Asking for help to save our home

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Asking for help to save our home

Post by mankrip »

Things have been extremely difficult since last year, and now I'm having to turn to everyone I know to ask for help.

This week I've released the engine I've been working on for the last years: Graphical breakthroughs in the Retroquad engine. As explained in the article, my life is reaching a dead end and I don't see myself being able to keep going.

I've created a donation campaign to raise some funds to try to overcome at least the most urgent problems. If anyone can help and share it, it will be very appreciated.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Asking for help to save our home

Post by cube_b3 »

Hey man,
I know the feeling, I am glad you have a wife that believes in you.
I'll contribute what I can when I get paid towards the end of the month.
I'll also share with a few friends. Have faith, don't give up.

Btw, the lady in the middle is your sister who just had surgery?
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Hang in there!
Sounds like you got really screwed, but I'm glad to hear you have someone there with you. In times of absolute shit, that can make all the difference in the world.

Hopefully you can get some traction on this. If you are registered over at DCtalk, I'd say try posting there too. This place is pretty much a ghost town, and the DCtalk community is pretty respectful and appreciative of DC devs.

I wish you the best, and thanks for all your contributions over the years to the scene.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

cube_b3 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:43 pm Hey man,
I know the feeling, I am glad you have a wife that believes in you.
I'll contribute what I can when I get paid towards the end of the month.
I'll also share with a few friends. Have faith, don't give up.

Btw, the lady in the middle is your sister who just had surgery?
Thanks. She's our daughter.
Nico0020 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:27 am Hang in there!
Sounds like you got really screwed, but I'm glad to hear you have someone there with you. In times of absolute shit, that can make all the difference in the world.

Hopefully you can get some traction on this. If you are registered over at DCtalk, I'd say try posting there too. This place is pretty much a ghost town, and the DCtalk community is pretty respectful and appreciative of DC devs.

I wish you the best, and thanks for all your contributions over the years to the scene.
Thanks. Good idea, I had forgotten about DC-Talk.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

As a thank you to everyone who's been helping us, I've released some Fightoon betas:
https://twitter.com/mankrip/status/1316494365158768646
fightoon.png
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I had forgotten all about Fightoon! I was looking forward to that so much way back when. Thanks for releasing this stuff!
I hope my contribution helps
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I am getting an error on the website. @Darc I am messaging you on FB.

Edit: PayPal works.

You got a beautiful family man, stay strong.
Best of luck.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

I'm around and about (the net) for the next few days, PM me.
Across the Universe
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I'll kick in what I can and I'll spread it around to hopefully get some more traction going. Hopefully, you'll be able to reach your goal sooner rather than later.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Any progress with things?
Across the Universe
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Really hope everything is fine, buddy.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DCDayDreamer wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:13 am Any progress with things?
I closed the donation campaign because we reached a point where I didn't need to sell the house anymore, but life still is very difficult and I've tried to commit suicide last year. The car is still broken, and I'm still in a lot of debt despite managing to renegotiate some of it with help from people in Twitter.

After stopping the donation campaign, I opened a Patreon to finance development of my game engine, Retroquad (latest public release here). Anyway, it's incredibly hard to code when I already have a full time job. Which is a night shift job btw, which means every other night I'm not at home for my family. And during daytime, it's often impossible to code anything because my house gets extremely hot during summer (around 35°C), triggering crippling headaches in my head. This means that in most days the only times for me to code are during the night and in the morning, and due to this I can't spend time with my family. During the day my wife spends the whole day out at her job, over 11 hours per day including the bus rides. I also do most of the housekeeping while she's at her job, and do all the other stuff that needs to be done. My time management is chaotic and on top of everything, I'm having difficult controlling my depression.

I'm overweight and fucked up my knees doing 28Km bike rides to work everyday to save money. Also had acute hemorroids last year because of this. Now I can't ride my bike to work anymore and can't walk more than a few hundred meters without feeling pain. This forces me to have a more sedentary lifestyle which lowers my metabolism, and this makes the depression a lot worse. Every day I wonder how much time I have left before becoming completely unable to walk.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the summer to finally end here in Brazil, so I can get rid of the headaches and develop Retroquad at a faster pace. I simply can't live without it; my salary is entirely consumed by debt. I'm working to get Retroquad developed enough to release a game using it, and hopefully improve things more.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I am sorry to hear you are still struggling, hang in there.
I understand your frustrations with Falco even more now.
It is great that you are pushing the game out to support yourself.

Please share your PayPal. I can send you something when i get paid on the 15th.
Think of it as a preorder, I try to keep my expenses under control and not sign up to recurring payments on Patreon. So I'll just send you like a $100 if that's cool?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Thanks a lot Bilal, I'll dm you my PayPal address.

All of this started over 2 years ago, and it will still take another 6 years for me to fully pay my debts, with the earliest one ending in 5 years.
I'm working to create a game because there's a chance it could take less time than that. Fingers crossed.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

My time and finances are pretty much tied up at the moment, mainly due to someone who is suffering from the worst case of small man syndrome that has ever been recorded throughout history, resulting in the displacement of 5.5 million people, and trying to drag the entire human race back into the early years of the 20th century.

