Wacky election candidates reveal problems at heart of Brazil

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wacky election candidates reveal problems at heart of Brazil

Post by mankrip »

BBC Brasil wrote:Wacky election candidates reveal problems at heart of Brazil politics

By Maria Luisa Cavalcanti
BBC Brasil

"What does a federal deputy do? Truly, I don't know. But vote for me and I will find out for you."

Francisco Everardo Oliveira Silva is expected to be voted in by more than a million people

This is one of the political slogans of a man who is expected to enter the Brazilian Chamber of Deputies, the lower house of Congress, in the general election on 3 October with the backing of more than a million voters.

If the phrase sounds like some sort of joke, perhaps you will not be surprised to learn that this particular candidate is a professional clown.

Francisco Everardo Oliveira Silva, or Tiririca as he is known, started working in a circus at the age of eight in the impoverished north-eastern state of Ceara, and is now a TV comedian.

Like Tiririca - which means grumpy - dozens of figures from Brazilian sport and showbusiness C-list are fighting for one of the Chamber's 513 seats, alongside experienced politicians, members of longstanding political clans and complete newcomers.

In all there are more than 6,000 candidates from 27 parties.

Another candidate who is predicted to win a landslide victory is the ex-footballer Romario, hero of Brazil's 1994 World Cup victory.

He is running for office representing his home state of Rio de Janeiro and hopes to work to "keep children off crack and other drugs".

"As a kid growing up in a poor community, I got tired of politicians visiting us and promising improvements that never happened. I realised that I have to be the one who get things done," Romario tells the BBC.

Social media impact

While the mainstream media focuses on a presidential run which is probably already defined, with President Lula da Silva's choice Dilma Rousseff way ahead of her opponents in the polls, the "wacky race" for Congress dominates Brazil's blogosphere and social network websites.

Tiririca's videos, for example, have already been viewed by more than 3.5m people on YouTube, and his name remained as one of Twitter's trending topics for a few days.

"In Brazil, all of the candidates are allocated airtime on aerial TV and radio. And when people like Tiririca appear on the screen, they stand out from the 'boring' ones who are actually using their slot to present real proposals", explains Eliane Cantanhede, political correspondent at Folha de S Paulo newspaper.

But a long list of exotic names running for office is not unique to this electoral campaign.

"Brazil has a tradition of voting for these types of characters, either because they make a strong impression on the poorer and less informed voters, or because they attract those wealthy and well-educated people who are fed up with politicians and want to protest", Cantanhede says.

The way the Chamber of Deputies is formed - by an open-list proportional representation system - also feeds the existence of such candidates, analysts say.

David Fleischer, professor of Political Science at the University of Brasilia, explains: "These people are promoted by their parties in the hope that they will get enough votes to pull some two or three less-voted-for candidates into office."

Some parties are so aware of the efficiency of the system that they even invite the celebrities to run in the elections.

One example is Suellem Rocha, alias Mulher-Pera - "the pear-shaped woman" - a 22-year-old model and dancer who told the BBC she had accepted a proposal from the National Labour Party to try and grab a seat in Brasilia, where she expects to "fight for the young people", as she puts it.

Suellem Rocha was invited to stand by the National Labour Party

"I am enjoying campaigning in the streets, and the people I meet say they'd rather vote for me than for corrupt candidates. They tell me it is time to bring renovation to the Congress," she says.

'Bad guys'

Corruption is, in fact, one of the words most associated with the body formed by the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies.

Research carried out in 2007 by G1.com, a leading Brazilian news website, showed that there had been at least 20 major corruption scandals in the Congress since democracy was restored in Brazil in 1985.

One of the most notorious was the "mensalao" scandal, an alleged cash-for-votes scheme involving Lula's ruling Workers' Party and some of his closest allies, in 2005.

Those accused stepped down or were banned from office, but Lula managed to stay afloat and was re-elected the following year.

"If in the past the Congress was crucial for the opposition to the military regime, today it is just perceived as a place where bad guys go to make money," says Cantanhede.

For the analyst, this is the result of Brazil's failure to keep up with political changes, contrary to what it did in the economic front: "Because of the centralising nature of the Lula administration and because of their lack of interest in promoting an ethical debate, the Brazilian legislative lost its political role."

The body is still responsible for approving or rejecting laws, as well as controlling the executive's budget.

