Building a new PC

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Building a new PC

Post by BlueCrab »

So, its been a while since I've even thought about building a new PC, but my mother's machine is starting to have various problems. Being that it has a Pentium 4 processor and IDE hard drives, I figure its probably about time to just replace it with a new machine. I want something that's nice, but I'm not terribly concerned with playing games on it. I'd also like something that I might be able to upgrade later on (perhaps by getting an Ivy Bridge CPU down the line, or by throwing in an actual GPU or two).

I'm pretty sure I have a case I can throw everything in already, so I don't need that. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a hard drive, what with the way prices have been going up lately.

Here's what I've put together so far: Looking for any comments on it.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building a new PC

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Looking good, but what's your budget?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I'm trying to stay under $500, before the hard drive. I think all of that came to like $450 or so.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Maybe go with a cheaper AMD CPU and mobo and you could probably squeeze a decent GPU into the equation? Unless you're partial to Intel, of course. I've always used Intel, but the Bulldozer stuff is pretty exciting.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Honestly, I know almost nothing about AMD CPUs these days. I've mostly avoided them since I've never had much luck with them. The last two times I've had an AMD CPU in a machine, I had nothing but problems with them.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

I have been using an AMD processor for the last 5 years, and not 1 single problem!

For your $, AMD is the way to go!

If you live near a MicroCenter location, check out this amazing deal:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0375737

The CPU I linked to is a little under the specs of the CPU you posted, but I have heard of successful overclocks "turbo" at 3.5Ghz/core
One of my employees just picked up that processor recently, and I have not seen him this happy in ages!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I've heard at least a few people getting the processor I picked out overclocked to 4.5GHz with the stock heatsink. :o That's a nice little bonus, but not something I care too much about since I'm getting this primarily for my mom, not me.

As I said, I basically know nothing about AMD CPUs these days, except for what I've read recently online about them having issues with some of the newer CPUs.

On the bright side, I saw that I can get a 2TB hard drive locally for $129.99, so at least I now know that piece of the puzzle.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I just bought a 2TB HDD not long ago for the same price. :D Sole purpose: Steam folder. Just hit 100 games installed the other day :P
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

So, after a trip to Micro Center, I've modified a few of the things that are going in the box. I grabbed some RAM from there that ended up being about half as much as the stuff I was going to get from Newegg, I picked up a bigger power supply (500W vs the 400W one I was gonna get), and I decided to spring for a BD-RE drive.

Now I just have to get the motherboard from Newegg... Here's what I've got so far (everything's from Micro Center, except the hard drive):
pc-stuff.jpg
pc-stuff.jpg (471.27 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

BlueCrab wrote:So, after a trip to Micro Center ...
I'm so glad I live within an hour of that place. As a bonus, the Minnesota location is conveniently located next to a Burlington Coat Factory. :lol:
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

pixel wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:So, after a trip to Micro Center ...
I'm so glad I live within an hour of that place. As a bonus, the Minnesota location is conveniently located next to a Burlington Coat Factory. :lol:
This is actually the first time I've ever been to Micro Center. Its a bit more of a drive than I'd like (a bit over an hour from here), but for the amount of money saved on the other components, I could warrant the BD-RE drive.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I wish we had something like that here in New Orleans... We used to have CompUSA but those are all gone... the next closest thing is Best Buy, which is laughable on the topic of computer components. TVs. Blurays. Macbooks. And Guitar Hero.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:I wish we had something like that here in New Orleans... We used to have CompUSA but those are all gone... the next closest thing is Best Buy, which is laughable on the topic of computer components. TVs. Blurays. Macbooks. And Guitar Hero.
I actually got the hard drive at Best Buy. They had the cheapest price around for a 2TB drive, at least that I could find.

I do tend to agree with you though. Their stock of computer components is rather laughable these days (it used to be much better, at least around here).
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Too bad you missed out on Black Friday BlueCrab, there were some crazy deals on at Microcenter and NewEgg (I believe MC had 2500k's for $149).

You did buy the right processor though. AMD's in a rough patch, Bulldozer has turned out to be garbage, so much so that AMD's last generation processors out perform it in certain scenarios. The 2500k is a solid performer all around and considering the 2600k only add hyperthreading, and costs $100 more, I'd say it's the best processor to get.

