What does everyone do for work?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: What does everyone do for work?

Post by mrneo240 »

I don't work
spencer723
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by spencer723 »

I'm a firmware engineer at AMD. I figured my work would help me with homebrew Dreamcast development :grin:
Sirslash katana
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sirslash katana »

Installing network for hospitals and sometimes auto plants
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I finished my computer science degree and instead of getting a job in the field, I got deathly ill, nearly died and now I'm on permanent disability
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Soldier of Fortune
Across the Universe
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Well; let's do a recap.

Graduated college in 2008 with a double major in Broadcast Journalism & Advertising. Lived in Milwaukee, WI; and since it was a bad time for the job market all I could find was retail work at Whole Foods. Worked there for a couple years doing various things, then eventually decided I wanted to leave the Midwest and move out to the west coast.

Moved to Los Angeles at the end of 2010 with the idea of having a WFM transfer set; well, it fell through so I picked up a job at my former (retail) employer, Apple.

I eventually moved over to the inventory side and got pretty familiar with SAP-- since our store was a flagship it had a lot of corporate attention, and I was doing some neat reporting with SAP and theft/loss/top sellers, all that sort of stuff.

After five years there, I saw a former Apple coworker post for an entry-level IT job at a company in Venice (CA). Took the interview and got the job. The company was more or less a startup; and the show Silicon Valley hit a little bit too close to home.

In any case, there was a LOT of opportunity there for someone that wanted to get their feet wet and learn. I ended up pushing out fairly large projects that changed the landscape of the tech-side of the company, and quickly moved up the ranks in IT. At the end of 2016 the manager of the department left, and I was put into the role based off C-level's feedback.

Ended up being an incredibly rewarding job-- we performed a campus move over to Marina del Rey, and I got a hand in designing the entire tech infrastructure of the buildings; dealing with contracts, and all that stuff. The move ended up being successful, and I had a fantastic team that I had cultivated. At a certain point, I felt the hybrid environment was as far as I could push it and began looking for other paths forwards. Oh; also it somehow ended up where the CEO was my boss. A lot to unpack there but I'll save it and just say that I was one of the only people that 'challenged' him on things-- but he liked that. Won a lot of good favor with him and other higher-ups over those few years.

Fortunately because the company was still fairly small (300 people); and I had great relationships with people there I was able to jump over to the SRE Team within Engineering. I've been involved with that since; and although it was definitely a big jump initially (and very difficult to follow), I've landed on my feet. Since moving over we've done a complete rearchitecture of the cloud accounts; split off a subsidiary and are now moving into global stuff.

Funny that I tried to leave the technology field in college for so long, when the writing was on the wall and this is what I'm good at. Should have taken note from my DCE days :)

On the personal side, I've been with my partner for ~8 years now! She's an art director over at Nickelodeon and we're living that DINK lifestyle for now. Not sure what the long term looks like with house prices in Los Angeles being what they are; but slowly starting to think about the future and what it looks like.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Move over from Amazon Ramona Flowers, Don Ramon is delivering these packages, can't escape physical labor, cant move like was 20 years ago.
Off the clock Im a on/off pimp to many chicks in the city, problem is, they're in relationships atm.
The architect either luvs or the netherlord does not let me go back to butchering cattle in the slaughterhouse.
Like El Guapo says, I have a plethora, Im still looking where the plethora of them are 🤷‍♂️
Xylene
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Xylene »

sysadmin at an MSP.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Roofus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:42 pm I finished my computer science degree and instead of getting a job in the field, I got deathly ill, nearly died and now I'm on permanent disability
Whoa. What happened? You can spare as many details or not reply at all; just hope that you're doing okay.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Got a degree in networking, so I decided to drive a tow truck. Been doing it for 5 years after 15 years of dispatching them.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Last year when COVID lockdowns were still red light/green light/on-again/off-again and computer parts were really overpriced, I bought a lot of precision tools and soldering equipment and started fixing lots of broken electronics: consoles, optical drives/mechanical assemblies, drop-damage laptops, PCBs, etc. I live within walking distance of a post office and a store that sells basic shipping supplies, so I started selling some of the things that were fixed or restored online to buy more broken stuff to fix. I did small-scale consumer IT in my local area on the side and started gaining regular customers from referrals. This mix of things turned into a small business with a lot of work, very demanding hours, and tight margins. Last year, I got really close to signing a minimum 3-year lease and taking over a shop space, but some others had eyes on it, started outbidding each other, and went way over what I could risk. Earlier this year I lucked into an enterprise IT job with a fintech company. It pays a lot more and the workload is a lot less intense, so I'm happy.
These users thanked the author Eviltaco64X for the post:
|darc|
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

USPS since Oct 2021, soon working for a trucking company delivering freight in the East, Mid-West, and South
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

condominium security
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I have a stalker that won't leave me alone, so I don't post details about myself. But just IT forever. :|

Suffice to say, things were going ok, but now they are awful.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

MulletMan13 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:28 pm Well; let's do a recap.