But, as Prof Fleischer explains, the existence of leadership committees, formed by deputies appointed by their parties and allies, allows the president to have considerable power to control the Congressional agenda.

On 3rd October, almost 136m Brazilians will also be choosing state governors, state deputies and senators. Voting is mandatory in the country.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: Wacky election candidates reveal problems at heart of Brazil

Post by Quzar »

Well, considering that your president is a former auto factory worker who is barely literate, I don't see how this is all too far off.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Quzar wrote:Well, considering that your president is a former auto factory worker who is barely literate, I don't see how this is all too far off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luiz_Inácio_Lula_da_Silva
Luiz Inácio da Silva was born on 27 October 1945 in Caetés (then a district of Garanhuns), located 155 miles (250 km) from Recife , capital of Pernambuco, a Brazilian state. He was the seventh of eight children of Aristides Inácio da Silva and Eurídice Ferreira de Melo. Two weeks after Lula's birth, his father moved to Santos with Valdomira Ferreira de Góis, a cousin of Eurídice.
In December, 1952, when Lula was only seven years old, his mother decided to migrate to São Paulo with her children to rejoin her husband. After a journey of thirteen days in a pau-de-arara (the open cargo area of a truck), they arrived in Guarujá and discovered that Aristides had formed a second family with Valdomira. Aristides' two families lived in the same house for some time, but they didn't get along very well, and four years later, Eurídice moved with her children to a small room in the back area of a bar in the city of São Paulo. After that, Lula rarely saw his father, who became an alcoholic and died in 1978.

Education and work

Lula had little formal education. He did not learn to read until he was ten years old,[8] and quit school after the fourth grade in order to work to help his family. His working life began at age 12 as a shoeshiner and street vendor.[9] By age 14 he got his first formal job in a copper processing factory as a lathe operator.
At age 19, he lost the little finger on his left hand in an accident while working as a press operator in an automobile parts factory.[8] After losing his finger he had to run to several hospitals before he received medical attention. This experience increased his interest in participating within the Workers' Union. Around that time, he became involved in union activities and held several important union posts.[9] Due to perceived incompatibility with the Brazilian military government and trade union activities, Lula's views moved further to the political left.
Insane homebrew collector.
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

Quzar wrote:Well, considering that your president is a former auto factory worker who is barely literate, I don't see how this is all too far off.

Uno de los mejores presidentes en la historia de latinoamerica (y del mundo) y un ejemplo de vida. El comentario de arriba es uno de los más desubicados, grotescos y nazis que pude leer en mucho tiempo. Demuestra un desconocimiento total de política internacional. Una falta de respeto total a un presidente ejemplar.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Should've voted for the ten-fingered auto factory owner.
Christuserloeser

Juan wrote:Should've voted for the ten-fingered auto factory owner.
lol - exactly! I mean that's what Quzar's saying, right ? :brickwall:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Guaripolo wrote:

Uno de los mejores presidentes en la historia de latinoamerica (y del mundo) y un ejemplo de vida. El comentario de arriba es uno de los más desubicados, grotescos y nazis que pude leer en mucho tiempo. Demuestra un desconocimiento total de política internacional. Una falta de respeto total a un presidente ejemplar.
Yea, call me a nazi. Fantastic. I'm not saying he's a bad person or has done bad things. I'm saying that Brazil's political system doesn't work the same way ours does strongly favoring highly educated 'upper-crust' people. What it demonstrates is that the people are willing to vote for someone they feel might fight for them regardless of their background.

A bit over sensitive are we?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

In most cases, Brazil simply doesn't have any good candidates. Our educational system never inspires children to become politicians, plus we were under a military regime from 1964 to the late 80's that weakened our political culture even more. Politics are almost never seen as a legitimate career or as a field of study.

Due to this, most people around here doesn't understand well enough how politics works, which in turn results in idiots seeing politics as a easy way to make money, and in smarter people never thinking about becoming a politician.

Lula didn't change our country much, he just didn't screw it up like most of our previous presidents did.

But yeah, this country is run by idiots.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

In most cases, Brazil simply doesn't have any good candidates. Our educational system never inspires children to become politicians, plus we were under a military regime from 1964 to the late 80's that weakened our political culture even more. Politics are almost never seen as a legitimate career or as a field of study.

Due to this, most people around here doesn't understand well enough how politics works, which in turn results in idiots seeing politics as a easy way to make money, and in smarter people never thinking about becoming a politician.

Lula didn't change our country much, he just didn't screw it up like most of our previous presidents did.

But yeah, this country is run by idiots.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0dpYUXL5Y

She may not be talented for the job, but she is obviously talented for a vast amount of other "jobs". ;)
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

Quzar wrote:
Guaripolo wrote:

Yea, call me a nazi. Fantastic. I'm not saying he's a bad person or has done bad things. I'm saying that Brazil's political system doesn't work the same way ours does strongly favoring highly educated 'upper-crust' people. What it demonstrates is that the people are willing to vote for someone they feel might fight for them regardless of their background.

A bit over sensitive are we?

yes! you're right.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Guaripolo wrote:yes! you're right.
willing to vote
No one voted for Mary Carey or Gary Coleman.
It's thinking...
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

|darc| wrote:
Guaripolo wrote:yes! you're right.
willing to vote
No one voted for Mary Carey or Gary Coleman.

Gary Coleman got 14,242 votes, Mary Carey got 11,179. Well, it's nothing...25.000 people it's nothing for you, it's ok.
OH! AND the other guy got 4,206,284 votes. Of course, he's not a clown...

...but he makes me laugh anyway.

One more thing:

replace 'upper-crust' people with bourgeoisie and people with proletariat. Now you're a commie.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Harry Carray on the other hand.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Guaripolo wrote:Gary Coleman got 14,242 votes, Mary Carey got 11,179. Well, it's nothing...25.000 people it's nothing for you, it's ok.
Are you seriously saying that 14,242 votes in one election and over a million votes in another election are the same thing, specially when the size of Brazil's population is about half of the size of the US's population?
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

Manoel wrote:
Guaripolo wrote:Gary Coleman got 14,242 votes, Mary Carey got 11,179. Well, it's nothing...25.000 people it's nothing for you, it's ok.
Are you seriously saying that 14,242 votes in one election and over a million votes in another election are the same thing, specially when the size of Brazil's population is about half of the size of the US's population?

E brincadeira muleke...AWUehaWUheaWUheAWUheaWUehauweHeawe...mais vc nao incluye os votos do "arnoldinho arantes do nascemento".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imGtgobI7X4
Today I've heard that lula is being censored in o'globo, this is a lie, that's the evidence!
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Guaripolo wrote: replace 'upper-crust' people with bourgeoisie and people with proletariat. Now you're a commie.

Those are the complete opposite ideals of Communism. Also, if you're from Brazil and want to start a discussion on class warfare, I'd highly suggest walking away.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Guaripolo wrote: replace 'upper-crust' people with bourgeoisie and people with proletariat. Now you're a commie.

Those are the complete opposite ideals of Communism. Also, if you're from Brazil and want to start a discussion on class warfare, I'd highly suggest walking away.
No, you're wrong. (i really love the way you argue).
The second sentence...i really don't understand, it's cryptic...should i start to run or roll in the floor? maybe you need to "use more words" -words are cheap- I didn't learn to read people's mind in school (you know, education here really sucks).

So please i will ask just one thing: please delete my account.
Christuserloeser

Calm down. Not everyone's like Quzar over here.
Quzar wrote:I'm saying that Brazil's political system doesn't work the same way ours
What you wrote was: "Your president is a former auto factory worker who is barely literate"
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Guaripolo wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

No, you're wrong. (i really love the way you argue).
The second sentence...i really don't understand, it's cryptic...should i start to run or roll in the floor? maybe you need to "use more words" -words are cheap- I didn't learn to read people's mind in school (you know, education here really sucks).

So please i will ask just one thing: please delete my account.

Brazil's lack of a prominent middle-class. There's rich, and there's poor. My stepdad was born and raised in Rio. He was rich.

When we had an in-ground pool dug here, it cost nearly $20,000, and was done by a couple of guys with some heavy machinery.

When his parents had a pool dug, during a visit once, 50 guys showed up with shovels.

Also, inb4 "Duh, haven't you heard of the 3rd world before." Brazil is a completely different creature. It's a large, unorganized yet fledgling democracy that makes anywhere else south of the U.S. look like Satan's toilet.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe