How should they rebuild the WTC?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by mariobro » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:08 am

I actually liked the WTC towers... It was a clean design. And the "twin" design was so original, it's still being imitated around the world (check the Petronas towers in Malaysia). The problem with skyscrapers is that it's easy to go over the top, making the design painfully dated as time goes by, like the AT&T building. Now that's a hideous building. It just screams "Reagan Era!" at you... The WTC was conceived in the 1950's, and it still looked modern.

The new project might look cutting-edge now, but what about 30 years from now?

And by the way, that was the second project by Minoru Yamazaki, the WTC architect, that was demolished. The first was an apartment complex that was perfectly functional, but was deemed as "cold" and "unfriendly", whatever that means. They built some post-modern crap in its place, that now seems charmingly outdated. :D
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:00 am

Granted, I don't live in New York, so what I say only has so much weight versus what the people who live there actually want (which some people seem to forget).

I personally feel we ought to rebuild them, exactly as they were, only bigger. Basically send the message of "Blow up our towers eh, terrorist sumbitches? We'll build 'em back bigger AND bomb your asses back to the stone age!"

All this modern architecture is a joke, though. The buldings look nothing like what is around them, and the whole concept, besides being damned ugly, is so stupid and wrong for the times it's rediculous. If we were all wearing Dr. Evil-esque shiny suits, then maybe, but this is the year 2003, build somehting for our era, and the next few. I don't consider Dr. Evil-esque shiny suits seriously viable for at least another 200 years, assuming we avoid a trekkie overpopulation.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:55 pm

check the Petronas towers in Malaysia
They're a lot better looking then the WTC ever was. Just my opinion.

Personally, I think the swamp probably looked better then Manhattan does now. My sister lives there though, so I'm not gonna argue we should demolish Manhattan and fill it in to make new wetlands. :wink:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:00 pm

fatheadpi wrote:I personally feel we ought to rebuild them, exactly as they were, only bigger. Basically send the message of "Blow up our towers eh, terrorist sumbitches? We'll build 'em back bigger AND bomb your asses back to the stone age!"
Bomb who? The thousands of innocent civilians who happen to live in an area vaguely near a handful of suspected terrorists?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:11 pm

The thousands of innocent civilians who happen to live in an area vaguely near a handful of suspected terrorists?
Was referring to future terrorists on that one Az. But if you want to be a dick about it, then yes. Look at it this way: I'm sure there were plenty of people in the towers who didn't support our middle east misadventures. Who in their right mind would want to keep a bunch of Muslims, Dictators, and Jews from Slaughtering a bunch of Muslims, Dictators, and Jews? They just happened to work in the same area as a bunch of people who thought maybe we should try to break up the Jew/Muslim/Dictator free for all. Same goes for the people on the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania, as well as the Pentagon.

I guess in a way it's like fighting terrorism with terrorism. Except we're better, smarter, wealthier, and angrier terrorists. Hell, that's our foreign policy anymore. If you attack us, not only will we spend trillions of dollars chasing your asses around the world, in the process we will flatten anything that looks like, talks like, acts like, or lives like you do.

Besides, what better way to tell terrorists F*CK YOU than to put things back the way they were, only better than before?
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:21 pm

fatheadpi wrote:I guess in a way it's like fighting terrorism with terrorism.
So you want America, who is outraged by the acts of terrorism against it's innocent civilians, to terrorize innocent civilians from somewhere else? What good will come of that? And furthermore, where's the logic behind that?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BornStupid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BornStupid » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:23 pm

fathead, no kidding what so ever in what Im about to say...
I don't hate you, but honestly if you died it'd be a blessing. I'm not wishing for it, but ur death would add to less scum crap like u, because ur just a terrorist on a side that thinks it's right.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:32 pm

BornStupid wrote:fathead, no kidding what so ever in what Im about to say...
I don't hate you, but honestly if you died it'd be a blessing. I'm not wishing for it, but ur death would add to less scum crap like u, because ur just a terrorist on a side that thinks it's right.
Okay, fathead's a nice guy - even if he is a pet-killing, gun-toting maniac - and so I can only agree with the last bit.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:13 pm

I understand you may just be upset over the subject, fathead, but fighting terrorism with terrorism is just complete madness. That's fighting evil with evil...
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Sultan of Saturn

Post by Sultan of Saturn » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:16 pm

Honestly, although seeing twin towers does look somewhat neat, it just looked much too tall based upon its height. Almost like trying to stand a piece of dry spaghetti.

With regards to terrorism, I believe that terrorism should be abolished. With a global economy and the ability to travel far distances in such little time, the need to step up security is a must in the US due to the volume of visitors. I have family members that have gone across the pond on vacations, and they have all told me that they were given greater grief from the security of the countries they were visiting.

