So long jerkass

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So long jerkass

Post by pavelbure »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11 ... campaigns/
MSNBC host Keith Olbermann was put on indefinite suspension Friday after bosses at the cable news network learned that he had donated to three Democratic candidates, including one who had appeared on his show on the same day, in violation of the network's rules.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay," Phil Griffin, president of MSNBC, said in a statement.

The three candidates who received the maximum legal amount of $2,400 are Reps. Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords, both of Arizona and both who won tough re-election bids. Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway was the third recipient. He lost to Republican Rand Paul.

The donations were made on Oct. 28, the same day Grijalva appeared on the MSNBC show "Countdown With Keith Olbermann."

Politico, which was first to report the contributions, published Olbermann's confirmation of the donations.

"I did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns nor to any others in this election or any previous ones, nor have I previously donated to any political campaign at any level," Olbermann said in a statement to the newspaper.

NBC News prohibits its employees from working on, or donating to, political campaigns unless a special exception is granted by the news division president -- effectively a ban. Olbermann's bosses did not find out about the donations until after they were made.

Olbermann was a co-anchor of MSNBC's election coverage this week. The network's performance drew some criticism, particularly with Chris Matthews' contentious interviews with Republican Bachmann and Marsha Blackburn.

Olbermann was seen laughing following Matthews' conversation with Bachmann. Matthews had criticized the congresswoman for failing to answer his questions.

Chris Hayes will fill in for Olbermann on Friday's program, the network said.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: So long jerkass

Post by Eviltaco64X »

$5 says that MSNBC will eventually be on his Worst Person list. :P
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Now they just need to get rid of that butch dyke that he loves so much. Fucking assholes.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

It seems like kind of a stupid policy to apply such a ban to all employees. Surely if the appearance of neutrality is the issue, it should only apply to actual anchors/reporters, and not to people like Olbermann who are obviously not neutral in the first place. I wouldn't exactly feel like my trust had been betrayed if I found out that Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly donated to Republican candidates. Even if opinionated pundits were exempt, though, I think it's still a very draconian policy.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Ex-Cyber wrote:It seems like kind of a stupid policy to apply such a ban to all employees. Surely if the appearance of neutrality is the issue, it should only apply to actual anchors/reporters, and not to people like Olbermann who are obviously not neutral in the first place. I wouldn't exactly feel like my trust had been betrayed if I found out that Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly donated to Republican candidates. Even if opinionated pundits were exempt, though, I think it's still a very draconian policy.
Agreed. He should be able to donate to any politician or campaign if he wishes to. It wasn't even a shady backdoor operation or anything... His donations were perfectly legal!

I think it's kind of ironic that MSNBC would make such a big deal about something like this, though. Considering that the channel has a pretty heavy liberal bias and usually fully backs Democrats, you'd think they'd let their news hosts donate to the people they're talking up.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Eviltaco64X wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:It seems like kind of a stupid policy to apply such a ban to all employees. Surely if the appearance of neutrality is the issue, it should only apply to actual anchors/reporters, and not to people like Olbermann who are obviously not neutral in the first place. I wouldn't exactly feel like my trust had been betrayed if I found out that Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly donated to Republican candidates. Even if opinionated pundits were exempt, though, I think it's still a very draconian policy.
Agreed. He should be able to donate to any politician or campaign if he wishes to. It wasn't even a shady backdoor operation or anything... His donations were perfectly legal!

I think it's kind of ironic that MSNBC would make such a big deal about something like this, though. Considering that the channel has a pretty heavy liberal bias and usually fully backs Democrats, you'd think they'd let their news hosts donate to the people they're talking up.
As much as I can't stand the guy I agree. It is his right to do what he wants with his money. Unfortunately the company he works for does have policies in place.

BTW Fox hosts are allowed to contribute to whomever they want to. Which is the way it should be.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Fag boy is back.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

pavelbure wrote:
Eviltaco64X wrote:

As much as I can't stand the guy I agree. It is his right to do what he wants with his money. Unfortunately the company he works for does have policies in place.

