What's your opinion on console warz?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Who wants console war topics to die?

I DO! I DO!
54%
they r awsme, dn't tke thm awy
25%
You suck atf
21%

Total votes: 24
BornStupid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BornStupid »

It's all about sex. People want things because they make them feel more secure in their sexuality, and helps to make them feel more attractive. Some people do not realize this at the time when they purchase things. It's all deep inside their heads and they don't really take note of it. People do use products for other major reasons not related to sex appeal, like Linux users. But, eventually they need to subconsciously justify its place in their sex life. So the defending begins.

So, that is why everyone has console wars. They are trying to prove their sexual superiority. Therefore, console wars are about as natural as sex, so supression will just make it worse.

Just be glad it's consoles, and not Mac or Linux users.
I disagree. People can't afford all these systems, therefore they bash it to convince themselves they're not missing out on anything. These debates exist for those that need re-assurance that they really aren't missing out by arguing about it (and if they win, they feel confidence that they aren't). People even go as far as saying "even if I had enoughf or all 3 I wouldn't buy it" or they DO have enough, but they only say this because A) theyd otn have the money now, so need to truly make themselves believe the system sucks so they aren't missing out. B) They dont wanna waste any money and do the same thing as in A).
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

It's all crap.

Best thing to do is to strive to own them all!
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Firthy2002 wrote:It's all crap.

Best thing to do is to strive to own them all!
I own just about every system I care about. Many of those older systems that sucked such as 3do, Jaguar, etc I don't own. I plan to get a Masters System some day, but Im not paying more then $15 for one unless it has a buttload of games with it.
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

I'm trying to get there.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

The problem of a console war lies simply upon zealous fanboys. Whenever there are differences in anything in life, there is always a forum for debate, such as: Ford vs. Chevy, Honda vs. Toyota, Coke vs. Pepsi. I have noticed that as time has passed, many of the popular games have gone multi-console instead of serving as exclusives. Granted, GTA games on each system would help each system in sales, but Sony has Rockstar in their pocket. I would have to say that recently, the barrage of "in your face" exclusives hasn't been as aggressive as before, with the exception of 1st party releases. However, another problem with console wars is the fact that Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony do not have the ability to "force" games onto their console. Although Nintendo has changed their youthful face of old from their days on the N64 to one with a young sly smile with a patch stubble with games like BMX XXX, Beach Spikers, MK:DA, and LoK: Blood Omen 2, it still is the most juvenile of the three with more than their share of Disney and Nickelodeon games. Another problem of the console wars is that the releases of games are not always based upon best business practices. Releasing games as exclusives for one system based upon "choice" rather than due to system requirement bottle-necks is rediculous when you can reach more people by releasing a game on all systems. Another issue is the fact that developers sometimes just "fall in love" with just one piece of hardware and neglect other forms of hardware. One such example, when was the last time Hideo Kojima showed any love to a system that wasn't made by Sony? Shall we say the Sega Saturn with the Japanese release of Policenauts? Granted, one might argue MGS2: Substance for Xbox, but their have been obvious complaints that the game wasn't truly optimized for the system and that it was a release simply to capture the US Xbox audience as the Japanese audience on the system has been pathetic. The same argument can be had over Square simply supporting the PS2. Sure, there is...how many games under development for the Gamecube?...1...However, we all know that the GC and Xbox could easily portray a far more stunning version of any Square release for the PS2. Is it necessarily the PS2 fanboy's fault that the majority of the hot games comming out by third party publishers as exclusives fall in their laps? If anything, what I find the most interesting of the console wars isn't really the exclusives but rather the marketing by the hardware sellers themselves. What I find fascinating is the fact that Xbox seized the #2 spot here in the US with their Xbox bundle, but they didn't really push it with a major marketing campaign. If I was Microsoft, I would have put that No Doubt music video that had them playing JSRF along with demos of the games promoting the new bundle, but that is me. Also, of the three players, I think Nintendo has had the best commercials hands down. They were quite original and entertaining, especially at launch. I honestly think that Nintendo was too passive thinking that the #2 spot would fall into their lap simply because of their great first party games, the renewal of 3rd party game support and key exclusives such as the Resident Evil series and Sega's exclusives, but I think the key mistake made by Nintendo is the same mistake made a generation ago by Sega with the Saturn. Nintendo brought out Luigi's Mansion as their launch game instead of their established mascot of Mario. Although I thought Luigi was a better character in Super Mario Brothers 2, he hasn't been given the time of day since then. So why bring him out for launch? Also, I have no idea as to why they came out with a purple console. I think that its fruity appearance turned off many would be launch gamers simply due to its Fisher-Price appearance...especially the controller. Although the controller has several similar qualities when compared to Sony's masterpiece of ergonomic design, the oddly designed buttons just gives me a headache thinking about it. However, bad buttons also plagued the Xbox controller. Even though the design reminded me of an inflated Dreamcast controller, I thought that the buttons were much to small when you compare the size of the controller as a whole. The move to the smaller controller that got released in Japan is a step in the right direction, but there is still room for improvement. Although, the console wars are just really hitting their mark, it will be interesting to see what we will see.