Graduated college in 2008 with a double major in Broadcast Journalism & Advertising. Lived in Milwaukee, WI; and since it was a bad time for the job market all I could find was retail work at Whole Foods. Worked there for a couple years doing various things, then eventually decided I wanted to leave the Midwest and move out to the west coast.

Moved to Los Angeles at the end of 2010 with the idea of having a WFM transfer set; well, it fell through so I picked up a job at my former (retail) employer, Apple.

I eventually moved over to the inventory side and got pretty familiar with SAP-- since our store was a flagship it had a lot of corporate attention, and I was doing some neat reporting with SAP and theft/loss/top sellers, all that sort of stuff.

After five years there, I saw a former Apple coworker post for an entry-level IT job at a company in Venice (CA). Took the interview and got the job. The company was more or less a startup; and the show Silicon Valley hit a little bit too close to home.

In any case, there was a LOT of opportunity there for someone that wanted to get their feet wet and learn. I ended up pushing out fairly large projects that changed the landscape of the tech-side of the company, and quickly moved up the ranks in IT. At the end of 2016 the manager of the department left, and I was put into the role based off C-level's feedback.

Ended up being an incredibly rewarding job-- we performed a campus move over to Marina del Rey, and I got a hand in designing the entire tech infrastructure of the buildings; dealing with contracts, and all that stuff. The move ended up being successful, and I had a fantastic team that I had cultivated. At a certain point, I felt the hybrid environment was as far as I could push it and began looking for other paths forwards. Oh; also it somehow ended up where the CEO was my boss. A lot to unpack there but I'll save it and just say that I was one of the only people that 'challenged' him on things-- but he liked that. Won a lot of good favor with him and other higher-ups over those few years.

Fortunately because the company was still fairly small (300 people); and I had great relationships with people there I was able to jump over to the SRE Team within Engineering. I've been involved with that since; and although it was definitely a big jump initially (and very difficult to follow), I've landed on my feet. Since moving over we've done a complete rearchitecture of the cloud accounts; split off a subsidiary and are now moving into global stuff.

Funny that I tried to leave the technology field in college for so long, when the writing was on the wall and this is what I'm good at. Should have taken note from my DCE days :)

On the personal side, I've been with my partner for ~8 years now! She's an art director over at Nickelodeon and we're living that DINK lifestyle for now. Not sure what the long term looks like with house prices in Los Angeles being what they are; but slowly starting to think about the future and what it looks like.
Wow, thanks for sharing.
Moral of the story, you got to leave your town.
I've been in stuck in San Antonio to long.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

MulletMan13 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:39 am
Roofus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:42 pm I finished my computer science degree and instead of getting a job in the field, I got deathly ill, nearly died and now I'm on permanent disability
Whoa. What happened? You can spare as many details or not reply at all; just hope that you're doing okay.
A year later is better than nothing. :lol: Yeah. It was partly just a progression of a chronic condition. I don't have good lymph nodes. My legs were always kind of puffy, with the left one being worse but it wasn't bad, I could do stuff. Then my dad got sick and eventually died and the stress of that aggravated it and I got worse. Finally, by a stroke of luck the month after I finally graduated, had my degree and a job lined up I got a bad infection in the left leg. I went septic, nearly died and it destroyed what little lymph nodes I had left. My left leg swelled up huge. Stage 4 lymphedema (there are only 4 stages.) Walking is hard, driving is out. I can't sit or stand for too long, or do much more any more but go to doctor's appointments.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Roofus wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:52 pmI finally graduated, had my degree and a job lined up I got a bad infection in the left leg. I went septic, nearly died and it destroyed what little lymph nodes I had left. My left leg swelled up huge. Stage 4 lymphedema (there are only 4 stages.) Walking is hard, driving is out. I can't sit or stand for too long, or do much more any more but go to doctor's appointments.
Holy... please try a whole foods plant based diet. It's probably the only thing that might help, so it's worth a shot:

https://fightlymphedema.com/plant-based ... ymphedema/

https://www.lwocommunity.co.uk/plant-based-diet'
Insane homebrew collector.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Christuserloeser wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:33 pmHoly... please try a whole foods plant based diet. It's probably the only thing that might help, so it's worth a shot:

The only thing that might help???

Don't do this -- An entirely plant based diet is not healthy in the long term, even if it improves short term health as a result of transitioning from a SAD (standard American diet).
It's thinking...
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

|darc| wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:56 pm
Christuserloeser wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:33 pmHoly... please try a whole foods plant based diet. It's probably the only thing that might help, so it's worth a shot:

Don't do this -- An entirely plant based diet is not healthy in the long term, even if it improves short term health as a result of transitioning from a SAD (standard American diet).
Thanks. I'm used to it. I've heard it all. Plant-based, gluten free, CBD, etc. Everyone's got advice and everyone assumes I haven't tried it. Oh well. :lol:
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Roofus wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:44 pm
|darc| wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:56 pm

Thanks. I'm used to it. I've heard it all. Plant-based, gluten free, CBD, etc. Everyone's got advice and everyone assumes I haven't tried it. Oh well. :lol:
So what's the prognosis?
Hope things are incrementally better.