Heck, I was hassled quite a bit in the months following 9/11. I would board the aircrafts dressed as your typical college student (t-shirt, baggy jeans, perhaps with or without a shave), and they would constantly give me extra inspections. I like attention, but not that kind of attention. Nevertheless, I would rather have security do its job then risk another episode like 9/11. I remember people taking the bus long distances just because they were afraid to fly. Noone should feel afraid to do anything a part of normal life.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:30 pm

And yet, one of the 9/11 terrorist's visa had expired when he returned to the U.S. ... And he was able to talk his way out of it. And law-abiding people get unfair treatment... go figure.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:03 am

I think they should ask the victims families what they want. I am not too sure they would want the towers to be rebuilt at all.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:52 pm

I guess in a way it's like fighting terrorism with terrorism. Except we're better, smarter, wealthier, and angrier terrorists. Hell, that's our foreign policy anymore. If you attack us, not only will we spend trillions of dollars chasing your asses around the world, in the process we will flatten anything that looks like, talks like, acts like, or lives like you do.
Okay, see this? This is a cynnical refelection on the way America IS. This has nothing to do with how I want America to be. This is how America IS right now. If you would keep my ultimate goal in mind, you'd have realised that. Personally, I think the US ought to quit wasting its time and money on the rest of the world. Close the borders, except maybe to Mexico, pull out of the UN / NATO, bring our boys home, and fix our own problems. We should learn to become self sufficient in the process, and develop a renewable power source.
So you want America, who is outraged by the acts of terrorism against it's innocent civilians, to terrorize innocent civilians from somewhere else? What good will come of that? And furthermore, where's the logic behind that?
Well Az, what's your magical solution to terrorism? Ours seems to be to flatten the terrorists and anyone who would support them, and try to keep them out of the country in the meantime. Because of the nature of terrorists today, that's about the only real solution that makes any sense to me. Innocent people died in the WTC bombings, and nobody really seemed to give a damn. Innocent people haven't died yet in the coming invasion with Iraq, and yet the whole world is ready to support them.
fathead, no kidding what so ever in what Im about to say...
Yes, me and the rest of the scum-crap people in America who feel the need to punish terrorists and their friends should drop dead. Then, all that will be left is unreal pacifist f*ckheads like you and Az to bury your heads in the sand and wait for the next round of terrorist attacks.
even if he is a pet-killing,
Well, if people would quit bringing in strays and letting them roam free, I wouldn't have a problem. My dogs stay on my yard, and I don't think it's too much to ask for other people to keep their animals on their own goddamned property. Don't give me that strays are innocent crap. I've seen too many cats get into my trash and too many packs of wild dogs attack my friends to beilieve that crap.
gun-toting maniac
Yeah, good old crazy, gun toting me. Boy, I can't count the nones and nones of people my guns have killed and wounded (namely because they haven't had to, and god willing, they never will). I'm such a crazy maniac. I go to the shooting range to shoot, wear proper protection when I do, treat my guns safely at all times, keep all but two locked in the family safe, and don't ever point them at people. I'll wait until I'm 21 to carry concealed, even though the Constitution should override unconstitutional laws and apply to people under the age of 18. I obey the bogus so-called "Assualt Weapons" ban, and haven't done any of the modifications I've wanted to while it's been in effect.

I'm such a crazy, gun toting maniac. I should be arrested and put behind bars with the rest of the pot dealers and gun owners. That is, unless I drop dead from being "scum crap".

Back on topic, it just occured to me who should have the final say in what goes back on the property where the WTC was: The people who actually own it, and no one else.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:45 pm

CoasterKing wrote:I think they should ask the victims families what they want. I am not too sure they would want the towers to be rebuilt at all.
Nah.

I think people should step back and take a logical, pratical standpoint to the problem at hand and stop being clouded by emotions.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:13 pm

404NotFound wrote:
CoasterKing wrote:I think they should ask the victims families what they want. I am not too sure they would want the towers to be rebuilt at all.
Nah.

I think people should step back and take a logical, pratical standpoint to the problem at hand and stop being clouded by emotions.
To an extent I agree with that but not really in this case. They didn't recover a huge amount of those bodies from ground zero. It would be like building a skyscraper on a graveyard. Some of the victims just see it as pretty tasteless, that's all.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:45 pm

fatheadpi - Calm down, man! Az was joking. I think.
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:22 pm

BlackAura wrote:fatheadpi - Calm down, man! Az was joking. I think.
i said nothing bad in this thread!!

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:33 pm

No, az_bont, not AmadeusZull
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:08 am

fatheadpi - Calm down, man! Az was joking. I think.

:roll:
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:19 am

my personal idea for ground zero

...but really we need something much more like other buildings in the area and not so far fetched...
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL