9th Circuit rules for "licensed, not sold"

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

9th Circuit rules for "licensed, not sold"

Post by Ex-Cyber »

This sucks:
Electronic Frontier Foundation wrote:In a major blow to user rights, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has issued a decision that will go a long way toward ensuring that software buyers will rarely be software owners.

In a triumph of legal formalism over reality, the Court held that the copyright’s first sale doctrine – the law that allows you to resell books and that protects libraries and archives from claims of copyright infringement – doesn’t apply to software (and possibly DVDs, CDs and other “licensed” content) as long as the vendor saddles the transfer with enough restrictions to transform what the buyer may think is sale into a mere license.
Link
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
bizzle

Re: 9th Circuit rules for "licensed, not sold"

Post by bizzle »

LOLZ. I'll stick with my torrents.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

It'll likely take someone doing this with more traditional media (movie, music, book) before the courts realize their mistake here.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Quzar wrote:It'll likely take someone doing this with more traditional media (movie, music, book) before the courts realize their mistake here.

Yeah.. I was about to say that. If you can't sell used games.. How can you sell used movies, CDs or books?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Quzar wrote:It'll likely take someone doing this with more traditional media (movie, music, book) before the courts realize their mistake here.

Yeah.. I was about to say that. If you can't sell used games.. How can you sell used movies, CDs or books?
That was my first thought when I saw this, as well. The MPAA and RIAA must have been waiting in the wings for this decision, because it really opens up the floodgates to redefine the very nature of the media market, in a very anti-consumer way.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Yeah.. I was about to say that. If you can't sell used games.. How can you sell used movies, CDs or books?
The logic of the court seems to basically be that an EULA clickwrap license saying that the software is "not sold" -- which is pretty much standard boilerplate wording -- takes priority over an implied contract of sale (note that the court reached its conclusion by deciding that Autodesk still owned the actual physical discs, not merely that the EULA had been violated). Movies, CDs, and books generally don't come with such things. Movies sometimes come with warnings saying "licensed for home viewing only" or similar wording, but that's not a license/contract, it's just telling you that you don't have a license to e.g. broadcast it or use it in public.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Of course, with this decision out there today, there's not much to prevent sellers of other media to add similar licenses to their respective products. Just stick some stickers on Blu-Ray discs stating that by opening the shrink wrap you agree to X. I'm not convinced they're GOING to do this, but from what I can tell there's nothing stopping it.

And also, decisions like this make me REALLY want to pirate software. :P
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Alternatively, some indie developer selling software where the EULA says you are prohibited from using it in the dark or something else silly.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Quzar wrote:Alternatively, some indie developer selling software where the EULA says you are prohibited from using it in the dark or something else silly.
:o Guys, we need to do this. To the Screamcast-mobile!
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

*Inserts FFXIV into PS3*
You are prohibited from turning off your PS3 until you pre-order your next Square-Enix game from your local video-game retailer. Any disconnection for our servers will result in an immediate dispatch of your local authorities. Square-Enix wishes to thank you for your purchase of FFXIV. Please enjoy the game.
o_o
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Quzar wrote:Alternatively, some indie developer selling software where the EULA says you are prohibited from using it in the dark or something else silly.
One company had a clause in its EULA offering a prize if someone emailed them to claim it. It took thousands of downloads before someone actually did.