Has anyone been to PAX before?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Has anyone been to PAX before?

Post by Skynet »

PAX is coming to Australia in 6 months and I'm trying to get a feel for the type of stuff I can expect to see at PAX. I was wondering if anyone had been and what type of things I could expect to see.

The event page isn't really listing too much at this time. Is it mainly gaming, do they do other things besides game there, etc.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Has anyone been to PAX before?

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I'd say it's almost entirely gaming-oriented, but "gaming" at PAX is pretty eclectic and includes things like board games, card games, and pen-and-paper RPGs. The US shows include concerts, talks by game developers, tournaments, and various other events. It's also a big tradition for attendees to organize their own unofficial events like pub crawls, after-parties, group visits to tourist attractions, and so on.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I almost went in 2009, but other life events got in the way. What I've heard both from gaming media and from friends who've gone is that the event is pretty strictly focused on gaming (unlike Comic Con), but within the realm of gaming it's a wide umbrella. The primary focus is video games, but there are plenty of board games, card games (such as Magic), and tabletop RPGs as well... and a shockingly high percentage of people seem to carry their DSes around with them. There is also a tournament, which can draw from all the different types of games mentioned, and they tend to have gaming-related performances as well. The year I almost went, Jonathan Coulton (the guy who did the music for Portal) was the featured performer, and did "Still Alive" with Felicia Day. Other years, bands such as The Minibosses and The Protomen have performed.

My recommendation would be to go to a couple of gaming blogs (Joystiq and Kotaku work, if you don't have any others you prefer) and look back at their PAX reporting.

But the short answer is: yes, it's about gaming, and strictly gaming, though not strictly video games. It's not a "come all ye media" event like Comic Con has become.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Cool, thanks guys. That's pretty much what I figured it was about, just wanted opinions on it from people who might know more about it than I do.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

BTW. Just wanna give mad props to the protomen. THey're a local band from nashville and I'm glad they've found some success. YOU FUCKING ROCK PROTOMEN.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God