that I am, I'll prolly buy it. I read one review that said "If you like Zelda, then this game is for you?" So can some people that HAVE IT gimme a mini review on good it actually is?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Yes. I bought it for $10 for PS2. I do kinda wish I'd got it for GC, as the frame rate is occasionally flaky, but hey, $10 is $10. Quite good so far, though I'm not too far into it.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I got it a couple of days ago, and though I'm not far into it, I really like it...and I don't normally like games like that.
AssWrinkle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Location: That little area between the Fridge and the wall...

Post by AssWrinkle »

From what I hear, it isn't only good, it's Beyond good and evil...

Buh dum cha...

:)
Sometimes I lay awake at night and wonder where Pauly Shore is at that very moment... and why no one has shot him yet...
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

I hate the way today's game reviewers compare everything to everyting else.

If you liked zelda...
if you liked mario 64
if you've played mario sunshine on gamecube, don't get vexx for xbox... :?
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

After seeing this thread, I decided to look this game up. I never heard of it before, but from all the reviews I've read, it's suppose to be really good. So now I'm curious about it as well. I have a $10 Target giftcard just wanting to be used, so I might use it to get that game. We'll see.
breachless
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by breachless »

It rocks. Very well done.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
guitsaru
the guitar monkey
the guitar monkey

Post by guitsaru »

i've tried the pc demo. its alright. Might be better on a console
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

guitsaru wrote:i've tried the pc demo. its alright. Might be better on a console
Adventure games are better 99% of the time on console. It also takes a while for BG&E to really get going. I'd say I'm around 1/3 of the way into it, it's getting very good. Quite fun.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

I also read that through out the ENTIRE game it will be played in a letter box display. Is this true?
Last edited by compacho on Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Its a very good game but try to get it on the Gamecube as its the best version of the three console options.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I just went to visit someone in Chicago who works at Midway. I went out to lunch with him and his work friends one day and they were all talking about how great it is, especially for the price.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

I saw a banner advertisement for the game while browsing the Web someplace, and thought "hmm. that looks kinda cool, and the main character kinda makes me think of a young Lara Croft, without all the crap" without actually seeing any of the gameplay. "I'll keep it in mind as a gift [for my younger sister]." December rolls around, and I decide to get it for her... We were at my uncle's for the holidays, and she brought her GC (since she thought that she'd play RE if she got bored, and I'm like "Yes... yes... bring your GC" and she just kinda looks at me funny), so she was able to play it between our cousins rocking Prince of Persia on Xbox (my gift for them) and SSX3 on PS2 (my older sister's present for them, under recommendation from me).

When she fired it up, I was like "hey. looks good" but the more she progressed, the more awestruck I became. For a game that hardly got any promotion (that I saw) and seemed to come out of nowhere, it seems unbelievably good. I have no idea of why the price dropped after the holidays, but, I definitely think that it's worth the pre-holiday price. Looks good, [apparently] plays good, and I think that it's on the right track in terms of video game progression as a whole.

Granted, I've not played any of it myself, and it's probably only of interest to 75% of the game players out there (due to genre and style), but for those 75%, chances are good that it's gold. I really hit home with the thing, too; I hadn't read up on it, I hadn't heard about it, and I was only going with a hunch when I forked the cash over. I bought Rogue Ops for her (my sister) for her birthday, and that was a serious flop (understandably)... This one, she was practically playing every morning while we were in AZ, and she's still psyched about it. Loves the game! I'm glad. :D

Also; I did notice how everything (seemingly) is presented in widescreen format. Kudos from me! A shame that we couldn't play games on my uncle's new widescreen TV, but, as cool as it would be, I still wouldn't feel perfectly right about it. The TV's just so nice, and... new, and everything...
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Dazz
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Dazz »

I got the xbox version iand i really love it though i payed full price for it just 2 weeks before they dropped the price. :x
http://www.tradegamesnow.com/ Best Damn Trading Site Period
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Xbox,GC and PS2 Brand New BG&E US versions just $23.12 each.

http://videogamesplus.ca/

Bargain, I've bought from these before they are trustworthy.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It should be $20 American at nearly every retailer there is...
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

You can shoot me for saying this, but I was just thinking that it'd be cool to have the game on Dreamcast. I could imagine the DC pulling it off, and if it were still marketed with the rest of the systems today, I'm pretty sure that we'd see the same list of systems on the release info as with games like Puyo Puyo Fever...
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I felt like bumping this since I finishd it. It is indeed too short. I would have felt ripped off if I'd have payed full retail, since this isn't a game I'm likely to replay anytime soon. But, I don't regret getting it for $10. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it..

Oh yeah, for the most part everything in it is very good. The ending was a tad disappointing and too short, and the last twist after the credits rolled (which I didn't find that surprising) was very lame.
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Lartrak wrote:I felt like bumping this since I finishd it. It is indeed too short. I would have felt ripped off if I'd have payed full retail, since this isn't a game I'm likely to replay anytime soon. But, I don't regret getting it for $10. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it..

Oh yeah, for the most part everything in it is very good. The ending was a tad disappointing and too short, and the last twist after the credits rolled (which I didn't find that surprising) was very lame.
Speaking of short games, it just occured to me that a lot of Ubisoft's recent games are short. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time took me a measly 8 hours to finish and I've only been playing Splinter Cell for about 2 hours and I'm already 20% through the game.

How long did it take you to beat the game? I'm probably still gonna pick this game up since it sounds pretty good, but I am a little dissapointed that so many of these great games have been so short. :(
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

Yeah, the game is very good but far shorter than it should be. I was done with it in about eight hours, though in all fairness I didn't find all the animals or get all the pearls within. It is well worth $20 however, as it's got great graphics and sound, and a decent story to boot.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.