Overall, I think console war debates are fine as long as they are open-minded. Who knows, perhaps in another year we can discuss GBA-SP vs. N-gage?

That is my 2 cents anyways.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Sultan of Saturn wrote:The problem of a console war lies simply upon zealous fanboys. Whenever there are differences in anything in life, there is always a forum for debate, such as: Ford vs. Chevy, Honda vs. Toyota, Coke vs. Pepsi. I have noticed that as time has passed, many of the popular games have gone multi-console instead of serving as exclusives. Granted, GTA games on each system would help each system in sales, but Sony has Rockstar in their pocket. I would have to say that recently, the barrage of "in your face" exclusives hasn't been as aggressive as before, with the exception of 1st party releases. However, another problem with console wars is the fact that Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony do not have the ability to "force" games onto their console. Although Nintendo has changed their youthful face of old from their days on the N64 to one with a young sly smile with a patch stubble with games like BMX XXX, Beach Spikers, MK:DA, and LoK: Blood Omen 2, it still is the most juvenile of the three with more than their share of Disney and Nickelodeon games. Another problem of the console wars is that the releases of games are not always based upon best business practices. Releasing games as exclusives for one system based upon "choice" rather than due to system requirement bottle-necks is rediculous when you can reach more people by releasing a game on all systems. Another issue is the fact that developers sometimes just "fall in love" with just one piece of hardware and neglect other forms of hardware. One such example, when was the last time Hideo Kojima showed any love to a system that wasn't made by Sony? Shall we say the Sega Saturn with the Japanese release of Policenauts? Granted, one might argue MGS2: Substance for Xbox, but their have been obvious complaints that the game wasn't truly optimized for the system and that it was a release simply to capture the US Xbox audience as the Japanese audience on the system has been pathetic. The same argument can be had over Square simply supporting the PS2. Sure, there is...how many games under development for the Gamecube?...1...However, we all know that the GC and Xbox could easily portray a far more stunning version of any Square release for the PS2. Is it necessarily the PS2 fanboy's fault that the majority of the hot games comming out by third party publishers as exclusives fall in their laps? If anything, what I find the most interesting of the console wars isn't really the exclusives but rather the marketing by the hardware sellers themselves. What I find fascinating is the fact that Xbox seized the #2 spot here in the US with their Xbox bundle, but they didn't really push it with a major marketing campaign. If I was Microsoft, I would have put that No Doubt music video that had them playing JSRF along with demos of the games promoting the new bundle, but that is me. Also, of the three players, I think Nintendo has had the best commercials hands down. They were quite original and entertaining, especially at launch. I honestly think that Nintendo was too passive thinking that the #2 spot would fall into their lap simply because of their great first party games, the renewal of 3rd party game support and key exclusives such as the Resident Evil series and Sega's exclusives, but I think the key mistake made by Nintendo is the same mistake made a generation ago by Sega with the Saturn. Nintendo brought out Luigi's Mansion as their launch game instead of their established mascot of Mario. Although I thought Luigi was a better character in Super Mario Brothers 2, he hasn't been given the time of day since then. So why bring him out for launch? Also, I have no idea as to why they came out with a purple console. I think that its fruity appearance turned off many would be launch gamers simply due to its Fisher-Price appearance...especially the controller. Although the controller has several similar qualities when compared to Sony's masterpiece of ergonomic design, the oddly designed buttons just gives me a headache thinking about it. However, bad buttons also plagued the Xbox controller. Even though the design reminded me of an inflated Dreamcast controller, I thought that the buttons were much to small when you compare the size of the controller as a whole. The move to the smaller controller that got released in Japan is a step in the right direction, but there is still room for improvement. Although, the console wars are just really hitting their mark, it will be interesting to see what we will see.

