I WONDER WHAT STEVE JOBS WILL ANNOUNCE IN 3 HOURS?!?!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I WONDER WHAT STEVE JOBS WILL ANNOUNCE IN 3 HOURS?!?!

Post by DanteJay »

He'll announce something that can only be best described as "Magical".
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

The phone looks really good. I'd buy one if I was in the market for a new handset.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

lol
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'm sure it'll just some junky little AT&T thing.

Seriously, though, I would be all over this if it were on ANY other carrier. Unfortunately, I just signed a Verizon contract a couple weeks ago, and I've got a Droid Incredible on back order.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I wish I could get one on launch day, but there's no way I can get off work to stand at the AT&T store to get it. And I'm pretty sure they will be sold out by the time I get there at 3pm.

I've been wanting to get a new phone for 4 months now, but I've been waiting for Apple to release the new one. Plus my wife has been bugging me for a new MP3 player ever since her Zune died, so once I get a new iPhone, I can convert the old one into an iPod for her. She steals my phone all the time now just to play Mahjong.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:I wish I could get one on launch day, but there's no way I can get off work to stand at the AT&T store to get it. And I'm pretty sure they will be sold out by the time I get there at 3pm.

I've been wanting to get a new phone for 4 months now, but I've been waiting for Apple to release the new one. Plus my wife has been bugging me for a new MP3 player ever since her Zune died, so once I get a new iPhone, I can convert the old one into an iPod for her. She steals my phone all the time now just to play Mahjong.
Why not just preorder it? It'll be delivered to your doorstep on the launch day morning.
It's thinking...
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Hasney wrote:iAd's?
I really hope this idea stays as an Apple exclusive.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I've been holding out for a couple of months for this before signing a new plan. Unfortunitly Australia gets left behind again with a release date and we have to wait until all US orders are filled. I would like a driod but they are so hard to get here. I guess I'll have wait another 2 months.

The best part was when someone yelled out "You tried Verizons coverage?" when he was having network issues.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:
melancholy wrote:I wish I could get one on launch day, but there's no way I can get off work to stand at the AT&T store to get it. And I'm pretty sure they will be sold out by the time I get there at 3pm.

Why not just preorder it? It'll be delivered to your doorstep on the launch day morning.
That's weird, when I checked yesterday, they didn't have any info at all about preordering online, just in store. I wonder if you have to pay the total amount in advance? I'm getting a bonus that's going to pay for this phone, but I don't get it until the 22nd.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DanteJay wrote:
Why are people getting their panties all in a wad about iAds? In-app ads on mobile devices are here and they're not going away. As a user, the iAds seem much more pleasant than any of the other ads. As a developer, the iAds aren't required and you can use another advertising system if you want.
melancholy wrote:That's weird, when I checked yesterday, they didn't have any info at all about preordering online, just in store. I wonder if you have to pay the total amount in advance? I'm getting a bonus that's going to pay for this phone, but I don't get it until the 22nd.
I don't see anything anywhere about online or in-store--just that preorders start on June 15. I'm pretty sure you would have to pay the total amount in advance. Maybe you could preorder on June 22 instead? I don't know if they'll be sold out of preorders by then or not.
It's thinking...
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

|darc| wrote:
DanteJay wrote:
Why are people getting their panties all in a wad about iAds? In-app ads on mobile devices are here and they're not going away. As a user, the iAds seem much more pleasant than any of the other ads. As a developer, the iAds aren't required and you can use another advertising system if you want.
Getting hit in the face may be a bit more pleasant than getting kicked in the coins, but that doesn't mean I am not going to subject myself to the either. Not only is this stupid because you've paid money for the app, but you spend good money buying the phone, and you pay a lot of money for the phone service (Canada is one of the worst for this). After all that, you're forced to bend over while the developers have their way with you and tell you to "Go watch Toy Story 3!!". Not me, thanks. I am not going to purchase and/or run ad-infest apps on my pc, and I am not going to do it either on my mobile phone. :yell:
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