I just built another computer myself, partially because of the deals at Steam and NewEgg on Black Friday were too good, and because I tried using a laptop and tablet for a few months and they did not replace a desktop sufficiently. Grabbed this setup for ~$600:

Phenom II X6 1055T $100
Asus M5A97-Evo AM3+ $100
Sapphire HD6950 2GB $219
8GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 $30
Fractal Design Define R3 $50
Coolit Eco Liquid Cooler for CPU $50
Corsair 600w PSU $50

Unfortunately we pay a fair amount more for our stuff than you do (which makes no fucking sense since our dollar has been close to par for a few years now).
Last edited by Code-Red on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Code-Red wrote:Too bad you missed out on Black Friday BlueCrab, there were some crazy deals on at Microcenter and NewEgg (I believe MC had 2500k's for $149).
Yeah, unfortunately, the old machine didn't up and die until this past week. The machine is really my mother's, and she wasn't really thinking about getting a new machine any time soon. On the bright side, I only paid $179 for the 2500k at Micro Center yesterday.
You did buy the right processor though. AMD's in a rough patch, Bulldozer has turned out to be garbage, so much so that AMD's last generation processors out perform it in certain scenarios. The 2500k is a solid performer all around and considering the 2600k only add hyperthreading, and costs $100, I'd say it's the best processor to get.
That's pretty much the thought process that I put into it.
If you haven't picked up a graphics card yet, I'd strongly suggest trying to find a $200-$220 6950 2GB that can unlock to a 6970.
Since the machine is for my mother mainly, I'm not terribly concerned with a GPU at the moment. For what she needs it for (checking email, paying bills online, etc), the Intel HD 3000 in it will work just fine. I'll consider adding a GPU at a later date. Hell, I could even add two, since everything should work just fine with SLI or CrossFire. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Damnit, you screwed up my ninja edit!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BlueCrab wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:I wish we had something like that here in New Orleans... We used to have CompUSA but those are all gone... the next closest thing is Best Buy, which is laughable on the topic of computer components. TVs. Blurays. Macbooks. And Guitar Hero.
I actually got the hard drive at Best Buy. They had the cheapest price around for a 2TB drive, at least that I could find.

I do tend to agree with you though. Their stock of computer components is rather laughable these days (it used to be much better, at least around here).
we barely keep ddr3 ram in stock. so fucking frustrating.
It's thinking...
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:The next closest thing is Best Buy, which is laughable on the topic of computer components. TVs. Blurays. Macbooks. And Guitar Hero.
Unfortunately, it seems the average Best Buy gets smaller and smaller. The one here is half the size of a normal one. They used to have all the parts you'd need for a complete build even last year, but I don't think they have most of that stuff anymore.
BlueCrab wrote:This is actually the first time I've ever been to Micro Center. …
Last year, I went to one for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised with the salesmen's expertise. Unlike the other electronics stores, they have the adapters and cables for cheap, which is a big reason we go there. It's nice to know that if I needed something quickly, I can get what I need for a very good price.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

pixel wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:The next closest thing is Best Buy, which is laughable on the topic of computer components. TVs. Blurays. Macbooks. And Guitar Hero.
Unfortunately, it seems the average Best Buy gets smaller and smaller. The one here is half the size of a normal one. They used to have all the parts you'd need for a complete build even last year, but I don't think they have most of that stuff anymore..

Seems to be Wal-Mart's strategy as well. While their stores themselves aren't shrinking, their departments and product line are. Most new Walmarts I've been to in the past 5 years have pretty much done away with the Automotive and Tire service, Arts and Crafts, Sporting Goods, etc. These departments still exist, but in the place of a Crafts department with fabric by the yard and a cutting table, it's two aisles of glitter.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Best Buy plans to completely eliminate all physical media. It's why a lot of them have so many random new things, like musical instruments, popcorn machines, soda makers, etc - they're hoping to find SOMETHING to replace them. Personally, I think Best Buy is circling the toilet, and will probably be dead in 5-10 years.

Also, it depresses me that my PC is now just past the "two year" point, meaning thinking about a new one is a good idea. Though with a quad core (a Phenom 955), I probably really just need a new video card. Guess that's not too bad.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.