New GFX card time!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Wagh
Wagh
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wagh »

darc why are ya scared of amd now? seriously.. that video is only if extreme things happen. Just as long as the sink is secure none of that will happen...
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Im goin 2 get a GeForce 4 soon, since I just got a new setup after my old MB packin and had an ONBOARD GFX CARD :cry: . And...Since I also need a PCI one for now.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
theultimatechuff
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by theultimatechuff »

Yeah its a piece of piss, i have had 3 of those elite boards with no problems all using heatsink-fans with the normal square bit of thermal paste you get on the bottom - no probs so far.

Any configuration questions post here - its pretty much plug and play though. Currently a 1700+ but used to have Duron 1GHz, also built one with 1600+.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Random_Troll wrote:darc why are ya scared of amd now? seriously.. that video is only if extreme things happen. Just as long as the sink is secure none of that will happen...
Well reading up on everything I'm not really scared of it now that I know about it, but I think I'm going to go Intel anyway.

I can't wait until christmas to get all of this stuff!
It's thinking...
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Would this card be alright for me ?

Geforce 4

Is there any particular spec's I need ? Never installed a GFX card before...Freakin Broken MB with onboard card damn you!
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

perry2175 wrote:Would this card be alright for me ?

Geforce 4

Is there any particular spec's I need ? Never installed a GFX card before...Freakin Broken MB with onboard card damn you!
That thing looks freakin huge!

It's PCI so as long as you have one PCI slot open it will work.
They're easy to install. Just open the side of your case, take off the metal strip for the slot, and slide it into the hole. Then screw it in.

By the way, you can install another graphics card instead of using an onboard card. My motherboard has an Intel 810 graphics onboard but I use a PCI ATI Rage 128 card.
It's thinking...
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Yeah but the boards dead, Im using another board. I thnk the old one was also PCI anyway.
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

|darc| wrote:
Random_Troll wrote:darc why are ya scared of amd now? seriously.. that video is only if extreme things happen. Just as long as the sink is secure none of that will happen...
Well reading up on everything I'm not really scared of it now that I know about it, but I think I'm going to go Intel anyway.

I can't wait until christmas to get all of this stuff!
Just keep in mind that Intel chips are going to be much more expensive. An Intel 2 ghz P4 is at least $60-$100 more expensive than a comparative AMD Athlon XP. Pricewatch will confirm this. Though the clock speeds on the Athlons are lower, you'll get better performance out of them in many cases than a higher clocked Intel chip. Pricewatch turned up an XP 2000 to run you about $80, while a P4 2ghz is at the very least $140.

If you're looking to do this under a budget, darc, you might want to go with AMD, afterall. I was able to get my K7S5A and XP 2000+ combo for the same price as what just the Intel 2 ghz chip would have costed me.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Would this be a suitable case/power supply? I like the way it looks and it's got plenty of expansion slots.
Last edited by |darc| on Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

crap... del this post
It's thinking...
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

|darc| wrote:crap... del this post
Why?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MetalGearRay wrote:
|darc| wrote:crap... del this post
Why?
I double posted.
It's thinking...
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

|darc| wrote:Hmm... I'm not sure now...

Would this be a suitable case/power supply? I like the way it looks and it's got plenty of expansion slots.
Should be. If it has more of each type of bay than you have now, and you're not adding new hardware, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

NeonGenesis wrote:
|darc| wrote:Hmm... I'm not sure now...

Should be. If it has more of each type of bay than you have now, and you're not adding new hardware, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be.
Ok, thanks, just making sure.

Since I'll probably be using my birthday and christmas money from my parents and relatives now that I'm making it a bigger project, I think I'll go with the P4. $195 for a 2.2GHz seems suitable for me.
http://www.tufshop.com/store/product865.html

If the case is $35, the processor is $195, that gives me enough money for the mobo when I find a suitable one.

So far - $230 if stick with what I've mentioned above.

Now I just need a mobo. The mobo won't need onboard ethernet or video as I already have an ethernet card and a video card. I'll probably wait on getting a newer graphics card, or maybe I'll steal one from a friend.
It's thinking...
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

Tufshop has shown to be the cheapest when I was looking for my combo, too, but then I read a number of horrid reviews, and looked elsewhere:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1924.html

Also, before you go purchasing the CPU, make sure you know what mobo you are after. If the mobo is for a different socket processor than the P4 you get, you're screwed. Chances are they'll both be Socket 478, but better safe than sorry. If I'm not mistaken, P4's are available in a couple diff socket types, though I may be wrong. I went AMD. :P
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

NeonGenesis wrote:Tufshop has shown to be the cheapest when I was looking for my combo, too, but then I read a number of horrid reviews, and looked elsewhere:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1924.html

Also, before you go purchasing the CPU, make sure you know what mobo you are after. If the mobo is for a different socket processor than the P4 you get, you're screwed. Chances are they'll both be Socket 478, but better safe than sorry. If I'm not mistaken, P4's are available in a couple diff socket types, though I may be wrong. I went AMD. :P
I'm glad you told me about TUFShop. Even if TUFShop would've been excellent, I've found a better deal.
2.4GHz for $198 at GoogleGear

So now I'm at $233.
It's thinking...
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

GoogleGear seems much more respectable, too. Always good to check this site:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1991.html
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

NeonGenesis wrote:GoogleGear seems much more respectable, too. Always good to check this site:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1991.html
That sounds good to me!

Is this motherboard good? GoogleGear has one for $55. It seems to me from the specs it would work with the case and P4 I mentioned above.
It's thinking...
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

As far as I can tell, yeah, that should do just fine. Being the P4S5A, it appears to be the Pentium version of the K7S5A (duh... K7 is Athlon XP, P4 is a Pentium 4). Might want to get some second opinions, as I am not that familiar with Intel boards, but it looks good to me. The 2 SDR/ 2 DDR slots should be a plus, so you could upgrade RAM later if you so desired, it has plenty of PCI slots, oboard sound and LAN, should you need them for any reason, and a 4x AGP slot. So, as I said, looks good to me.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

And I would have to get some of this, right? The P4 comes with a heatsink and fan so I don't have to get that.

Assuming I'm going to get all of this, it would turn out to be $300, which I beleive is worth it.
It's thinking...