X-Box Live Discontinued

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

X-Box Live Discontinued

Post by cube323 »

I was making the rounds at several local Target stores today when I noticed something quite strange. At all 5 of the Target stores I visited, the "X-Box live kit" was being put on clearance. In some cases, the cleareance price was less than $10!

(By the way, the reason I visit so many stores is because I am a collector )

I asked an employe if this clearance was due to the impending arrival of "X-Box Live 2.0," the so-called "re-launch" of X-Box live. The employe, who was the manager of the video game dept, told me that Target will NO LONGER be carrying X-Box Live Accessories.

Now this is the 3rd store chain I have heard is no longer carrying X-Box live kits. Something seems very strange and this looks really bad for Microsoft. I guess online wasn't the "revolution" they thought it would be.

First the X-Box gets cracked wide open and now this?!

I guess I won't worry about chipping my X-Box now.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

hmmm interesting.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

sounds shifty. But target is a crappy line of stores anyways :P
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Now this is the 3rd store chain
what are the other 2?
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

uh target clearances everything that doesn't sell "well" they were selling Lunar 2 for PSX about a year or so ago for $20

XBOX live is not dead, they're promoting 2 free months anyway

If it is dying that would mean they are changing it... maybe to compete better with the new PS2 online (to get EA online games)
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I doubt they would be killing it.. as is they just launched it in 2 other countries in the past 2 weeks...
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

They're releasing new Live kits. I seen them in the wearhouse at my Best Buy, and I believe they come with a couple of free games. I'm guessing Target's got them clearanced to release these new kits.
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

I have found X-Box live kits on clearance at both the Virgin Mega Store and Wal-Mart, mainly the "supercenters" though, and not the regular stores, yet.

I also recently found a GameCube BBA on clearance at Wal-Mart for $10. In my travels as a collector, I literally visit dozens of stores a week.

Also I purchaed one of the discounted X-Box live kits at target for around $14. There is a secret with Target clearance items. If the price ends in .40 or .44, that is the final discount price. If the price does not end with one of these numbers, the item will continue to be discounted, usually at the middle of each following week. I have purchased games for no more than $1.44! (although it was Soul Fighter.)

Anyway, Target's desperation to unload their X-Box live kits may in fact be due to the impending "X-Box Live 2.0." However, I thought this "upgrade" had nothing to do with new hardware.

Also, it's seems strange that a "successfull" product would need a re-launch. Which is what MS is calling Live 2.0

It just seems funny, Sega did online first and they did it better, and now the competition isn't really any more successfull than Sega was. Hmmm.

Well, if you want a cheap live kit, check your local Target or WalMart.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

cube323 wrote:Anyway, Target's desperation to unload their xbox live kits may in fact be due to the impending "xbox Live 2.0." However, I thought this "upgrade" had nothing to do with new hardware.
I don't think it does have anything to do with hardware. It's kinda like a Gameshark. They started with version 1, then a while later they release version 2. Version 1 goes on clearance everywhere to make room for the new version. The hardware didn't change, and you can upgrade any version of Gameshark with a new disc. The only thing that changed would be the software.

This probably applies to the new Xbox Live. They go to version 2, so everyone dumps version 1 to make room for it. If you go online with version 1, they will probably offer a download to update your current Live to version 2. No hardware change, just software. Of course, I don't know this for sure, since I don't use Xbox Live.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Random_Troll wrote:I doubt they would be killing it.. as is they just launched it in 2 other countries in the past 2 weeks...
And another 8 by the end of this month...

MS have spent a fortune on LIVE so expect it to be here for years to come. Also it wouldn't make any sense to close it now, just when they are getting titles worth playing on it (Crimson Skies, Top Spin, PGR2 etc)
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

cube323 wrote: It just seems funny, Sega did online first and they did it better, and now the competition isn't really any more successfull than Sega was. Hmmm.
Is that why Sega got buried by the competition?
Anyway, Xbox Live is doing well. Live 2.0 the dashboard. The new hardware might just be new games and a new look. And the way they make it now might be cheaper, so they re-issue. Why has Sony released like 20 different versions of the PS2 if it's doing so well? Hmmmm. Sony is going down. omg, they released another version of the :o PS2.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

60 million plus ps2's later if you not doing well after selling that many uints you have a big problem.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Well, I've said before that I think Live! is a massive scam, but two facts to bear in mind:

1) Less than 5% of Xbox owners use Live!

