Your man in Japan!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Your man in Japan!

Post by Nico0020 »

well it's official, I'll start living in Japan on September 24th. I'll be living in a small apartment in Yamagata catered towards international students. I am going through a study abroad program from my University for the fall and spring semesters. I was also just recently awarded a $5000 scholarship I applied for to help with the costs. I am already in communication with someone my school has over there right now, he will be there for my first semester and will help me get my life started there.

Though for anyone who travels overseas often, any suggestions on the best way to get a good deal on the airfare?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Re: Your man in Japan!

Post by Specially Cork »

Japan is awesome. You'll love it.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I'd love to visit Japan sometime (along with plenty of other places overseas). I only wish that I could've done some kind of study abroad thing while I was still an undergraduate...
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I only have a handful of classes left to finish as an undergrad, which most I will finish while overseas. It was kinda a now or never thing, which I've been working on all the stuff to go since late last fall. Everyone that I talked to that was no longer an undergrad said the same thing that they wished they had - as a lot more effort and resources are available to help you go, but once you hit graduate school they kinda stop handing all that stuff out to you.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I'd love to go to Japan one day. Hope you enjoy it!
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Steer clear of Hiroshima.

"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
vicviper74
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by vicviper74 »

Send us some pics. of everything like airport taxi train.. corner store hot chicks, toilet lol.. I wish i were you right now..
Since people seem to message me for nuthin!!! I removed my messenger link ha ha ha ha
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Totally will. I'll be setting up a blog or something to post lots of pictures onto. I've been looking for a good deal on a nice digital camera since I lack one.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

Using Orbitz light years ahead of time always got me a good deal from and to Japan. Buying a ticket 3 weeks before Christmas did not yield savings account savings.

Is someone providing you with a cellphone telephone? If not and you can do without (and you might have to) Skype will be a godsend.

EDIT: Narita airport may drive you to stab your first Japanese scoundrel. Nagoya will not.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I've been talking to a student who my school currently has there. He was able to get himself a cell phone dirt cheap and set up a 2 year plan. Although he will only be there a year, the cancellation fee is only like 90 bucks. I've been meaning to ask him more about where he went and such, as of what I have read online is that it's very hard for foreigners to get phones there. But yes, skype will keep me in touch with people here. The cell phone will be for local friends and emergencies.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Nico0020 wrote:well it's official, I'll start living in Japan on September 24th. I'll be living in a small apartment in Yamagata catered towards international students. I am going through a study abroad program from my University for the fall and spring semesters. I was also just recently awarded a $5000 scholarship I applied for to help with the costs. I am already in communication with someone my school has over there right now, he will be there for my first semester and will help me get my life started there.
That's awesome! :grinthumb:

- I think I may have to ask you to buy something for me some day.... :P

But yeah, photos and other impressions are always awesome. I love browsing Boney's blog and reading his experiences in China.
Insane homebrew collector.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Thanks for the tip on Orbitz, I am still waiting on some paperwork from my University before I buy my ticket. I have actually never flown anywhere before, but looking at the layovers is actually kinda confusing. I live in Dallas Texas, so I would expect my layovers to be somewhere like California, Washington or even Hawaii. But a lot of them are odd directions (like south of here) in Houston, or even Denver. I thought the point of layovers was to do with being efficient with fuel and other flights. So say I fly from Dallas to Denver and then Denver to Tokyo, that flight is much much cheaper due to the layover. Yet if I wanted a nonstop flight its wayyyyy more expensive. I dunno, I just don't understand the airlines lol.

What are international flights like anyways? I am looking at being in the air for like 20 hours, sounds pretty miserable. I'll have my itouch, DS and a book in my carry on to keep me occupied, but I don't know how I can deal with just SITTING for 20 hours. Advice?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Nico0020 wrote:Thanks for the tip on Orbitz, I am still waiting on some paperwork from my University before I buy my ticket. I have actually never flown anywhere before, but looking at the layovers is actually kinda confusing. I live in Dallas Texas, so I would expect my layovers to be somewhere like California, Washington or even Hawaii. But a lot of them are odd directions (like south of here) in Houston, or even Denver. I thought the point of layovers was to do with being efficient with fuel and other flights. So say I fly from Dallas to Denver and then Denver to Tokyo, that flight is much much cheaper due to the layover. Yet if I wanted a nonstop flight its wayyyyy more expensive. I dunno, I just don't understand the airlines lol.

