Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Post by BlueCrab »

Of course, it's fairly easy to mock impressive things up in a 3D modeling program. Much easier than, say, actually making a real product. :wink:

Getting caught up in all the various mockups that designers put out as to what they'd do for an iPhone is kinda silly in the end. Designers tend to dream up all kinds of things that look really neat on paper, but wouldn't work in the real world.

Back to the subject of the topic though... I'm interested to see if NFC-based payments will take off a bit more now that Apple is in the game. I have a coworker that uses his Android-based device to do NFC payments, but very few places around actually have NFC as an option. I could see Apple getting into the game as the biggest boost that Google could've hoped for in pushing NFC payments, in all honesty. Perhaps by the time I end up needing a new phone NFC will actually be useful for payments. It'd certainly be nice to be able to eliminate the need to carry around physical debit cards and the like.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:Did you see the video?

They had the screen extend under the speaker and home button.
As well as the sides of the phone.

I loved it.

This one is pretty good but I am not a fan of the touch screen over kill. I like the buttons.
The battery charged led is a good idea though reminds me of the crazy things that we had at devcast.
Concept videos contain things that seem cool in theory but are terrible in practice. That design is so fucking unrealistic and pointless.

It would introduce so many problems. And it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It simply looks cool.

How would a case work? Most cases have to have a slight lip over the phone in order to grasp it, a completely bezel-less display would be covered by the case. Any case that has a display on the side (wtf?) would be covered by a case as well.

The buttons on the side of the phone need to be tactile. I don't ever look at my phone when I adjust the volume or switch vibe on/off, and the majority of the time I do this I put my hand into my pocket and do it. With this design I can't even figure out which way the phone is oriented in my pocket without fingering around the entire phone first.

Stupid and pointless.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

I'm buying this phone. I can't get away from Android fast enough, and I am fully willing to drop the $750 necessary to buy the 64gb version outright.
Wagh
Wagh
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wagh »

Doesn't look like much changed. A bigger screen... and an even bigger screen. I guess the innovation team is working over night now there at Apple to turn out these never done before ideas. I will say NFC is nice to see and spot on for putting it in the watch, even if the watch misses the point of a smart watch. That said, I've had NFC payments for a couple years now. It works great and as BlueCrab mentioned, maybe this will be the impetus for retailers to start using it more.

I think the Apple Watch is where Apple is really starting to show that Jobs is gone. I don't think he would've let it get to what it is. Apple really seems to have missed the point of this kind of device. I don't need picto grams, I need a passive information device. Also square screen? Really? The watch is locked to iDevices anyways so it's not like I will end up using it.

I wonder how Apple will look 5 years from now. The annual slight upgrade will not bode well for investors for long. They've got to put out something new or at least show that they can.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

|darc| wrote:
cube_b3 wrote:Did you see the video?

They had the screen extend under the speaker and home button.
As well as the sides of the phone.

I loved it.

This one is pretty good but I am not a fan of the touch screen over kill. I like the buttons.
The battery charged led is a good idea though reminds me of the crazy things that we had at devcast.
Concept videos contain things that seem cool in theory but are terrible in practice. That design is so fucking unrealistic and pointless.

It would introduce so many problems. And it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It simply looks cool.

How would a case work? Most cases have to have a slight lip over the phone in order to grasp it, a completely bezel-less display would be covered by the case. Any case that has a display on the side (wtf?) would be covered by a case as well.

The buttons on the side of the phone need to be tactile. I don't ever look at my phone when I adjust the volume or switch vibe on/off, and the majority of the time I do this I put my hand into my pocket and do it. With this design I can't even figure out which way the phone is oriented in my pocket without fingering around the entire phone first.

Stupid and pointless.
1) The whole idea of a case is BS. Xperia doesn't need a case anymore because it is shock, scratch and water resistant/proof. I think if Sony has done it Apple can catch up as well.
2) All buttons should be tactile. I agree with you on that.
3) We are talking about Apple products let's not discuss if it is is stupid and pointless.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:1) The whole idea of a case is BS. Xperia doesn't need a case anymore because it is shock, scratch and water resistant/proof. I think if Sony has done it Apple can catch up as well.
This is silly. For one, cases are used for personalization just as much as protection. I've seen the shock tests on the Xperia, it's a rugged phone for sure but to claim that it is "scratch and shock proof" is asinine. It definitely can be broken and scratched.

Aside from that the big thing that makes the Xperia so rugged is its heavy duty metal chassis that wraps around the edges. You know, the chassis you're demanding Apple to replace with fragile glass screens.

http://www.androidauthority.com/xperia- ... st-388498/
Android Authority wrote:The Xperia Z2 is an extremely durable device, and, when you consider it’s also resistant to water and dust, it becomes a solid option for those looking for a rugged smartphone. However, that pristine aluminum on the sides is a bit sensitive, so we do recommend wrapping the Xperia Z2 in a quality case.
The glass didn't shatter from drops but it did force some pixels to die.
cube_b3 wrote:3) We are talking about Apple products let's not discuss if it is is stupid and pointless.
Are you 14?
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Okay fine, let's leave side to side. Can I atleast have edge to edge?
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

cube_b3 wrote:Okay fine, let's leave side to side. Can I atleast have edge to edge?

