Suggestion for the forums

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

What do you think of this idea?

Good Idea
73%
Bad Idea
27%

Total votes: 15
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Suggestion for the forums

Post by Calavera »

My suggestion is that after an admin has granted you a custom rank (such as mine) you should be able to edit it yourself. So then you could change it without having to bother an admin. So what do you think.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Of course that'd be a great feature but:

A) I dont know of a PHPBB hack that allows such a thing
B) We're not going to add any more phpBB hacks because it, for the most part usualy, fuc*s up the forums.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Of course that'd be a great feature
I don't think so. Many of the the custom ranks are chipper little insults from mods, like Cless's old title of DCEmu Uncool Newbie/
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest... Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Maybe this idea should be held off until either:

The forums are fixed...

or

Someone presents us with a link to a phpbb hack that would allow such a thing rather than just suggest the idea.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Wasgo wrote:
I don't think so. Many of the the custom ranks are chipper little insults from mods, like Cless's old title of DCEmu Uncool Newbie/

Maybe you're misunderstanding this thread...

He's saying *IF YOU'RE ALREADY A MOD/RESPECTED MEMBER* you should be able to edit your OWN rank, Instead of having to ask an Admin to do it for you.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Wasgo wrote:

He's saying *IF YOU'RE ALREADY A MOD/RESPECTED MEMBER* you should be able to edit your OWN rank, Instead of having to ask an Admin to do it for you.
No...a name hack is a name hack. There's nothing that makes a good one different than a bad one.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest... Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Wasgo wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Wasgo wrote:

No...a name hack is a name hack. There's nothing that makes a good one different than a bad one.
What Jeeba means.. like see how Jeeba has the "Loved by all" under his username.. say he gets sick of it, he would be able to change that only to something else like.. say.. Hated by all, without bugging an admin.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

i cant do that,but i think jeebas a megamod.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I.M. Weasel wrote:i cant do that,but i think jeebas a megamod.
He isn't. Just OT and Null that I know of.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Wasgo wrote:

What in the bloody hell are you talking about...?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I.M. Weasel wrote:i cant do that,but i think jeebas a megamod.

Me.. megamod.. :lol:

And only admins can modify ranks.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

(sigh)

Ok;

I have a custom rank - *as did Cless*.

If anyone who has a custom rank can change it themselves, then there would be no point giving idiots idiot ranks, so everyone knows theyre an idiot when they post - becaue they could easily change it to something good that they themselves wanted.

Making the whokle point of 'warning' ranks so people know theyre dealing with an idiot pointless.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Nyarlathotep wrote:(sigh)

Ok;

If anyone who has a custom rank can change it themselves, then there would be no point giving idiots idiot ranks, so everyone knows theyre an idiot when they post - becaue they could easily change it to something good that they themselves wanted.

Making the whokle point of 'warning' ranks so people know theyre dealing with an idiot pointless.
Then maybe you could only give the ability to some people. So that I could change my rank to KARR or something, but Cless could not change his from Dcemu Uncool Newbie.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The fact is, nobody here knows how to do something so complex, and there isn't a hack anywhere to do it. The feature is actually in the admin panel only, so you're going to have to get it out, make a whole new page for it sort out all the code, then change who can access it etc.

The simple solution is this:
Don't change your custom rank, dont get one in the first place, or pay Nyar a few thousand dollars/pounds/whatever to make you an admin :D
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

Ok;

that reminds me, how about tossing this uncool rank off my proflile? it's been like that for a week
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

JoeyStyles66 wrote:

Ok;

that reminds me, how about tossing this uncool rank off my proflile? it's been like that for a week
When you get that rank, it usually stays for at least a month
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

Ranks are admin set, so it would be impossible.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Ok;

Thank you, that was the point I was trying to make. (Very poorly I might add, but lack of sleep is bad.)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

JoeyStyles66 wrote:

Ok;

If you hadn't disobeyed Nyar that last time it would be gone by now.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

bah i didn't mean too. his old sig was still in my cache at the time and i made my new sig the exact same size as that one, so i thought it was an appropriate size