H U G E news confirmed

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by btm4k »

With what? A $200 release price?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

CD Cartridges < Solid State Cartridges

Sure, they are bigger (in size) and prolly easier to produce, but they make the PSP a moving-parts electronics device (ie - easier to break down). Plus, then you have to worry about memory cards.
Oops... :looks at tenchi's rank:
I'm guessin I'm biased :wink:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

tenchi wrote:CD Cartridges < Solid State Cartridges

Sure, they are bigger (in size) and prolly easier to produce, but they make the PSP a moving-parts electronics device (ie - easier to break down). Plus, then you have to worry about memory cards.
Oops... :looks at tenchi's rank:
I'm guessin I'm biased :wink:
But from the sounds of it, it's based off of DVD-RAM or mini-disc, and they seem to work rather well.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Tank-X »

BoneyCork wrote:I'm not sayng it isnt going to be good, but dont expect it to come cheaply, or for quite a while. Also, i wouldnt expect those specs to stay the same.
True enough.
FFgamer wrote:FF = Buy.
Yep.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

i dont think the is anyway they will beat nintendo, but it might give nintendo the kick they need to not just give us miner updates of the gba, this is why i don't think they will beat nintendo
1: it will most likely cost more then 200 and i cant see many people giving that for a handheld.
2: its prop gonna be to big to fit in most peoples pockets.
3: its prop gonna run low on ba
4: battery life is prop gonna suck.
KyleRXZero
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KyleRXZero »

Yeah, I agree with you guys. This thing is gonna be one expensive piece of hardware. But with sony's current track record, if they could score some nice developers like Square; this thing could kick some serious ass. :twisted:
I'm like you, I have no name.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

BoneyCork wrote:its funny, apparently Sony are crap and only fanboys like them etc. etc.
Then, they announce something new and nearly everybody is ready to praise them.

I'm not sayng it isnt going to be good, but dont expect it to come cheaply, or for quite a while. Also, i wouldnt expect those specs to stay the same.
well ive never chosen a side...and never bashed sony...but all that aside...i cant freakin wait for this thing! What would it take for exsisting PS1 games to be dl, via a computer or something, onto one of those new "mini disk" things? Stupid idea yes...i know...i am open for bashings... bring it!
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

PSP will include a USB 2.0 port for connectivity with other devices, such as PS2s or other PSPs
Heh.... For all the good USB 2.0 would give for connectivity to a PS2, it'd be stuck at USB 1.1. Not that I think that any data transfers it could do would surpass USB 1.1 speeds anyway......Unless it could somehow feed the video output to the PS2 for display on a television....but I doubt that.

I'm still surprised Microsoft haven't bought up the rights to the GP32 and started selling them with xbox connectivity software/cable. Zero RD time on the hardware, could even sell games on cheaper disks to transfer over from the xbox as an alternate to the more expensive smartmedia cards. And that would insure that you had to have an xbox... It's evil... it's perfect...;) Muahahaa....
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Wow, the Sony "hype-o-matic" machine is on at full power I see.

It's going to be as powerful as a PS6! It will have 8 cell processors and churn out 1 gasquillion polyshooglegons a second.

Translation: It will be an expensive, multimedia enabled, portable psx with short battery life, cheap crappy parts, and an exclusive FF game so that every man and his dog buys it. Also if you buy one in Europe then you have to put black tape on the screen to obscure your view and everything must be played in slow motion. Just for that authentic Sony PAL flavour.

Back to reality for a moment though. It is possible that this could be fairly good and spank Nintendo's cheeks. Frankly, they deserve it.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Well, it doesn't look that impressive to me. NURBS is just a mathematical way to model complex shapes. Big deal - you can get the same effect with polygons anyway. Heard of "curved surfaces" in Quake 3? They're actually just a mathematical model of a surface, which is rendered as a polygon mesh.

Looking at the rest of it... It's really not that impressive. Considering that most of it's amazing features are either really vauge (wireless memory sticks? What the?), or have already been done in either the GBA or GP32, it seems odd that people are getting really excited about it. It doesn't seem to offer anything particularly impressive, and you can bet that most of it's features will be under-used, because nobody can be bothered. Just like the PS2, really. Ever see anything much use the USB or whatever-the-other-port-on-the-front-of-a-PS2 is? Just a keyboard/mouse, and they're hardly PS2-specific, are they?
sony will need a strong launch line-up to attract attention, boost sales and attract more developers
No, they don't. The PS2 had a really weak launch line-up, and people bought it anyway, just because it was called a "PlayStation". People will buy it just because of the name, even if it only has one game at launch.
SCE has confirmed that it will feature a similar button layout to the DualShock
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Not the PSX pads again! Why can't Sony EVER come up with anything even slightly imaginative? Of comfortable?

