Check out this review of the Dreamcast(DC's Hidden Features)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Check out this review of the Dreamcast(DC's Hidden Features)

Post by Calavera »

I like the Dreamcast and it has to be one of the most vercitile systems ever made because you can do prettymuch anything with it, including playing DVD's. Thats if you know how to set the system up anyway. All in all, I don't think that anyone appreciates how hot this system really is and even with all the import games that it has!!
I didn't know the Dreamcast could play DVD's.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=294927[/url][/quote]
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
Been thanked: 0

Post by Veggita2099 »

Probably some newb who is watching VCD's on it thinking there VCD's.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Check out this review of the Dreamcast(DC's Hidden Features)

Post by |darc| »

Calavera wrote:
I like the Dreamcast and it has to be one of the most vercitile systems ever made because you can do prettymuch anything with it, including playing DVD's. Thats if you know how to set the system up anyway. All in all, I don't think that anyone appreciates how hot this system really is and even with all the import games that it has!!
I didn't know the Dreamcast could play DVD's.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=294927
Uhh.. yeah the DC can play DVDs. You just need to open it up and change a switch from 6C to 7D near the laser. It then will let you watch DVDs, but the software is buggy and crashes a lot during the movie playback.
It's thinking...
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

|darc| wrote:
Calavera wrote:
I didn't know the Dreamcast could play DVD's.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=294927
Uhh.. yeah the DC can play DVDs. You just need to open it up and change a switch from 6C to 7D near the laser. It then will let you watch DVDs, but the software is buggy and crashes a lot during the movie playback.
is this really true?. and if so could you give a little more detail on how it's done.
Enki-14
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Enki-14 »

And here I was thinking he was watching dvd movies split apart 2-3 SVCD's.. Come on darc. let us know what you know. :twisted:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

zero wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Calavera wrote:
is this really true?. and if so could you give a little more detail on how it's done.
Did you know that if you say "fish" real slow it sounds like "gullible".
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Yea it plays DVD's you have to do the cucumber mod on it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

ok so i take it it doesn't, i thought so anyways, i mean the dc's gd-drive, is just an upgraded cd-drive, or is it a down graded dvd drive, what ever. but ether way it wouldn't be able to play dvd's. it's just the way darc put it. he made it sound so real... ok so a fell dor it, whats the big deal, the is no need to keep going on about it, ok, ok no more, ok i said i fell for it what more to ye want from me. funny i think i may be going mad :o .
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Uh... I wasn't joking. I'll put up some pictures later.
It's thinking...
GoldbergWWE
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by GoldbergWWE »

When you are buying a PS2 you are basically buying a dreamcast that plays DVD's
Was what the bloke said.. he is refering to a Playstation 2 being a souped up Dreamcast that plays DVDs.. not that the draemcast plays DVDs.

Written properly it makes more sense:

When you are buying a PS2, you are basically buying a dreamcast that plays DVD's.

-G
Telling you what you need to know before you know you need to know it.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Veggita2099 wrote:Yea it plays DVD's you have to do the cucumber mod on it.
lol...:red)
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

LMAO
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Darc are you joking are telling the truth?? With you no one can tell.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

lol, no darc :)
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Dreamcast was originally gonna have DVD capabilties, but at the time DVD technology was just too exspensive.

It sure would be awsome though! <<drools>>
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

Darc, modding a GD laser to read that intenesly would surly break it and you'd still need software if it was ever at all possable to mod it to that intesity. Your talking out your ass man.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

No shlt Cless.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

:)
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ok, this only works on SOME EARLY JAPANESE models... Luckily a friend I know from school has one, and I could take pics of it.

The DC was going to have a DVD drive in the beginning... but they canned that idea, and went for a GD-ROM drive with small DVD-reading capabilities... It wouldn't be able to do everything a normal DVD drive could, but it COULD read movie DVDs. The produced a few GD-ROM units with the DVD capability in it, but it was eventually canned for a no-DVD reading GD-ROM drive. Forseeing this, when they first made the DVD GD-ROMs, they made switchs on the units to turn DVD off in case they did can it. Since they already had quite a few units with DVD-capabilties on them, they just put the DVD units in some of the early Japanese DC units, and had the switch set to OFF.

Most of the Japanese systems have the DVD playback software except the late ones. However, they don't have the drive of course, making it useless.

Around the area I have in white (you can't see it very well in the pic) there will be a tiny switch. Use something with a small point to flick the switch from 6C to 7D. Place a DVD in the drive and boot (it may have to be a japanese region DVD, not sure). It will boot, show the Dreamcast logo and swirl, then it will immediatly play the DVD. There are no fast forward/backwards/etc. functions, however. I'm not even sure if you can operate menus.
It's thinking...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

darc i really hope your kidding and if you are hurry up and say it, cuz some n00b may open his dc tryign to fuck around with it to make it play dvd's and fuck it up.