Do you have Xbox Live?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by EvilSporkMan »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
EvilSporkMan wrote:Live isn't p2p, it's client/server (well, largely, MotoGP really was p2p). You pay for Microsoft to run their authentication and matching servers which also track stats, not to mention "free" (included) downloadable content.
The only Xbox games I played via Live! (RTCW, UC, MotoGP) were all P2P - which ones aren't?
What makes you think UC is p2p? It COULD be, but I don't think so... MechAssault is definitely client/server. MotoGP is p2p because each racer keeps track of the racers nearby, as opposed to a single server doing all the work.[/quote]
Nyarlathotep wrote: I was also under the impression from people I know who have Live and are very unimpessed that those stat tracking servers wipe the stats regularly - again begging the question what is the point of even having them?
The stat-tracking servers didn't used to be wiped - then they started wiping them to give newbies a chance. If they were permanent they'd just track who's played the longest instead of skill because ranking (at least in MA) is largely number of kills, with ties broken by deaths.
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Also another thing you pay for is to get that downloadable content. Like on Splinter Cell and Brute Force you can download extra levels and such, also theres a patch that you can get from Live for Unreal Championship which fixes a few bugs and make the game run a lot smoother.

And Xbox Live is a lot less laggy than Xbconnect.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Gmc wrote:also theres a patch that you can get from Live for Unreal Championship which fixes a few bugs and make the game run a lot smoother.

And Xbox Live is a lot less laggy than Xbconnect.
So you have to pay to fix a game that was released in a buggy state in the first place. Nice. No, wait... EVIL! :evil:

Live! is less laggy than Xbconnect purely because Xbconnect has no netcode optimisations at all - it just tricks your Xbox into thinking its on a LAN - which it obviously isn't.

Its like Kaillera is laggier than actual netcode designed and optimised games.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

I've heard Live compared to Battle.net as they both do stat-tracking, server/client relations, friend lists, chat rooms, etc, etc, everything Live does, etc.
The difference.
I don't pay for Battle.net
No signature.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

toastman wrote:I've heard Live compared to Battle.net as they both do stat-tracking, server/client relations, friend lists, chat rooms, etc, etc, everything Live does, etc.
The difference.
True but Battle.net won't have 100 games available for it by the end of the year or ever.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

CoasterKing wrote:
toastman wrote:I've heard Live compared to Battle.net as they both do stat-tracking, server/client relations, friend lists, chat rooms, etc, etc, everything Live does, etc.
The difference.
True but Battle.net won't have 100 games available for it by the end of the year or ever.
No, but Battle.net has more users playing Starcraft: Brood War at any given time than there are XBox Live members.
I don't want to imagine what their numbers are for Warcraft 3.
No signature.