Cd's vs DVD

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Cd's vs DVD

Post by cube_b3 »

So I just bought a new Laptop as we all talked about.
I went with E Series SONY VAIO i5 2.60 Ghz, 6 GB Ram, 750 GB Hard Disk.

Got it for 560$ After tax from Best Buy. It was for 700 something but it was the display unit so it was cheaper.

It came with Windows 8. Graphically it is a step down from Windows 7 and XP as well. Windows XP made the borders of every window look cool. The minimize, restore down, and close buttons were larger and embossed. Windows 7 came and introduced transparency allowing you to see what ever was open in the background through the edge of an open window. Those features are gone and over all colors have been reduced looks like back to 98 level graphics.

Anyway I got my Laptop with an Anti Virus DVD Kasperserv or something.
What was funny was that the antivirus took less then 500MB of disk space.

Why not have it on a CD?

I just realized that CD's are losing out to DVD's and I am wondering why?
If a software needs less then 700 Mb shouldn't it still come on a CD.

After all a DVD Rom can read a CD, but not vice versa.
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cd's vs DVD

Post by RyoDC »

Software yes, but what about video?
It requires much more data, then one Cd can handle.
Before the DVD there were even perverted formats like VCD, where you had a need to a switch a CD after a watching half of a movie.
Also, some software, requires much more space then 700MB. Take a look at 3ds max for example.
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Has thanked: 0

Post by Skynet »

RyoDC wrote:Software yes, but what about video?
It requires much more data, then one Cd can handle.
Before the DVD there were even perverted formats like VCD, where you had a need to a switch a CD after a watching half of a movie.
Also, some software, requires much more space then 700MB. Take a look at 3ds max for example.
I think he's talking about for software smaller than 700MB.

It's probably just cheaper on overall production costs to buy all DVDs rather than having a mixture of DVD and CD. And honestly, except for music, do we really need to be hanging on to CDs anymore?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

It's been about 2 years since I put a CD or a DVD in my computer, pretty sure disk drives are redundant for 3/4 of people at this point.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I work from home doing remote computer support. I am employed by Geek Squad. Our agreement with Kaspersky is that we do support for the licenses of Kasperksy that are sold by Best Buy.

When I used to work for Geek Squad at a Best Buy store, in the year and a half I worked there I witnessed maybe one or two computers that had just a CD drive. Neither of them met the minimum requirements to run Kaspersky.

My assumption is pretty much the same as Skynet's. Data DVD production is probably much much higher than data CD production at this point. Because of this, I would not be surprised if it were just cheaper to have DVDs pressed instead of CDs.

The software is also available to download at kaspersky.com/bestbuydownloads for our clients who do not have an optical drive. A lot of people just have us install it for them, though. That is, they go to GeekSquad.com, chat with one of our agents, give us their phone number, and we look up their serial number, remote in using LogMeIn Rescue, download the software, and configure it for them. That service is free as long as they have an active license.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Hmmm... I thought CD's were cheaper.

I pop in an occasional disk mostly CD's in my computer (cause they are console games like Dreamcast or Saturn).

Oh on a bit of side note.
One stupid thing I did right after buying my computer, I had a 30 day trial with Kaspersky and I just punched in the serial immediately.
Right after doing it I YELLED FUCK!!! Shoud have waited 29 days!

Darc can you hook me up with a serial key for word :P
MS Office should have a light edition that just has Word, Powerpoint and maybe Excel.
It is so expensive, I mean in this day and age I can just edit documents online and have all of the features of Word.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

cube_b3 wrote:Hmmm... I thought CD's were cheaper.
They very well could be. But if you need to split costs between CD and DVD, it may end up more expensive. The money they save on buying CDs vs DVDs, assuming CDs are cheaper, could be offset by buying a larger number of DVDs instead. If a company orders x amount of DVDs, they'd probably get a discount of a certain percentage. Whereas if they ordered let's say a 1/4 of their order as CD and 3/4 of their order as DVD, they may end up with a lesser discount on the amount of DVDs they buy, if any at all.

It could very well come down to buying in bulk as the reason DVDs are used.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I pop in an occasional disk mostly CD's in my computer (cause they are console games like Dreamcast or Saturn).

Oh on a bit of side note.
One stupid thing I did right after buying my computer, I had a 30 day trial with Kaspersky and I just punched in the serial immediately.

Darc can you hook me up with a serial key for word :P
MS Office should have a light edition that just has Word, Powerpoint and maybe Excel.
It is so expensive, I mean in this day and age I can just edit documents online and have all of the features of Word.
If you're just doing simple stuff go with an open-source alternative like LibreOffice or OpenOffice.
I just...absolutely hate the UI in both of them.

If you really want MS you can try their web-apps
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps/ which are free
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Windows versions are like Star Trek movies: every other one is decent.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Whatever is manufactured in larger numbers is going to be the cheapest; CDs traditionally are the cheapest but that might have changed. CD-Rs are usually cheaper than DVD-Rs, but that's because CD-Rs are burned much more often (music CDs are likely still the largest reason people burn stuff). But for actually pressing/manufacturing data discs, DVD-ROMs are most likely manufactured in far more numbers nowadays.
cube_b3 wrote:One stupid thing I did right after buying my computer, I had a 30 day trial with Kaspersky and I just punched in the serial immediately.
The clock starts ticking on the bundled Kaspersky when it's rung out. They scan the barcode then scan the unique serial number. If they don't ring it out the serial won't work, so nobody can steal a copy. Then the serial number is activated and begins counting down.
cube_b3 wrote:Darc can you hook me up with a serial key for word :P
As others said, you really should use OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice. It is very rare for me to have a real reason to need the actual Office suite.

Personally, I think Microsoft Office is cheap, but that's only because Microsoft sold me a copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, Access, Publisher, InfoPath, and Lync) for $9.95 through their Home Use Program because they want me to be familiar with it in order to support and sell it. :P But I only get one copy and unfortunately I can't share it.
It's thinking...