Internet speed question

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Internet speed question

Post by ASCIIN » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:11 am

'ello gents, long time no see

I just got new broadband through charter which claims to be 60mbs installed today.
I choose to still use my motorolla SBG 941 but I've run a snagfu; every time I do a speed test it caps out at 18.89mbs.
I asked the technician to take a look at it but he told me its because i have a 2.0 router and I would need a 3.0 router to get the 60mbs.

Is this true or is this guy just trying to blow me off?
<WiLdSeXyPrInCeSs> i luv guyz where would they be wifout us gals???
<XeNoX> Still in the Garden Of Eden you gullible bitch.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Internet speed question

Post by DaMadFiddler » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 am

Here's a fairly extensive Ars Technica thread on the subject from a few years ago:

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1159955

I can't really provide much additional insight, but it does sound like a DOCSIS 2.0 modem is the culprit.

We have 60 Mbps Comcast cable, and when we bought a modem (you have to do it on your own these days; the cable company doesn't sell modems any more, as they'd much prefer to charge you a monthly rental fee), the literature was very specific about making sure you get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for proper service and support.

We just went through the list of supported models until we found the one that was cheapest.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Yes, you need DOCSIS 3.0
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:57 am

Has Comcast launched a campaign for this to get people to upgrade? I get a phone call and an letter every week about how my modem is unsupported but none of the people on the phone can describe to me what specifically is unsupported. I have the cheapest plan through them and I can online game with no lag and watch 1080p Netflix with very little buffering time so I feel like there is no need for me to upgrade since I'm the only person on my network aside from visitors.

EDIT> I don't have quite the cheapest comcast connection, I have Performance which offers 25Mbps and confirmed my modem is DOCSIS 2. Now I know why my issue is and why I could never reach advertised speeds.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by |darc| » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Yep, gotta get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, they aren't bullshittin' ya.
It's thinking...