Raspberry Pi

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Raspberry Pi

Post by BlueCrab »

Anyone else around here have one? I'm still pondering what I'm going to do with mine exactly, so I'm looking for any good ideas.

Other than building a case for it out of Legos... I've already done that:
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by pixel »

I've thought about using one for bittorrent and media storage. But I might get a powerful router for that instead.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BlueCrab wrote:Anyone else around here have one? I'm still pondering what I'm going to do with mine exactly, so I'm looking for any good ideas.
Get a USB modem and see if you can set up a PC-DC dialup server.
It's thinking...
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Skynet »

I have 2. One runs XBMC in my bedroom for if I feel like streaming stuff while in bed as my computer is in a different room.

The other one I don't do too much with. There was a mod I saw online where a dude put it into a keyboard (not the Ben Heck one) and that's what I want to do eventually. I'll load it up with emulators from SNES/Mega Drive then everything below it. I loved the Amiga back in the day, so I was going to make it like an Amiga in an updated keyboard. Still yet to find a keyboard it will fit into for a decent price.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

|darc| wrote:Get a USB modem and see if you can set up a PC-DC dialup server.
There's really no reason it wouldn't, as long as the modem itself works with Linux. I'd do this, but I really have no reason to spend the money when I could just as easily use my old Mac Mini for that purpose if I wanted a dialup server for my DC.
Skynet wrote:I have 2. One runs XBMC in my bedroom for if I feel like streaming stuff while in bed as my computer is in a different room.
I was thinking of possibly using it for media-related stuff, but pretty much everything I have these days is 10-bit H.264, which there's no way the Raspberry Pi will have the horsepower to decode in real-time (and since it is 10-bit color, not 8-bit, the hardware decode won't help). I could re-encode everything, but I'd imagine it probably isn't worth it, since I can just plug my laptop into any of my TVs anyway.
The other one I don't do too much with. There was a mod I saw online where a dude put it into a keyboard (not the Ben Heck one) and that's what I want to do eventually. I'll load it up with emulators from SNES/Mega Drive then everything below it. I loved the Amiga back in the day, so I was going to make it like an Amiga in an updated keyboard. Still yet to find a keyboard it will fit into for a decent price.
That could be interesting. I dunno if I could see myself doing that, but it would be neat certainly.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

BlueCrab wrote:
|darc| wrote:Get a USB modem and see if you can set up a PC-DC dialup server.
There's really no reason it wouldn't, as long as the modem itself works with Linux. I'd do this, but I really have no reason to spend the money when I could just as easily use my old Mac Mini for that purpose if I wanted a dialup server for my DC.
Skynet wrote:I have 2. One runs XBMC in my bedroom for if I feel like streaming stuff while in bed as my computer is in a different room.
I was thinking of possibly using it for media-related stuff, but pretty much everything I have these days is 10-bit H.264, which there's no way the Raspberry Pi will have the horsepower to decode in real-time (and since it is 10-bit color, not 8-bit, the hardware decode won't help). I could re-encode everything, but I'd imagine it probably isn't worth it, since I can just plug my laptop into any of my TVs anyway.
That could be interesting. I dunno if I could see myself doing that, but it would be neat certainly.
All I know is it plays my 1080p videos just fine and I have a few that are a few GBs in size. I don't have heaps of HD video though. The only thing slow about it is the menu in XBMC. Once the video is playing it's surprisingly smooth. A much better alternative to a modded Xbox with XBMC.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I have one, but I haven't had time to use it. I've been real busy with school and work.

As far as ideas, I had visions of running through the simpler tutorials and spinning those into a pinball machine. It seems feasible.

This is awesome too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAHrBA0jYAo
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

splash it in the shitter and get an APC rock instead