What are international flights like anyways? I am looking at being in the air for like 20 hours, sounds pretty miserable. I'll have my itouch, DS and a book in my carry on to keep me occupied, but I don't know how I can deal with just SITTING for 20 hours. Advice?
My first flight was an international direct flight from Baltimore to London (not nearly 20 hours, but still not the best idea in the world for someone who's never been on a plane). I kept myself occupied by watching the in-flight TV. They actually had some interesting stuff on it, believe it or not. In all honesty, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, even though I couldn't sleep at all (I did try before going to the TV option).

Other than the flight to London and back, I've only ever flown to Seattle and back 3 times. On those flights, I occupied myself by way of Laptop, DS, and just plain looking out the window. Its always fun to see new sights from the plane, although that won't help you that much while over the ocean, probably.

As long as you keep yourself occupied in some way, you'll probably be fine. Bringing a DS and a book will probably be good enough, just make sure the DS is fully charged (that would be the thing I would forget to do). :wink:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I take long-haul flights two or three times a year. My advice:
- Like BC said, the in-flight TV usually does have decent stuff on. If you get a newer plane you should have the on-demand stuff which is even better. The screen is often pretty crappy, but it kills time.
- If you're bringing portable devices try to get a extra rechargable power pack. I've got a bettery about the size of a DS that can hook up to DS/PSP/IPOD etc. and gives about 20 hours of extra juice.
- Get some sleeping medication. It's the easiest way to kill time but it can be really difficult to do in that environment.
- Take advantage of the flight staff. Most long-haul flights have free drinks and snacks for the whole trip (including booze). Don't just wait around for meal times.
- Choose your seat carefully. There's pros and cons to all of them. You won't get disturbed in a window seat, but when you need a piss and there's two sleeping people in the way you'll wish you were somewhere else.
- Get up and exercise. Planes are pretty big, go and explore. Nobody minds and they recommend you do it anyway. Sitting down for the amount of time is pretty unhealthy.
- Check-in online. Pick a seat early, skip all the queues at the airport. It's amazing how few people do it.
- Bring a small set of things to freshen up. Going into the toilet and having a quick clean can make you feel much better.
- Bring one of those books of puzzles old people buy. They eat up a lot of time and give you something to do that doesn't involve looking at a screen.
- Bring a sweater. Planes get pretty cold after so many hours.
- Drink a lot of water. The air in planes is incredibly dry. I find this the most uncomfortable thing of all.
I love browsing Boney's blog and reading his experiences in China.
Cool. If I'd have known someone other than my family was reading them I would've put more effort in.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I wonder if I could find day labor digging ditches or unloading trucks or something to have some extra cash. I have a good amount of money saved up and given to me through scholarships n such, but it would always be nice to have some extra spending cash.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Go drive some forklifts, work the Lucky Hit stands, move some boxes around a warehouse.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Come to think of it, I'm absolutely clueless about the state of Japan's economy. How are they doing right now (possibly boneycork)?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I have no idea about the current state, but I'm well aware that it has never been described as good during my lifetime.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

One thing I will say, if you pursue any Japanese girls be prepared to get dumped as soon as they get over the thrill of dating a foreigner. Every Japanese girl isn't like that, of course, but I've known a few people who lived in Japan had that happen to them. One of them got dumped by a phone number change and a complete lack of contact ever again. Ouch.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

BoneyCork wrote:I have no idea about the current state, but I'm well aware that it has never been described as good during my lifetime.
The value of the Yen is still falling, though not as fast as the dollar so conversion rates still suck. In the 80s unemployment starting hitting all time highs IIRC and they have not recovered too well. Their economy sucks as much as everyone else's right now. But I'm just stating what I have read, personally I have no idea.