Edge to edge already exists for at least one Android phone. I'm sure the Apple fans will say it's impossible for Apple and a stupid idea etc.
Giving H-E-A-D head
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Madureira's E2E design had the screen extending below the button and speaker so it is way cooler then that sharp phone.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I can almost hear Jony Ive saying it in the next video. "By replacing everything that isn't a screen, with more screen, we've made our latest iPhone way cooler"
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Wagh wrote:I think the Apple Watch is where Apple is really starting to show that Jobs is gone. I don't think he would've let it get to what it is. Apple really seems to have missed the point of this kind of device. I don't need picto grams, I need a passive information device. Also square screen? Really? The watch is locked to iDevices anyways so it's not like I will end up using it.
Pretty much this. Apple still makes some of the best phones and laptops around (not to mention how badly OSX spanks Windows in terms of user experience), and that should be plenty to keep the company going, but it's looking more and more like their days as a transformative force are over. I'm not going to lie: I am very tempted by the new iPhone, and I'd probably be picking one up if I hadn't just bought my 5 a little over a year ago. But the watch was just... confusing. I kept waiting for the bombshell announcement, the feature or scenario that would make it all make sense, that would make it seem indispensable, at least for a certain lifestyle. And it never came. I was skeptical of the iPad's ability to generate consumer demand, but I could at least see where people might fit it into their lives if they wanted to drop the money on a new toy. The Apple Watch just seems pointless. And by making it *require* the iPhone, they can't open up any new markets the way they did with the iPhone and the iPad; they can only sell to their existing customers. It was the first launch of a new Apple product line in the post-Jobs era, and it was the first launch of a new Apple product since the '90s where it didn't feel like there was any specific point or driving goal behind the thing. The only appeal I can see it having is as an NFC upgrade for iPhone 5/5S users who don't want to trade in their phones, and that's not an especially compelling case to make right now.
Specially Cork wrote:I can almost hear Jony Ive saying it in the next video. "By replacing everything that isn't a screen, with more screen, we've made our latest iPhone way cooler"
He does good work, but I really hate seeing him present things. He always strikes me as incredibly arrogant and self-important--the old stereotype of the self-aborbed artist too caught up in the glory of his own work.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I think he is a solid orator.
I watched the iPhone and iWatch trailer with his narration, it sounded pretty solid.
Then I watched about 20 minutes of the keynote speech with random presenters and it felt weak.

I think the man has selling power.

I've not paid enough attention to determine his arrogance.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

They're interesting from the perspective that it's nice to see the thought process and stuff behind the products, but the hyperbole and boasting is just off the charts and ridiculous. I just laugh my ass off when the Ive videos roll because I know all the Android fanboys are getting so mad
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I guess when you're sat in the boardroom, trying to justify your six or seven figure salary with a three-buttoned rectangle you have to think of something interesting to say.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I don't know about the mad part my younger brother who is desperately trying to talk me out of Apple just took me to GSM arena and showed me camera comparisons. He does seem like an Android fan boy though cause he hates Apple.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Here's a bit of a review roundup.

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/17/iphone-6 ... w-roundup/

If I hadn't just gotten my 5 a bit over a year ago, or if I weren't planning (A) a wedding in a month and (B) a new computer by the end of the year, I'd probably be getting one.

The only thing I really wish they'd done differently is to stop obsessing with making the ZOMG THINNEST DEVICE EVAR and use some of that space to put in a nice, beefy battery.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I didn't read anything but the pictures look nice.

Would've been better if they were contrasted with the competition as it stands iPhone cameras are not really winning in competition with other cameras.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

cube_b3 wrote:I didn't read anything but the pictures look nice.
cube_b3 wrote:Would've been better if they were contrasted with the competition as it stands iPhone cameras are not really winning in competition with other cameras.
The Verge wrote:The iPhone 6 Plus camera is the best smartphone camera I’ve ever used. Apple’s holding firm at 8 megapixels while everyone else is racing to put ever-bigger numbers on spec sheets, and it feels like the right decision: the iPhone 6 Plus focuses faster, works better in low light, and generally produces the best photos I’ve ever seen from a phone.

The 6 Plus has the same basic shooter as the iPhone 6, but it adds optical image stabilization to the mix, which improves low-light performance even more. It’s not going to help you when you’re shooting anything that moves, like people, but for sunsets and skylines, it’s clutch. It basically lets the camera hold the shutter open a little bit longer than it otherwise could without causing a blurry image, so more light hits the sensor. If you’re like me and you mostly find yourself taking photos at dusk and in dark rooms, you’ll end up with many more usable shots.