2) Nobody who uses Live! actually has to pay subscription fees yet.

I don't think Live! is anywhere near as successful as MS like to make out, and I don't think its going to get any more successful by MS throwing money at it, OR by them just opening up new markets to it.

For it to actually be successful once the people most likely to give a crap about it (early adopters) actually have to *pay money* to use it, it needs a drastic rethink of what its actually offering people that they cannot get with, say, XBConnect.

Downloadable content would be nice - but as shown by MechAssault, it needs to provide sustained downloadable content, not a couple of months worth before the dev team / publishers say "Hey, screw them getting stuff for free! We're holding all this stuff back for the sequel"

SERVERS! FFS, why would people *pay money* for P2P networking??? It is beyond me how MS can expect people to fork out a monthly subscription to their service without putting up game servers...

Tournaments - they have world rankings on games (ones they for some reason they reset every so often :roll: ), maybe they could run some kind of tournament with prizes involved?

Other publishers support - EA (pretty understandably imo) don't see why they should soak a bunch of costs involved with online play only for MS to make money from it without providing any servers / anti cheat technology / customer support for the games themselves.

Well, thats why I think historiclly Live! will be viewed as a failure. They don't even soak any ISP costs like Sega did with their (free) online service (which also provided game servers - for free!)
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Hey TreyDay, I would like to know about these 20 different PS2s that are out there? For the life of me I can only come up with 3. The Original, the 2.5 where they made it so you don't have to have a special adapter for the remote, and some other little changes but didn't really advertise it, and the high end PSX that is more like an expensive DVD Player with a PS2 built in. Then again I am not sure if that one ever say the light of day. Now I know there is a new Bundle where you get the Network adaptor with the PS2 so you don't have to hunt it down. Then again calling that a different version would be like saying the NES I got with Mario/Duckhunt IS much more different than the one I got with Mario/Duckhunt/Trackmeet.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

There were many different models of the original style one, with only minor differences between them, mostly because of slightly different (cheaper) parts being used in the latest models. Just like how there are around half a dozen different Xbox versions floating about.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:Hey TreyDay, I would like to know about these 20 different PS2s that are out there? For the life of me I can only come up with 3. The Original, the 2.5 where they made it so you don't have to have a special adapter for the remote, and some other little changes but didn't really advertise it, and the high end PSX that is more like an expensive DVD Player with a PS2 built in. Then again I am not sure if that one ever say the light of day. Now I know there is a new Bundle where you get the Network adaptor with the PS2 so you don't have to hunt it down. Then again calling that a different version would be like saying the NES I got with Mario/Duckhunt IS much more different than the one I got with Mario/Duckhunt/Trackmeet.
ummm i think he means by softwere and stuff, ya ps2 V1 & 2 and so on, they have changed a few things softwere wise but not outside, get what i mean?.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Xbox Live! things are now $70 at my gamestop. Bah.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

TreyDay wrote: Why has Sony released like 20 different versions of the PS2 if it's doing so well?
Because they couldn't get it right the first 19 times :wink:
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

PS2 is a scam. that thing has been out just a bit longer than the DC, and its still over a hundred bucks. I got a cube recently since it was a reasonable price. But since i already own a PS21 which is pretty much a ps2. well no i gave the ps1 to my best friend.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Nico0020 wrote:PS2 is a scam. that thing has been out just a bit longer than the DC, and its still over a hundred bucks. I got a cube recently since it was a reasonable price. But since i already own a PS21 which is pretty much a ps2. well no i gave the ps1 to my best friend.
Um.... DC was out before PS2... and a PS1 is not 'pretty much' a PS2...