However, as Bilal said...

Hang in there.

I still have your PayPal address from a couple of years ago, if it has changed send me the new address via PM, can't promise when I'll be able to get back to you, but I will.
Across the Universe
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DCDayDreamer wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:33 pm My time and finances are pretty much tied up at the moment, mainly due to someone who is suffering from the worst case of small man syndrome that has ever been recorded throughout history, resulting in the displacement of 5.5 million people, and trying to drag the entire human race back into the early years of the 20th century.

However, as Bilal said...

Hang in there.

I still have your PayPal address from a couple of years ago, if it has changed send me the new address via PM, can't promise when I'll be able to get back to you, but I will.
Yes, it's still the same.

But I don't remember it, are you from UA? If you're in need because of the situation there, don't worry about me.
I know good people from RU are also having problems because of it.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Lots of positivity here.

@DCDD nice to see while things are not perfect anywhere, we can all relate to each other and come through where it counts!

I wanted to upload a gif but can't find that image upload button anymore.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

mankrip wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:47 pm I'm overweight and fucked up my knees doing 28Km bike rides to work everyday to save money. Also had acute hemorroids last year because of this. Now I can't ride my bike to work anymore and can't walk more than a few hundred meters without feeling pain. This forces me to have a more sedentary lifestyle which lowers my metabolism, and this makes the depression a lot worse. Every day I wonder how much time I have left before becoming completely unable to walk.
I switched to whole foods plant based vegan diet seven years ago due to VERY similar health problems. - I urge you to give it a try for 14 - 21 days to see if it helps. Avoid ALL animal products and fatty foods: no meat, no milk, no cheese, no eggs, no oil. Only plant foods like potatoes, rice, pasta, beans, bread, muesli with oat or soy milk, fruits and vegetables. Very simple to understand and to follow but It did absolute wonders to my health, especially my knees, back, heart, digestion, hemorrhoids, kidney stones, body fat, overall fatigue and even depressions. I feel like a teenager again, it's incredible!

---> only the German dub is available on YT, switch to English subtitles ^

Insane homebrew collector.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Please don't do that. Vegan diets are largely unsustainable. You'll feel GREAT at first after eliminating terrible typical Western diet foods, but nutrient deficiencies will catch up with you after a year or so and you'll start to fall apart. This is an extremely common pattern, just talk to ex-vegans.

And I've seen that documentary, it's completely laughable.

(That being said, I eat primarily animal products, but ethically sourced, properly raised with nutrition consistent with their nature, primarily local, etc.)
It's thinking...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Everyone knows vegetables and fruits are incredibly healthy - until you bring up the word 'vegan'.

As for your meat heavy diet: Remember that you are much younger than Manoel and me. We are both in our 40s. A bad diet takes a long time to catch up with you. My mostly dairy based diet as a vegetarian took almost 20 years to catch up with me.

At 35 I had horrible pain in my joints, especially my back, my knees, and my hands. I couldn't sit nor run. On top of that I had chest pain, suffered from chronic fatigue, bad digestion and hemorrhoids. I wondered if I had to re-introduce meat into my diet. I did some research and found out that it is scientifically known for a long time that animal protein as in dairy or meat do cause arthritis. From what I understand the uric acid ( a byproduct of the metabolic breakdown of animal protein - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid ) is neutralized with calcium from your bones and forms tiny crystals in your joints, slowly destroying your cartilage.
I gave it a try and ditched dairy and it helped immediately. Within weeks my joints stopped hurting and I got my normal life back.

Your body does self-repair and self-healing all the time. You just gotta stop the constant injuries.

I have now been vegan for almost eight years and vegetarian for 25. My blood work is more than excellent. Meat or dairy aren't oxygen, you'll be more than fine without them. It will hurt no one to give it a try for 14 days.

And the science is clear: meat and dairy kill you slowly but surely. The WHO has classified meat as a carcinogen in 2015:
https://www.who.int/news-room/questions ... essed-meat

I eat a varied plant based diet with a focus on normal cooked plant foods and starch such as potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, muesli, etc., not just fruits or raw uncooked vegetables such as the Ex-vegans you mentioned. - From my observation most if not all Ex-vegans were fruitarians or raw foodists, neither of which provides enough calories and will lead to deficiencies in the long term as you described. Humans are used to cooking with fire for at least a million years, before modern humans even existed. Cooking vegetables saves on time digesting your food and thus frees up calories.

Remember that the word "vegan" only describes what you are not eating, not what you should be eating. Some vegans consume soda, candy and fried foods, others limit themselves to only fruits or uncooked vegetables. The secret is a varied whole foods starch based diet with fruits and vegetables and limited or no oil intake.

As for your claim that "you'll be healthy at first", this guy was mentally and physically fit until he died at 105 years old:

Fat and cholesterol will clog up your arteries and cause heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, impotence and dementia, which is why Bill Clinton switched to a plant based diet:
Insane homebrew collector.