BTW Fox hosts are allowed to contribute to whomever they want to. Which is the way it should be.
In principle, the rule is logical. If you're a member of a news organization, you shouldn't make donations towards the people you're suppose to cover. In practice, it seems a little overbearing. But then again, MSNBC is a private company. If a company makes a rule, the employee shouldn't act all butthurt if the company doles out a punishment. Granted, I don't watch/support CNN, MSNBC, Fox News or any 24 hour news channel. I can't stand Keith Olbermann, Wolf Blitzer, Glenn Beck, Nancy Grace, Greta VanSusteren and all of the other craptastic TV news program hosts. IMO, they all gave up on their journalistic careers long, long ago.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

pixel wrote:Granted, I don't watch/support CNN, MSNBC, Fox News or any 24 hour news channel. I can't stand Keith Olbermann, Wolf Blitzer, Glenn Beck, Nancy Grace, Greta VanSusteren and all of the other craptastic TV news program hosts. IMO, they all gave up on their journalistic careers long, long ago.
Hmm...Brandon, how do you know all these peoples names if you don't watch these programs? :suss:
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DanteJay wrote:
pixel wrote:Granted, I don't watch/support CNN, MSNBC, Fox News or any 24 hour news channel. I can't stand Keith Olbermann, Wolf Blitzer, Glenn Beck, Nancy Grace, Greta VanSusteren and all of the other craptastic TV news program hosts. IMO, they all gave up on their journalistic careers long, long ago.
Hmm...Brandon, how do you know all these peoples names if you don't watch these programs? :suss:
Typically, I watch something before I decide to stop watching it. Plus, after a hefty dose of edumacations in journalism school, I've grown to know the stylings of many journalists, TV and otherwise.

In all seriousness, I disabled all the 24 hour news channels on my old analog TV in my bedroom. Unfortunately, the digital guide in the living room won't let me erase the channels I don't like.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

pixel wrote:Typically, I watch something before I decide to stop watching it. Plus, after a hefty dose of edumacations in journalism school, I've grown to know the stylings of many journalists, TV and otherwise.

In all seriousness, I disabled all the 24 hour news channels on my old analog TV in my bedroom. Unfortunately, the digital guide in the living room won't let me erase the channels I don't like.
I had to look up what edumacation means, but now that I know I can appreciate where you are coming from. My feelings are a bit similar, however a bit at odds with one another. I have always had a great deal of respect for professional journalism, but I have always hated the news, including the 24hr stations, and the in-depth news programs such as W5 or even 20/20.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I used to love 20/20, Dateline and 60 Minutes when I was younger. Are they all still on?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

bizzle wrote:Now they just need to get rid of that butch dyke that he loves so much. Fucking assholes.
Olbermann is obnoxious but I like Rachel Maddow.
It's thinking...
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

|darc| wrote:
bizzle wrote:Now they just need to get rid of that butch dyke that he loves so much. Fucking assholes.
Olbermann is obnoxious but I like Rachel Maddow.
When I saw her interview on the Daily Show, she seemed alright. I don't know if I'd like her show or not.
Jeeba Jabba wrote:I used to love 20/20, Dateline and 60 Minutes when I was younger. Are they all still on?
AFAIK, all three are still on the air. Dateline and 20/20 devolved into drivel. I remember when Dateline was on like four days a week and watching Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters at the end of TGIF. 60 Minutes is still good, although Andy Rooney is slipping into a drug-crazed dementia.

The one show I always liked is Sunday Morning on CBS. Unfortunately, I'm never up at 8 a.m. to watch. But as a kid, I always watched it with my dad before church.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Granted, I don't watch/support CNN, MSNBC, Fox News or any 24 hour news channel.
Fox News isn't news, it's a tabloid entertainment station. I personally prefer the MHz Internationally routed news broadcasts, "if" I'm going to watch news on TV. Who does that anymore?
I can't stand Keith Olbermann, Wolf Blitzer, Glenn Beck, Nancy Grace, Greta VanSusteren and all of the other craptastic TV news program hosts.
All of these people mentioned are political commentators, not news reporters. Their shows are 'entertainment' for like-minded people, and don't even pretend to be a source of accurate news broadcasting.
ImageImageImageImage
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Stryfe wrote:
I can't stand Keith Olbermann, Wolf Blitzer, Glenn Beck, Nancy Grace, Greta VanSusteren and all of the other craptastic TV news program hosts.
All of these people mentioned are political commentators, not news reporters. Their shows are 'entertainment' for like-minded people, and don't even pretend to be a source of accurate news broadcasting.
Sure. But that doesn't stop people from watching them. Ideally, they should be treated as sideshow freaks, but plenty of people view these shows, craft an opinion and rebroadcast it to others.

Personally, I read the statewide and local newspaper.* I like to listen to some NPR programs (All Things Considered, This American Life) and the state news. Then I troll my blogroll of sites for niche news and interests. For me, it's gotten to the point where I barely watch the local affiliates' news programs because of inane coverage.

*I'm paid to read the local newspaper, since it's my job. :D