I'm an iPhone developer bitches

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I'm an iPhone developer bitches

Post by toastman »

Just submitted our first app today.

It's a business thing though, so unless you have $25 and a Microsoft CRM database to connect to I don't think you guys would want it.
No signature.
choujij

Re: I'm an iPhone developer bitches

Post by choujij »

toastman wrote:Just submitted our first app today.

It's a business thing though, so unless you have $25 and a Microsoft CRM database to connect to I don't think you guys would want it.
...And you must have an iPhone :P

Congrats though. Was it difficult in getting it approved? I hear quite a bit of rejection stories regarding the iPhone app world.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

The iphone developer community has sounded very restricted to me... considering the history of apples open development...

Of course I want to be on the next wave, but not like this.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

choujij wrote:
toastman wrote:Just submitted our first app today.

...And you must have an iPhone :P

Congrats though. Was it difficult in getting it approved? I hear quite a bit of rejection stories regarding the iPhone app world.
Hasn't been approved yet, we've just submitted for review. Today, I submitted the Read Only version of the app to the store as well. Just conditionally compiled out all of the bits that allowed for modification.
No signature.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

Congratulations! How long did it take to make? Was it hard?
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

You're alive!
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Sweet, you should add my UDID to OS4 beta access :P
It's thinking...
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

nymus wrote:Congratulations! How long did it take to make? Was it hard?
Since I had to continue my regularly scheduled contracted work while doing this, it took about 15 months from first signing up to submitting for review. There were some months where no work got done at all. Plus, I was learning the whole Objective-C/iPhone/XCode thing, so there was a learning curve. I'd say about half of that time I was actually working.

There were some significant hurdles. Dynamics CRM is a Microsoft product and as such needs to be hosted on a Windows Server which means you will most likely be dealing with NTLM Authentication. The iPhone doesn't really handle this that well. You kind of have to roll your own connection, or find something that you can work with. After that, it was mainly studying the shit out of the XML produced by both requests and responses, reading through the various bits of Metadata and actual data.
Also, mapping is a bit more awkward than you might think. In iPhone 3.0 (IIRC) they added the MapView which allows you to add a Google Map to your app internally. However, it works solely on latitude/longitude pairs. In order to actually use addresses, you have to make requests to Google to geocode the address. Directions are much in the same boat. The MapView doesn't do directions. Once again, you have to request directions from Google, then parse the results (which are encoded using a very specific scheme), then manually draw the route. It's a bit of work for what amounts to little results.

I've also run into issues with Objective-C's weird memory management model. The retain counting can cause some problems.
No signature.