DanteJay wrote:
|darc| wrote:
DanteJay wrote:
Getting hit in the face may be a bit more pleasant than getting kicked in the coins, but that doesn't mean I am not going to subject myself to the either. Not only is this stupid because you've paid money for the app, but you spend good money buying the phone, and you pay a lot of money for the phone service (Canada is one of the worst for this). After all that, you're forced to bend over while the developers have their way with you and tell you to "Go watch Toy Story 3!!". Not me, thanks. I am not going to purchase and/or run ad-infest apps on my pc, and I am not going to do it either on my mobile phone. :yell:
Most of the time you get the choice of a free version of an app with ads or a premium version with extra features and no ads, so I can't see the big deal, I can't remember ever buying an app and still having to put up with ads but there's probably a handful of exceptions in the thousands of apps available.
The only difference between this ad system and some of the others out there is this is probably going to be better regulated. Remember this conference was primarily a conference to developers, so iAds would interest them.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

not just souLLy now wrote:
Most of the time you get the choice of a free version of an app with ads or a premium version with extra features and no ads, so I can't see the big deal, I can't remember ever buying an app and still having to put up with ads but there's probably a handful of exceptions in the thousands of apps available.
The only difference between this ad system and some of the others out there is this is probably going to be better regulated. Remember this conference was primarily a conference to developers, so iAds would interest them.
And that's totally fine. I have no problem with developers offering ad versions of free software. But if they get carried away by putting ads in your standard out-of-the-box apps that come with your phone, such as your email client, phone dialer, etc. then it's just greed.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DanteJay wrote:And that's totally fine. I have no problem with developers offering ad versions of free software. But if they get carried away by putting ads in your standard out-of-the-box apps that come with your phone, such as your email client, phone dialer, etc. then it's just greed.
You're jumping to conclusions about this. They're not doing that at all. It's simply a way for developers to put better ads on their free apps. There aren't going to be any ads in the built-in apps and I've never seen an ad on a paid-for app.
It's thinking...
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

|darc| wrote:You're jumping to conclusions about this. They're not doing that at all. It's simply a way for developers to put better ads on their free apps. There aren't going to be any ads in the built-in apps and I've never seen an ad on a paid-for app.
You're right I am jumping to conclusions, but here's an example of why:

Is this not the browser showing built in ads? (look at the bookmark button in the corner).
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

It doesn't look like safari to me, lots of apps replicate the icons from official Apple apps (they may even be part of the SDK), but even if this were Safari, the image is just to show how iAds could be integrated into an app, not necessarily where Apple intend to put some.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

not just souLLy now wrote:It doesn't look like safari to me, lots of apps replicate the icons from official Apple apps (they may even be part of the SDK), but even if this were Safari, the image is just to show how iAds could be integrated into an app, not necessarily where Apple intend to put some.
You're probably right. I guess we'll know for sure once it's released. However, now it seems that there may be shenanigans afoot, as the US anti-trust regulators are going to be investigating the new iAD practises from Apple. (Where Apple is preventing the user's analytical data from being shared with the likes of Google and M$)
Engadget wrote:There's not a lot of details on this at the moment, but the Financial Times is reporting that US antitrust regulators plan to investigate Apple's mobile advertising practices to see whether they unfairly restrict rivals like Google and Microsoft. As you'll recall, Apple recently revised its rules on outside advertisers and, specifically, their ability to collect analytics on ads for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, effectively cutting out Google's AdMob in the process -- something the company's CEO has publicly complained about. What's next? That's still not certain -- the Financial Times says that while US regulators have taken an interest, it's still not clear whether the FTC or the Department of Justice will handle the investigation going forward.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/fina ... igate-app/

:shakeno:
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Hasney wrote:We're getting screwed for data though. All but the most expensive contracts are limited to 500mb.

Wonder if we're able to keep our existing deal al AT+T.
Yeah I saw that today and it pretty much made up my mind instantly to not renew my O2 deal, I would buy out of my contract, but £240 seems like a lot of money even if I can trade in my old phone for cash.
I'm gonna wait out my contract then the greedy cunts can stick it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DanteJay wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:It doesn't look like safari to me, lots of apps replicate the icons from official Apple apps (they may even be part of the SDK), but even if this were Safari, the image is just to show how iAds could be integrated into an app, not necessarily where Apple intend to put some.
You're probably right. I guess we'll know for sure once it's released.
That's not Safari, why would Safari have an icon of a basketball? It's a newsreader app.

By the way, I have the OS4 GM candidate on my iPhone right now...
It's thinking...
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

[quote="|"Eagle-Eye" darc|"]That's not Safari, why would Safari have an icon of a basketball? It's a newsreader app.
[/quote]

WHAT DO YOU MEAN!? WHY WOULD SAFARI NOT HAVE AN ICON OF A BASKETBALL!!??

Sorry, my bad. XD I didn't realize that was a basketball from the other photo. I must have been blinded by my rage. Nice catch. I'll shut up now...