The iOS 8 Camera app is also much improved; I love the feature that lets you instantly adjust exposure by dragging up and down on the screen. And the new time-lapse and 240 fps slow-mo modes are pretty fun — slow-mo works really well, and while the time-lapse mode isn’t quite as good as Instagram’s Hyperlapse app, it’s still pretty good. There’s also a new feature called "cinematic stabilization" that does an impressive job of smoothing out unwanted motion in video clips; it’s strong enough to make a meaningful difference but subtle enough that you won’t notice the effect until you’re looking for it.

It’s also easier to take photos and videos with a huge screen helping you frame your shots. No wonder people insist on using their tablets to take photos; having a screen this large paired with such an excellent camera is revelatory. The iPhone has long had a better camera than just about any Android phone, and it’s always had a better ecosystem of editing and sharing apps than any other platform. The iPhone 6 Plus should just increase that lead.

I’m going to buy an iPhone 6 Plus. I’m taken with it; it feels like an entirely new kind of device for Apple, and it has such a killer camera I can’t say no.
Yahoo Tech wrote:[title of David Pogue's review]iPhone 6 Is a Thin, Sexy Phone with a Killer Camera
Engadget wrote:[NOTE: Engadget also has a bunch of comparison shots]While the megapixel war rages on among manufacturers like Sony, Samsung, LG and Microsoft Devices (Nokia), Apple doesn't seem to feel compelled to join the fray. Instead, it's sticking with a modest 8MP iSight camera similar to the one found n the 5s. Although the aperture and pixel size haven't changed, Apple's added "Focus Pixels," which is the company's fancy term for Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF). The tech is used in many DSLRs and phones like the Galaxy S5, and the idea is to lock autofocus faster. Fortunately, Focus Pixels doesn't disappoint; in several side-by-side shots in which my goal was to snap a photo as quickly as possible, the 6 and 6 Plus did considerably better at producing focused images.

In case you need extra perks for going with the larger device, the Plus comes with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS). This feature is designed to reduce the amount of blur that can come from the natural shaking of your hand, and it produces better low-light performance and less shaky video as a result. I took several nighttime shots with the 6 and 6 Plus side by side, and although there was no difference in how much light the cameras took in, the images from the Plus consistently came out sharper -- both when viewing at standard size and especially when zoomed in.

I also pitted the Plus head to head against several other flagships. It bested the HTC One M8 in sharpness and white balance, though it didn't get quite as much light; it had more natural colors and less noise than the LG G3; it got more light, better colors and clearer focus than the Galaxy S5; and although the Lumia 1020 brought in the most light, it also did so at the expense of unnatural colors and noise.

So the iPhone 6 Plus held its own against nearly every major flagship in terms of low-light images, but how did it (and its 4.7-inch twin) fare in the daylight? Shots taken by the Lumia 1020 were far more detailed and had a slightly more accurate white balance and color representation outside; but while it did a fantastic job capturing the shadows, the highlights were typically more blown out than they were on the iPhone. The GS5 is a respectable contender in the daylight as well, offering more detail, but the iPhone generally produced more accurate colors. The G3 appears to be overexposed by default and the dynamic range is not as wide, so shadows are incredibly dark and whites are slightly blown out. Finally, the iPhone bested the HTC One in dynamic range, detail and color.

The iPhone camera may not always be the best in every circumstance, but it's consistently near the top in almost every scenario. The autofocus locks quickly; each shot contains all of the detail you'll need (unless you have to zoom in incredibly far); dynamic range is great; and color representation is sound.
These are the camera sections of the reviews linked in that review roundup. Notably, Ars Technica hasn't posted its iPhone 6 review yet, and they tend to be the most thorough when it comes to this sort of thing. But so far, it sounds like you've got nothing to worry about in terms of camera quality.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Looks like we've got "bend-ghazi" going on now with iPhone users finding out metal phones aren't all they are cracked up to be. Also some signs that iOS 8 is causing cell signal and wifi issues which is reminiscent of "antenna-gate". Honestly, I don't think the bending phone thing is that big of a deal. It's made of cheap metal, of course it's going to bend. My iPad 2 looks like shit from all the dents its accumulated. It's one of the main reasons I wouldn't dare consider getting a metal phone, iOS or Android.

The iOS 8 signal issues have been affecting me on my iPad. My speeds have gone from ~2mbps to 50kbps. It's a pretty noticeable drop. I thought this thing was in beta for months and months. Apple's greatly harolded preview program seems to have missed the most obvious error.

Other than that iOS 8 is okay. The only thing I dislike more than the massive bandwidth drop is the safari address bar auto hiding taking back buttons with it ( wtf ).
Giving H-E-A-D head