I'm not sure if this would make a dent in the GBA, even if a lot of people bought it. Considering how many GBAs there already are, I don't really know what it could do. The people most likely to buy them are:

1 - People who may, or may not, have a GBA, but want to but it for the games. These will be the minority probably, just as they are with the PS2. And the Xbox, for that matter.

2 - People who don't know any different, any buy one because they've heard of it.

3 - Brain-dead fanboys who will buy it because Sony created it. Most of these probably wouldn't be seen dead with a GBA because they percieve it as childish, but would happily carry around a Sony one. Probably because it won't be purple. These will probably make up the majority of the PSP's users, just as they make up the majority of the PS2's users. Advertising really works rather well on most people, don't you think?

So really, since the majority of buyers either wouldn't have bought a GBA anyway, or would still buy games for one if they had it, I don't really see how Sony could hope to make a difference here. Nintendo just have sold far too many consoles to possibly be replaced, at least right now. When the GBA starts to die (which could still be quite a long time) it might be a different story.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

There is already way too much hype built around this just in one day. Its amazingly stupid. Remember the highly hyped PS2 when it was introduced? Don't we all feel kinda screwed now?

I think the portable will give some competition to the gba but it won't make nintendo shake in their lil booties.

The specs for this system is very impressive of course, but does this sound more like a new palm organizer aka a Sony Clie. And we all know how much those lil things cost these days. With all that's built into it, does anyone really think its actually gonna fit in your pocket? Sounds more like a better version of a game gear if u ask me.

This PSP seems to be aiming for a adult audience. How many adults you know carry a portable gaming system with them? Well since it does sound more like a palm, i might be wrong. Portable gaming has always been known as a kid's toy so i'll be surprised if most kids knew how to use any other of its capabilities besides gaming.

And finally, since the word "Nintendo" practically mean video games and the word "Gameboy" means portable gaming, its gonna be a hard long road for Sony to take most of the portable gaming market from Nintendo but its in no way impossible. I agree with most people thoughwhen i say that if there's one company that can take on the gameboy its Sony.

PS - Don't ask MS to a handheld. Imagine how big and uncomfortable that will be to hold.
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Tank-X »

compacho wrote:How many adults you know carry a portable gaming system with them?
I do :P (as of this past February I am legally an adult)
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

I prefer carts to discs. And I hate load times.

So I don't think I'd be a big fan of this console.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

I'll wait and see what happens when people take back millions of PSPs cause they break down on them. Thats why I never bought a PS2 cause I am not spending the money to get it fixed if it breaks down. I have had too many bad experiences with the PSX to repeat that mistake again..
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Although it may put a pinch on the Gameboy, this proposed PSP is a totally different market than the Gameboy. It's going to be much bigger due to the screen, bulkier due to yet another Dual Shock controller, and more fragile due to it's disk drive. It just can't replace Nintendo's obsession with small, compact, and rock solid...game systems. Still, once the PSP is released, I'm sure the whole argument about Nintendo being too kiddy is going to start up again.

Of course, as long as Pokemon stays popular, Nintendo doesn't have anything to worry about. :roll:
ragnarok2040
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by ragnarok2040 »

http://www.gamerfeed.com

On this site, they have the specs on it, ^_^. A widescreen lcd screen, with hardware mpeg-4 decoding, USB 2.0 port, 3d hardware, and etc. Sounds great, if only homebrew could be done for it, :/.
s700pid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by s700pid »

"...Video quality will also be enhanced with MPEG4, which delivers quality equivalent to DVD video at a low data rate...."
Complete poop first DVD is 480x576 and the screen is 480 x 272 pixels, even SVCD is 480 x 480 . Second MPEG-4 quality is not as good as DVD. Complete marketing rubbish... be interesting to see one though
Stupid is as Stupid posts
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Actually, DVD is 720x480 for NTSC, 720x576 for PAL. SVCD is 480x480 for NTSC, 480x576 for PAL.
s700pid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by s700pid »

I stand corrected :oops: but I think I kinda got my point across
Stupid is as Stupid posts
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Yeah. But, considering the smaller size of the screen, and the fact that it's an LCD screen and not a CRT, you can do two things:

1 - Decrease the video size a lot. That will mean that you will get a higher quality image at the same bitrate, since you\ll be encoding far less data.

2 - Use MPEG-4 with a slightly higer bitrate than usual. Most MPEG-4 movies use up to 1000Kbits/second, but I think that you could afford higer than that, especially if your storage is larger than a CD, and you're only encoding small clips.

MPEG-4 can be made to look as good as DVDs, but you have to either sacrifice resolution, or increase the bitrate. And, since the PSP has smaller resolution anyway...

Technically, it's not as high quality as DVD, but who'd notice on a small LCD screen?