Overall, I think console war debates are fine as long as they are open-minded. Who knows, perhaps in another year we can discuss GBA-SP vs. N-gage?

That's got to be the best perspective on the console war I've ever seen :D .
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Sultan of Saturn wrote:The problem of a console war lies simply upon zealous fanboys. Whenever there are differences in anything in life, there is always a forum for debate, such as: Ford vs. Chevy, Honda vs. Toyota, Coke vs. Pepsi. I have noticed that as time has passed, many of the popular games have gone multi-console instead of serving as exclusives. Granted, GTA games on each system would help each system in sales, but Sony has Rockstar in their pocket. I would have to say that recently, the barrage of "in your face" exclusives hasn't been as aggressive as before, with the exception of 1st party releases. However, another problem with console wars is the fact that Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony do not have the ability to "force" games onto their console. Although Nintendo has changed their youthful face of old from their days on the N64 to one with a young sly smile with a patch stubble with games like BMX XXX, Beach Spikers, MK:DA, and LoK: Blood Omen 2, it still is the most juvenile of the three with more than their share of Disney and Nickelodeon games. Another problem of the console wars is that the releases of games are not always based upon best business practices. Releasing games as exclusives for one system based upon "choice" rather than due to system requirement bottle-necks is rediculous when you can reach more people by releasing a game on all systems. Another issue is the fact that developers sometimes just "fall in love" with just one piece of hardware and neglect other forms of hardware. One such example, when was the last time Hideo Kojima showed any love to a system that wasn't made by Sony? Shall we say the Sega Saturn with the Japanese release of Policenauts? Granted, one might argue MGS2: Substance for Xbox, but their have been obvious complaints that the game wasn't truly optimized for the system and that it was a release simply to capture the US Xbox audience as the Japanese audience on the system has been pathetic. The same argument can be had over Square simply supporting the PS2. Sure, there is...how many games under development for the Gamecube?...1...However, we all know that the GC and Xbox could easily portray a far more stunning version of any Square release for the PS2. Is it necessarily the PS2 fanboy's fault that the majority of the hot games comming out by third party publishers as exclusives fall in their laps? If anything, what I find the most interesting of the console wars isn't really the exclusives but rather the marketing by the hardware sellers themselves. What I find fascinating is the fact that Xbox seized the #2 spot here in the US with their Xbox bundle, but they didn't really push it with a major marketing campaign. If I was Microsoft, I would have put that No Doubt music video that had them playing JSRF along with demos of the games promoting the new bundle, but that is me. Also, of the three players, I think Nintendo has had the best commercials hands down. They were quite original and entertaining, especially at launch. I honestly think that Nintendo was too passive thinking that the #2 spot would fall into their lap simply because of their great first party games, the renewal of 3rd party game support and key exclusives such as the Resident Evil series and Sega's exclusives, but I think the key mistake made by Nintendo is the same mistake made a generation ago by Sega with the Saturn. Nintendo brought out Luigi's Mansion as their launch game instead of their established mascot of Mario. Although I thought Luigi was a better character in Super Mario Brothers 2, he hasn't been given the time of day since then. So why bring him out for launch? Also, I have no idea as to why they came out with a purple console. I think that its fruity appearance turned off many would be launch gamers simply due to its Fisher-Price appearance...especially the controller. Although the controller has several similar qualities when compared to Sony's masterpiece of ergonomic design, the oddly designed buttons just gives me a headache thinking about it. However, bad buttons also plagued the Xbox controller. Even though the design reminded me of an inflated Dreamcast controller, I thought that the buttons were much to small when you compare the size of the controller as a whole. The move to the smaller controller that got released in Japan is a step in the right direction, but there is still room for improvement. Although, the console wars are just really hitting their mark, it will be interesting to see what we will see.

If everyone was as smart as you, I would've never even dreamed of posting this topic. I agree with Az, best opinion on consoles, ever.
Alexkidd187
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Alexkidd187 »

I am hoping nintendo can pull off second place in this war